Sunday, December 23, 2012

In Santa's Arms: The Destiny of Things, Story XXVI

 In Santa's Arms:  The Destiny of Things, Story XXVI
 started Oct. 29, 2012, miniature train from childhood miniature collection, revised 23dec2012

I've had that train since I was a little girl and it holds good memories in it!

As a child, I spent hours arranging and rearranging my miniature collection on two bedroom shelves that were painted pepto bismo pink!  I didn't know it back then but my miniature family had a two story loft!

I spent a lot of time with my bedroom decor back then.  Not only rearranging my miniatures, but my own bedroom furniture.  I also arranged fresh cut flowers from the backyard weekly for my miniature family, my own book shelves and dresser.  I kept potted plants too.  I still have an antique cast iron hot pot I used as a planter and my Joan Walsh Anglund planters.


Note from Buyer Hi, Thank you for the shipping break. I make Santa's and will put it in his arms. Katie


Saying Good-bye:  Thanks for helping me let go! It's so much easier when there is such a good story like yours! I'd love to see it with your Santa!  See all of Katies dolls, including Santa!


What I Learned:

1.  It was easier to say good-by then, than it is now!

Problem:  I think holiday stress is a big factor on how attached and what regrets I have later about letting go of some of my things.  I suppose that's why my hoarding cycle is perpetual.  I let go of something wisely and easily, yet stress, in this case, family holiday stress brings back ideas two fold.  I miss my stuff!  I think I can recycle them in some way to keep them close.  I don't want to regret losing any more of my stuff!

Although I do seem to get over it eventually.  I hope at some point in time, I find better stress relievers so I don't go back to buying the stuff I let go!  Family holiday stress starts in November, builds up til Christmas, builds up some more til New Year's day and seems to wind down in March.

Solution:  1)  When is enough enough?  How do I set limits?  2)  Release my stress into crafting!  My latest solution to my childhood items is to set a limit.  Yesterday, Sat. 22dec2012, I started an art piece called, "Childhood Dreams"  It is an old cardboard treasure chest and it will hold items I coveted as a child.

Like this penny lipgloss that all my friends had, but me! That sounds so funny now!
It sounds silly, but this less than $5 item, including shipping is my stocking stuffer gift to myself and is will be the first of  "childhood dreams" art piece!  And it released a whole lot of stress!

Notes to self:  my miniature perfume collection is housed in a display case.  Once emptied it can house my childhood things I can not list yet.  Also, my gumball machine can house stuff too.  And I have a tin treasure chest somewhere and I can fill it.  That will be my set limit!

Hoarder Inspiration or Desperation:  Am I being inspired by finding a way to keep some of my childhood items in art?  or am I giving myself a reason to buy more stuff when I'm stressed?  AND the million dollar question!  Where will I keep these four art items?  Only time will tell!

Thank you etsy again for the HoarderRehab connections!  Thank you Katie of katiesdolls for leaving me your story! 

They are on sale this week for only $29!  That has got to be labor of love pricing because her incredibly made Santa dolls are made from tea stained muslin, recycled antique cutter quilts, his beard is bumpy wool yarn and in my favorite part is he holds many toys for the kids, like a patchwork quilted heart, a doll and a teddy bear, an old wooden alphabet block and maybe even "someone's" childhood miniature train!

Thank you for joining me!  What do you do to unload stress?



Post Notes:  I decided that filling up a gumball machine, two treasure chests and my wall display case was too much!  I'm leaving out the treasure chests.  I also have many broken items I can't seem to let go of either, like a native american tourist bracelet I wore so much it broke and a dime store wallet my grandfather gave me, so I'll have one called, "childhood dreams" and the other one called, "broken dreams".  I'd like to do a series, another one called, "lost dreams".  I'll have to see what I can do without buying much.

Oh, maybe I should start a picture collection instead, like Julie Yarrington on pinterest.  Luckily her "Blast from My Past" is pretty much like mine! which is good because I can't navigate well on pinterest yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment