Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Home for Turquoise: The Destiny of Things, Story XXXI

New Home for Turquoise:  The Destiny of Things, Story XXXI

My Native American collection is vast to massive and probably only half has been listed!
Thankfully many of the listed pieces have sold, mainly bracelets and crosses.  I still have several bracelets to list, barrettes and necklaces.  I can no longer wear metals due to allergies and even the barrettes give me a reaction.

The bracelet below I named "no more tears" and always reminds me of the song, "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head".  I haven't listened to that song, since-I don't know when- so long ago, I can barely remember any of the lyrics and  I thought it was the Andy Williams version, but it's not, it's the Burt Bacharach version with ukele? and the horns, although I've always liked Andy Williams whistling at the end.  It's a toss up between the horns and whistling, but the Bachrarach version has got a more upbeat tempo.

I had to listen to both versions more than ten times before I could stop crying tears of joy and sadness!  That song is my new theme song for my hoard adventure!

Which took me forward to the Carpenter's, "Rainy Days and Mondays", which I learned to play on the piano and loved to play over and over and over again!   I had the album and the 45, but played the 45 on continuous! Close to You...on the piano too, it has such a catching touchy feely opening...that's got to be a classic baby shower song!  Then there's Yesterday Once More -"every melody as they melt the years away all my best memories come back clearly to me some can even make me cry just like before, it's yesterday once more"

Don't even get me started on Peter, Paul and Mary or Simon and Garfunkel!!!!

I almost didn't make it out of "you tube" nostalgia!  Maybe my noise intolerance has gotten better and I can listen to more songs now?  Anyways....where was I?

The Tally:  Who's counting?  I stopped counting the bracelets, but since it's such an eye opener to myself in relation to my hoard I will continue to count my collections within collections!

20 Native American bracelets:  Honestly I thought it was more like 12 and I would wear them stacked, but all 20?  I don't think so!  And this doesn't include my Taxco or bracelets from India!  Yikes!
5+ Native American rings:  This is off the top of my head and does not inlclude my Taxco, religious or stacking band rings.  Oh my!

13+ Native American necklaces, pendants, charms, barrettes and earrings: oh no, this is making me nervous

It's probably safe to say I have 50+ Native American pieces and that doesn't include artifacts, like baskets, dolls and arrowheads!


One of my favorite types of Native American jewelry are the sand cast ones.  I have several.  The twin turquoise ones, I found separately, but wore inseparately, but one has already sold.

They remind me of making rainbow sand candles over and over in kindergarten and first grade happily and tirelessly.

I don't know how they are made, but it's got to be fascinating!


I was so happy to wear these again for pic day! but also apprehensive because I was hoping I wouldn't have a reaction.  No go!  These were all taken on different days until I finally gave up.  I had a reaction each time.

Nothing like I used to get, but uncomfortable enough to not wear them for more than five minutes!

Some buyers said they wished I had polished them before shipping.

I tried polishing them too, no go.  I tried polishing them wearing gloves, better, but too slow.

Finally, I've hired someone to polish them.

Back to the email:

Simple words make me happy!  Just eleven words is all it took! 


 photo courtesy of paintthelight

"Kennedy, I love my pieces, I will wear them often- thanks!" ---paintthelight

September 12, 2012 was my super lucky day because the email came with a pic too!  Too bad I had forgotten the password to that account and got the 48 hour block countless times til I forgot to recheck it and finally this month, I remembered and could also answer my own chosen question for password protection correctly!  But it was worth it because what a surprise to find this emailed story and yesterday's story!

Saying Good-bye:  I love the stacked look!  I used to wear many rings and bracelets stacked!  Sigh, miss it!  I see it them stacked on someone else and want to start collecting all over again. The weirdest part is I can't seem to remember that I'm allergic to them and want to keep them!  Why is that?

What I Learned:

1.  Many of my "things" were/are my coping mechanisms through hard times that I pushed down and swept under the rug until I didn't know what they were or where they were.  Did I unconsciously buy this bracelet and named it "no more tears"? so the song, "Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head" would help me through the years and end up being my HoarderRehab theme song?

2.  I was influenced at an early age by my aunt who wore her bracelets stacked.  The two I remember are a  medium to large intricate yet simple sand cast bracelet and wear it with an old gold bracelet with an evergreen dark jade oval in the middle of it.  The jade looks like it's just been glued on and the gold is dark and looks sand cast too!

Later it was revived and reinforced by pics of Beatrice Wood having tea with someone from a magazine.  I loved the look so much I have the ripped out pages of them somewhere in my hoard!  Yep!  I hoard pics, pages and paper that I like for no reason other than I like it!  (I saw her earthenware being shown at the Autry with other California Designing Women until Jan. 6, 2012 curated by Bill Stern, who emailed his story also)

3.  Movies and TV shows that are now coming back to me too.  I think I've watched them for answers on how to cope with stress.  For instance, yesterday's post reminded me of Amelie and her sad beginnings to the happy ending her adventure of returning the box of secret hidden toys while better connecting with those around her! 

Today's post reminds me of the Biscuit on Ally McBeal and all his silly gimmicky coping mechanism antics that worked for him, which gives me hope that this blog will work to end my hoarding ways this time around for the better!

Let's see who to thank today?  Thank you paintthelight for sending me your email titled, New Home for Turquoise with a pic!  Thank you etsy for another connection!  Thank you "youtube" for having so many oldie old songs!

Thank you for being with me as I walk, stumble, fall, stand and sometimes fly through my HoarderRehab clutziness adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment