Thursday, March 21, 2013

Joan Walsh Anglund Planters: The Destiny of Things Story LXIII

Joan Walsh Anglund Childhood Planters:  The Destiny of Things Story LXIII

Remember her books?  Timeless and enjoyed by children and adults from the 60s to the present!  My books are lost in my hoard somewhere, but I found the planters that I've had since childhood!


They were ordered by a Joan Walsh Anglund fan and she left me a story!

Note from Buyer

Hello,
these are adorable...growing up in the 70's I was a huge fan of Joan Walsh Anglund :)
Will give one to my mother for Mother's Day & may keep the other 2 for myself... I am picturing miniature African violets in them :)

Thank you Mitzik of Whimsies and Beasties for the memories from letting these go!  See her creative diverse work at her etsy shop here!


I loved everything Joan Walsh Anglund, except dolls, so I never had one of her pocket dolls, but I had her flower pots and many books instead! I can't remember who gave them to me as a child, but do remember growing purple Lobelia flowers in the them--much easier than African Violets.  They were also one of my favorite flowers to press and make cards with.

I loved to rearrange my room and often moved these planters around, usually from my dresser to my wall of shelving.  I also kept plants in an antique hot pot which is from a neighbor who told me she brought them to California when she was a child in a covered wagon from Tennessee.  It's still available here.

Note to self:  Find her tea set in my hoard too and JAW books.

On a weekly basis I would go to our backyard and pick flowers too and displayed them in old clay single serving teapots my Grandmother had saved as souvenirs from her train journeys in Japan.  I used to spend long enjoyable hours arranging my dresser and room!


Saying Good-bye:  A momentary slight tinge of conflict to let go, only because when it comes to things from my childhood, I know I can never get them back, but I have plenty from my childhood and if I keep them all their will be no room for the music art room that still looks like this!

Instead of the conflicted feelings growing into panic and seller's remorse, I asked myself will I remember this in six months?  Most likely not.  When was the last time I used these?  Over 40 years ago!  Are they bringing me closer or further away from my dream?  Further away... and off they went---straight into it's packaging box ready to ship the next day!

I am staying focused and thankful that three of my items are going to two new lives and two new homes and bringing me closer to my dream of a Minimalist Organic home with a music art room, rather than unused hoard storage, even if it is from my childhood!

I imagine them in their beautiful new homes being used everyday with their new lives holding African violets, just like my Mom and Grandmother grew on their bathroom counters and kitchen windowsills!

What I Learned:

1.  I've been a tiny bit suspicious towards my new feelings towards my hoarded items and letting them go so easily and painlessly, but it has been put to test!  Too bad during the night, everyone slept miserably due to getting sick with the head cold going around!

During the morning health concerns and  flurry, the Joan Walsh Anglund package was left behind... was I was too sick to lament over it or has all the practice of letting go paid off so my dreams can come true?  Only time will tell....

2.  New news about JAW!  She is working on several new projects and her website periodically offers her original art for sale.  She lives in rural New England.  Official website here.

3.  Old News:  JAW has written and illustrated over 95 books over the past 50 years, mostly for children and the young at heart.  Born Joan Marie Walsh on January 3, 1925,  and has lived in Hinsdale, IL and Redding, CT.  Joan Walsh Anglund was educated at the American Academy of Art and the Chicago Art Institute.


Her first  published book was "A Friend is Someone Who Likes You," in 1958.  Her most recent book is "Faith is a Flower" published in 2006.  In the past, she has found inspiration from her children, Joy and Todd.


4.  Those of you who are fans are in good company, other fans, include:  Eleanor Roosevelt, Queen Elizabeth, Cary Grant, Jackie Onassis, the Emperor of Japan, Elizabeth Taylor and many more! See the complete list here with a photo of JAW and  the rest of her bio!

Info. from ktrapp of hubpages and children's literature network.




Thank you Mitzi for sharing your story with me and giving item #228 of my hoarder history two new lives and two new homes!  Also, thank you for my first Mother's Day story!  I hope your Mom enjoys the JAW planter with African Violets on May 12.  The classic bathroom and kitchen flower of choice back in the 70s!  I love your double nostalgic classic gift!

Again, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she receives this for Mother's Day!  Any kind of update is welcome!

See her etsy shop,  Mitzik of  Whimsies and Beasties.  She makes a little bit of a lot, like polymer clay sculptures, altered art, jewelry, pin cushions, felted figurines, my favorite are her dog toys and more!

Thank you etsy for the best outlet for me as a recovering hoarder!  I am so thankful that I am not only dispersing my hoard, but meeting new people who are helping me along my Hoarder Rehab adventures bringing me closer to a life unknown without hoarding!

Thank you US, UK, Germany, Singapore, Canada, France, Netherlands and Russia for taking part in my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!


What memories do Joan Walsh Anglund bring to you?


Other Stories from my childhood items:

1.  Copper Souvenir Bracelets from Chile:  went to a collector who grew up in a copper town from Chile!

2.  Mid Century Modern Miniature TV:  just like the real one my Grandmother had in her living room!

3.  Miniature Wooden Train Set:  When letting go was difficult and I would buy another childhood item to replace it, which made my heart feel better and reduce stress, but my mind knew it was a viscous cycle!

Stories Shared from Other People's Childhoods:

1.  Baton Twirling Book:  a Mother who taught her daughter to baton twirl as soon as she could hold one!

2.  Mr. Happy Plush Toy:  two brother with their Mr. Happy collection from 7 years old!

3.  70s Precious Moment's Figurine:  Still Best Friends from childhood!

4.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Figurine:  Siblings from the 80s

5.  Mosler Toy Bank Vault:  New memories for a son's Hugo-esque birthday!

6.  Turquoise Sandcast Bracelet:  childhood trip to a cousin's with twin souvenir bracelets

7.  Polaroid Cameras:  a sister passing down antiquity and childhood to baby brother and cousins

8.  US Puzzle Maps:  A grandmother passing down her memories of childhood to her grandchildren

9.  Freddy the Frog Puppet:  childhood memories of a favorite toy and reconnecting with Dad

10.  "Happy Birthday" Heller Hostess Ware:  making memories for God children.

11.  Waechtersbach Red "You Are Special" Plate:  my first collected story of a Granddaughter and Grandmother's special memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment