Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Destiny of Things: Room Service Plate Set, Story XX

The Destiny of Things: Room Service Plate Set, Story XX

Room Service:  "banquets to bite size affairs" I can honestly admit I bought these plates because of those words!  I'm a goner when simple design meets quirky words.  Which is probably why my vintage Japanese stationary collection is huge, but that's another story!

I've already lost count of my various collections of place sets I've started.
And I'm too tired to count!  Between last weekend's overload, the  Newton school shooting, my insomnia and the looming holidays I'm ready to fast forward to the New Year!  Onwards!

I've always liked to set the table with -mix and match- see what you get today- dinner table surprise!  I used to have a set of 6 of these hotel ware plates, but over the years I've used them as plant dishes and left them in various backyards.

About 3-4 years ago, when I went on a HUGE buying spree, I randomly found four of the egg cups that revived my search for this collection!  Only two lived through the shipping.  What was left of my collection sold on VintageToGoetsy and I got this tidbit of info from the buyer!

Feels just like real hotel china! I have the matching cups and saucers at home! Thank you! Alice
 Nov 30, 2012

I'd love to see her collection or at least the cups and saucers!

Saying Good-bye:  At the time, these were easy to let go to their new home, but between seeing all the stuff I used to have and seeing stuff like it at the California Designing Women exhibit at the Autry and reminiscing (dwelling, might be a better word) about them and six items selling on etsy over the weekend, including one of my childhood rings and my favorite rolling pin.

It has brought me to a stand still!  It has stirred up a bunch of -who-knows-what- that I can't process, feelings I can't identify and an overload of memories I can't remember, but rile me!

Too much has happened at once!

What happened?

1.  I don't know!  Not that I want them back, but I find myself searching for them and if they are at a bargain price, I'm tempted to rebuy them again!  I spent all day yesterday bedridden sick with a stomach ache that called for a bathroom radius of six feet!  What did I do?  I wandered around the net, window shopping all day long!

From my post, Clutter as Visual Noise Anne Fraser from LaughLand said , "Maybe it's not too much stuff that causes stress but stress that causes too much stuff". I think for me, initially, it might not be the hoard of items that causes stress, but the release of stress from buying them!  And then guilt for buying so much stuff!  Now that's a crazy making cycle!  I need better stress releasers!

2.  I'm not going to list anymore of my childhood jewelry til I get to the bottom of this!  That little ring was too much for me for some reason adding it with the rolling pin took me over the top!

I think with the rolling pin is the fact that my mother practically admitted that there is one thing I can do as well or better than her and that's make a pie crust! hahaha-that's so funny as I write this and also so "sadly" ah-hah!  Have I been in competition with my mom for as long as I can remember?  Maybe so.  How did my life get like that?

2.  All these years, til I just stopped trying, I had been searching to find a connection with my mom.  No wonder it's been so difficult for me to find something in common with her!  Does it turn into a competition?  I can hear her words all over again, "it would have been better, if you had done it this way, or why did you do that?  that's not how it's done!  why do you keep doing that?  you could do better!"  Even if I had won first place in a competition, I can't remember any acknowledgement, except the feelings of "you could have done better!"

Maybe that's why as an artist, I only made art for myself, wrote stories for myself, am my only private collector!  I put meaning into things, instead of other people.  It was just too scary!  Except for teaching, I poured everything into my students and maybe that was easier because they had less than me and there was a time limit on my investing in them.  It was safe being in a pack of underdogs!

3.  Eureka!  I struck gold this time!  That was huge chunk of my hoard mentality!  During my teenage years, I  told my mother that I wasn't going to live her dreams with my life.  I wonder if the competition started as a child when she was already comparing my abilities to conform with her dreams.  When is enough enough?

4.  During high school, I knew exactly what I was going to do, but instead I ended up wandering around in college trying to figure out what she wanted me to do that I could do at least halfheartedly until neither of us got anything!  I've compromised my dreams to include hers and that didn't bring us any closer together.  My hoard that accumulates every 5-10 years is a connection so "mind boggling" with unending topics!

5.  I need to find healthy simple, inexpensive ways to destress!  Ones that don't involve fast food, comfort foods from my childhood, a shopping spree, other nervous bad habits and/or shutting down!

6.  Maybe dispersing my hoard thoughtfully, consciously and willingly, instead of out of desperation, urgency and unconscious "ill will" will help me break this cycle, reconcile on a piece of common ground and help me find new dreams of my own!

  I love circular logos!

It's time for some quietness to "listen, allow, trust, honor and let go" add forgiveness and thankfulness too.

Thank you for joining me on my HoarderRehab journey today!

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this wonderful designs, these are perfect suggestion for designing our home. I am really pleased to see these pictures that you have shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit and positive comments. Your site has oodles of various types of home interior examples. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete