Monday, December 3, 2012

As a Techless Hoarder Etsy Newbie: Story #1: Why and How I Started this Blog

As a Techless Hoarder Etsy Newbie:  Story #1:  Why and How I Started this Blog

How did a techless hoarder etsy newbie start a blog?  and why....

Award winning pics submitted by windupkitty to Allee Willis' Museum of Kitsch:

No one was really looking or buying my vintage clothing, on VintageToGoetsy or HoarderRehab, so I thought I'd cheer it up with my Hi Cat Fashion Head.  No go!  Mr. oz and I seemed to be the only ones cheered on by it!  Weeks went by and just when I was losing heart over my Hi Cat Fashion Cat I got an email about it!

A complete stranger, windupkitty submitted it to Allee Willis' Museum of Kitsch and it was accepted into the permanent collection of her Museum of Kitsch and it even won some awards, one of them being the highest honor of the Classique d’ Camembert award

I was floored, honored and aghast!  Not only had I made windupkitty's day but she said she laughed til she was in tears and found the shock and surprise so funny, she submitted it immediately.  You can read her story at Alle's, Museum of Kitsch here: "Hoarder Rehab Seller on Etsy"


I've always wanted to start a blog and for the past four years, I wondered if I could actually be a "blogger."  It seems to take a lot of dedication, time, consistency and you have to know your way around a computer.  I am able to navigate around my email and window shop online, but that's about it.

I spent over a year reading hundreds of blogs because it was all I could do when I was sick, besides watch what seemed to be everything on netflix, including A&E's Hoarders. 

I learned many things from other people's blogs and one thing I knew is I couldn't have a blog with just text.  It takes talent and skill to be a "text" only blogger and as a hoarder, without pics, how would I describe my hoard?  If a picture speaks a thousand words, without pics, I'd not only be hoarding thousands upon thousands of words, I'd be drowning in them!  However, taking pics and loading them just hasn't worked for me. Pictures were the last thing holding me back!



Several motivating factors helped build enough courage and skill to begin my blog.  A large factor being writing helps me to get from one point to another when I'm lost.  It helps me to find the missing piece to the puzzle to see the big picture.  It might be a round about way of a maze, but in the end it gets me out with an answer.   I need some answers to find a way to end this repeating cycle of hoarding that's been following me around all my life!

Also, this blog is a form of going public with my hoarding adventure.  It feels safe here, like an announcement in the newspaper that no one reads.  It's not as scary as an AA or HA meeting, it's quiet, but public enough to let my thoughts out.  It's a place where I don't know anyone and I don't know if they know me.  As a hoarder that feels safe to me at this moment in time.  It's just an experimental journey to see if collecting and documenting these stories, instead of more things helps me to end this cycle and takes me somewhere new and unknown!

And lastly it's about how a random act of kindness from a complete strange turned into enough inspiration to start this blog, despite my techless ways.  One person's random act took me to a foreign place that strangely enough feels like home!

Windupkitty was very encouraging in her emails and said it was easy to submit on Allee Willis' Musuem of Kitsch or awmok.com, so even though I thought it was going to take tons of time and brain power, I tried it.  It wasn't so bad, since mr. oz has already posted the pics to the shops and he's an extremely patient teacher with an equally impatient student. 

Thank you mr. oz and most of all for repeating the same tech lessons over and over, like it was new.  I am a slow learner with a bad memory and it did take me awhile to master moving pics and adding text, but I was able to do submit my hoarded kitsch items on awmok.com and I was magically on my way to blogsville!

What I learned:

1.  It's never too late for an old dog to learn new tricks!

2.  I never know where the destiny of things will take me me and so far it's been to better places

3.  Strangers don't always mean, "stranger danger"

4.  Reading windupkitties stories are entertaining, amusing and so full of endless chuckling, especially her adventures with Sock Monkey at the MOMA and Sock Monkey in Willis Wonderland!

5.  Not knowing the "destiny of things" can be scary to anyone, but as a hoarder it's so terrifying I end up wanting to keep it all!  At least that way, I know their destiny, but now I know where some of them are going and some may even live a life of "destiny as infinity", so life as recovering hoarder is changing into something better on most days!  With that reminder I remind myself that my things aren't the only ones going somewhere!

Hoarder Inspiration:  A little inspiration can go a long way!  It didn't seem to take as much as I thought it would to get me started on a blog to help me through my HoarderRehab!

Hoarder Desperation:  Is this inspiration enough to keep my goal of posting one story a day to catch up and get rid of both my hoard at home and my hoard in drafts?  Or am I going to feel bogged down and stressed?

Parting Questions and Thoughts:  I read a framed saying on the wall of a friends bathroom that says, "it takes one opportunity in the right place to be luck".  If that's true, than can several random acts of kindness build up and turn into a miracle?  What do you think?  Has it happened to you or anyone you know?

Thank you windupkitty for submitting Katie Kat Kitsch of Hi Cat Fashion from HoarderRehab.  Thank you Allee Willis for providing another outlet for my hoard to reside in a permanent collection at your Museum of Kitsch.

Every time I visit awmok.com there's always something eye catching, rambunctiously funny and fun loving and it feels like a good dose of ol' fashioned down home atmosphere!  Everyone join in on the fun and chuckles and submit your kitsch!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Kennedy, I've been wondering how you were able to produce such a techmaster blog, I thought you must have hired a professional service to do it. Being techless myself I have to give you thunderous applause, for creating this blog and revealing your inner most thoughts. What an accomplishment. Kennedy your random acts of kindness on ETSY made me realize that complete strangers are not always stranger danger. You have put a face (although a cat face) on etsy for me as sense of real instead of lost in cyberspace, encouraged me to reach out, say hi and it actually does work.
    Ali HeyAlleyCat@etsy.com



    ReplyDelete
  2. HeyAlleyCat!

    Thank you for you all your kind comments and compliments!

    Yes, I had many many tech lessons from a patient teacher and the atmosphere over at Allee Willis' Musuem of Kitsch or awmok.com was so welcoming I felt right at home, so I started submitting my own posts with pictures over there and before I knew it, I felt comfortable enough to start my own blog.

    I think I see a blogger in you too from your comments! If someone as techless as me can do it, so can you! What do you think Ali from HeyAlleyCat? Will you be joining me in blogland?

    ReplyDelete