Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Destiny of Things: Not My College Mugs! Story XXII

The Destiny of Things:  Not My 80s College Mugs! Story XXII

First this was story VIII, then XII and now it's XXII, oh my! when will I finish it?

My ever faithful "frivolous" mug!  In college "frivolous" was one of my favorite words!
Side Kick Story: This is my favorite mug from my long lost mug collection. I got this mug when I was in college at a store called "Doo Dah" in the Cerritos Mall, California. At the same time, I bought a very tall Empire State building light there too.  Both I couldn't afford, but bought anyway. These are the first two things I bought for my college apartment.  It wasn't intentional, but how frivolous was that!?!

Side Note: Doo Dah definition: a nameless thing which may be of unknown or forgotten origin.  No wonder I was always drawn to that store!  Sounds like my memories all hoarded into things and then wake up at the moment of looming departure!

I don't know why I listed my college mugs on VintageToGoetsy, but I must have had more courage at the time!  Or maybe I didn't think anyone would buy them or was hoping no one would buy them? And I didn't think they'd both leave me at the same time to the same person!

Side Kick Story: This is the coffee mug I would use to get me motivated to "clean up around here!"

I would have several cups of coffee out of this mug while listening to my mixed cassette of "Clean the House" music, Ravel's, "Bolero",  Beethoven's "Symphony #5", Wagner's, "Ride of the Valkyries",  James Brown's "I Feel Good!", George Clinton's "Atomic Dog", from my 80s clean the house mix tape to Lo Fidelity AllStars, "Battleflag" added to my 90s clean the house mix tape!

I loved my mixed tapes and the ones from my friends!  I don't have many of those left, if any!  

Okay, now that I'm noise intolerant and highly allergic to dust, molds and commercial cleaning products---which is a whole other story.

While listing this mug, I wanted to know what Baikin-kun meant in Japanese and I found this:

Quote from Iron Lace on flickr, "I remember asking my Japanese teacher what his name meant, & was very amused to find out it meant something like "Mr. Germ". It's a pretty weird concept having a "germ boy" that is obsessed with cleanliness! Only in Japan, I guess! :-)"

Even more incredible is the person I quoted ordered them!  I was hoping to one day be able to thank Iron Lace for the cool informational quote! and I did!  These mugs were reunited with a lover of all things 80s!  Especially kawaii 80s! collector/artist in Australia!

Talk about the laws of attraction!  And she said this isn't the first time it's happened for her!  She also collects glass hand vases and wrote an article in 2007 about them and finds her quotes on ebay about them.

I've met the nicest people on etsy: browsers, buyers, sellers, inquirers, even other self made hoarders!  Actually, many potential borderline, -I don't know what to call them-hoarders, who instead have chosen to collect in abundance for various reasons.

See her entire 80s collection on flickr:  Frivolous , Baikin kun, glass hand vase collection and more!

Congratulations Marinka aka Iron Lace  See her art opening of her drawings at the Art Gallery of New South Wales here!  Get to know her better here!  We have a lot in common despite her not being a hoarder and me not being an 80's collector, except for just happening to hoard through that era!  See what you have in common with us too!


Saying Good-bye:   I used to have an extensive mug collection with probably at least 20-50 mugs, ranging from the glasbake square mugs, Far Side, Sanrio, World's Greatest, etc.  Most of those went to donation and the glasbake square mugs went to a friend.  These two were my favs. and some others listed here.

These caused some problems to let go, mainly because both mugs were ordered at the same time and even though they went to the perfect home, an 80s collector of kawaii goods, it was devastating and I ended up buying some washi tape to release the stress over it.  So basically I transferred my stress from one hoard to another!


I only spent $12, including shipping on bouquet 4 spool set of washi tape from mechakucha 808.  I got 8 mini spools of washi tape of 6 feet each!  I love her prices, assortments, packaging and extra goodies!  Plus she's a really nice etsy seller!

So I suppose that's a small price to pay until I figure out better ways to manage my stress.  I need to figure out some workable stress releasers that are free, healthful, instant and don't cause weight gain or hoard gain!

Before if the anxiety was too much, I had to buy something instantly, whether it be french fries, online shopping, thrift and/or dollar store.  With practice, it's getting somewhat better and now I can wait a few days to weeks, depending on the departed item.  I at least make wish lists with budget amounts, like $20 and under including shipping online, $10 thrift and $5 at the dollar store.


Good news is that my wish lists are getting so old, many of the items on it are "out of stock", which does create another type of stress I get from FOMO, "fear of missing out".  I deal with it, by telling myself I have plenty to work with and right now, space is more important than accumulating more things.  It works most of the time!

More good news is I found mending as a way to release some stress and anxiety from departing items.  Last weekend, I mended my favorite jeans at the knee for the Autry outing, but I bent down to collect some ginkyo leaves and they ripped again!  I spent some time remending them today and will apply a patch on the back side tomorrow or later today.  It was quite exciting and amusing to me!

Mending my jeans and going to the Autry and listening to Gere Kavanaugh talk about how working with your hands connects a part of yourself that transpires a reality and teaches unexplainable things is so true for me.  That little hint may be a huge clue on how to offset my hoarder stress of detachment without eating, shopping or drifting around the net- to help break bad habits of my destressing spiraling cycle!

I can't thank etsy enough for this HoarderRehab outlet and for the interesting kind people I'm meeting along the way!

Thank "YOU" for joining me in the "up and down" journey of "The Destiny of Things!"

Post date idea:  I probably should address my issues with my hoard of washi tape and dig deep to figure out why I still want more!  Also, maybe post pics of mended jeans under "Creative Outlets"

No comments:

Post a Comment