Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Destiny of Things: Mistaken Identity Vintage Measure Cups, Story XIX

The Destiny of Things: Mistaken Identity Vintage Cup Measure, Story XIX,  From Embarrassing Mistake to Joy!

Started Tues.11.December.2012  5:12pm EDT

Sometimes, maybe all the time and but I'm blind to it, mistakes flip, like turning over a new leaf!  It happened today!

I shipped off the wrong ones.
I got an email at VintageToGoetsy from Wesley letting me know I had sent the wrong ones!  Dang it!  Oopsy!

My hoard is getting more organized, but keeping track of the hoard, well, obviously isn't happening as well as I thought!  My usual habit from chronic insomnia is like sleeping walking, but awake!  I start something and end up somewhere else doing something else!  It happens to me all the time.  It's like opening the refrigerator and looking inside and I can't remember what I'm doing there.  I do that all day long.  I even have a name for it!  I call it "wandering!"

So I apologized to Wesley and explained that I need to keep better track of my inventory and to keep the cups I had sent and his order will be shipped tomorrow.  I felt silly and embarrassed, but what more could I do?

He wanted to return the other ones. I thought, eegads no, no, no, the post office is getting so busy this holiday season and I didn't want someone else to have to stand in any long line.  Plus, it was the least I could do to remedy my mistake.  And then he added this tidbit:  "I totally understand how these things can happen...... that's what makes life interesting :)"

So with that comment, I had more courage to ask one more time, if there was a story behind his purchase.  And he wrote back with this:


December 11, 2012 3:57pm EDT

Thank you very much. I have a rose colored three spout cup that matches perfect. If you ever run across one in green please let me know. There's no story behind my purchase other than I'm an old soul and can feel a connection to the past. I love to cook and remember sitting around the family table with my grandmother and feeling the love...... now I have a story for my two new additions to my kitchen. Take Care and Merry Christmas

Right ones!

So there is his/my story, short and sweet! We both have stories now! and what a story!  His old soul connection to the past and feeling the love around the family table with his grandmother was heart felt and reminded me of my own . And now that love carries over into his love of cooking!

Also his story reminded me of my Grandmother, although her love of cooking didn't carry over to me, every Thursday she would cook lunch for "an army of kings" for anyone who stopped by for the afternoon! 

When I sift through my hoard, I've been keeping an eye out  for her handwritten recipes on index cards.  Just seeing her handwriting brings back a tidal wave of memories and seemingly food smells from her kitchen.  But that's another story!

Saying Good-bye:  For some reason, it seems easier to let go with some kind of crisis going on.  I guess it's a distraction from my feelings, but now he has an instant collection of measure cups and one matches his rose colored one and I have four less things in my home, plus we both got stories!

What I learned:

1.  One minute I'm feeling silly and embarrassed and the next I'm "wow amazed" happy joyous and immediately started writing this!  My mistake wasn't so bad and it didn't last very long.  Even better there was no band aid or kicking myself involved, it just evolved into something better!

If I hadn't made the mistake I wouldn't have gotten this story!  It's reminds me of the Polaroid Camera Story XV.  I would have never gotten that story either, if she hadn't emailed for the link for film!

2.  Speaking of my Thursday lunches with my Grandmother, today is 12- 12-12 and it would have been her 100th birthday!  What a coincidence!

I will commemorate her auspicious birthday by remembering her continually dedicated Thursday "fit for a king" lunches and cook one in her memory.  And as of today, 12-12-12, my HoarderRehab adventure has taken me 147 pieces closer to my Hoard-Free Minimalist Organic home! Yes, 147 items of hoarder history have found new and better homes!

If you would like to see one of her permanent display items she had on her buffet cabinet that was behind her family table for as long as I can remember, it is here .  If you are familiar with the Bambi deer, Snow White or the Happy Dwarf in jewelry pics from HoarderRehab or The Destiny of Things, those are from her living room where we'd end up on the pretense of sitting more comfortably, but take our usual places for a nap!

The Destiny of Things:   Wesley's measuring cups remind him of sitting around the family table with his Grandmother and his story gave me memories of Thursday lunches with mine.  What item in your kitchen reunites you with thoughts of your Grandmothers?  Comment below, I'd love to know it!

I hope these two stories create more stories out there and everyone gets a "bit" of old soul goodness today!

I never know where a turn of events will take me on my adventures in HoarderRehab via VintageToGoetsy!  Thank you Wesley for understanding, telling your story and reminder that mistakes do make life more interesting!   Thank you etsy for a venue to dehoard, collect stories and end my hoarding cycles!

Thank "YOU" for joining me for another day in a HoarderRehab: The Destiny of  Things adventure!

UPDATE:  Wed. 20 February 2013 

I was roaming around the other day the net and ran into this green three spout measure cup and sent it to Wesley, since he said to let him know if I find one because he's collecting them.
February 16 2013 1:15pm EDT 

Hi Wesley!

I hope this email finds you well and happily cooking! How's your cup measure collection going?

This is the cheapest green three spout I could find today, however since I don't really shop for these, I don't know if it's a "true" bargain.

www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-Depression-Style-Glass-Measuring-Cup-NEW-/2711565...

Thanks again for the story that helps my dehoarding! Good luck and happy hunting!

~Kennedy




February 18 2013 5:34pm EDT 

Hi Kennedy,

All is well and I hope it is the same with you....Thank you sooo much for thinking about me and fowarding the link. My partner will be glad to know that there is some else helping me collect stuff :) Every time a new pan turns up I'm asked "where did that come from" and of course my response is " Ooo I've had that".

Take Care

Wesley

btw I used your measuring cup last night making cornbread

How coincidental and neat-o, is that!  He used my/his/our measuring cup for cornbread!  It's been two months and I don't miss the set of four cup measures one bit and it makes me happy and it is so encouraging to know someone out there is using them on a regular basis!  This dehoarding is working out better than I ever imagined!

Note to self:  Write about my other various past dehoarding purge experiences.

Thank you US, Germany, Moldova, Poland, Belgium, Canada, UK, Guatemala, Mauritius, Pakistan and Romania for your visits today for another easy happy time in my HoarderRehab adventures of The Destiny of Things via VintageToGoetsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment