Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Dragon Candle Holder, Cherry Blossom Tray and Celluloid Box: The Destiny of Things, Story XXVIII

Dragon Candle Holder, Cherry Blossom Tray and  Celluloid Box:  The Destiny of Things, Story XXVIII

It entralls me and I probably spend way too much time thinking over it, but many minute or trivial things boggle my mind!  Some things sit in my shop(s), some collecting tons of fav's, others nothing and then all of a sudden, everyone wants it!  Okay, not everyone, but two or more at the same time and some things have had a waiting list!

This is one of the items that two people wanted at the same time and even a tidbit of info I had randomly asked for came in on it, but by then, it didn't matter!--They just wanted it!

When it rains, it pours!

So to stop overworking my mind over time best spent elsewhere, I've had to tell myself, "first come, first served or first come, first reserved."

Oh wow, I'm a techless hoarder etsy newbie, but I thought I could see how many views a "sold" item had and how many and who fav'd it in the "sold" area, but it seems to be gone on this item.  I guess the "ever-evolving" etsy has changed that feature.  Let me look at the yearly stats. It had 270 views and was fav'd 29 times before it sold on Nov. 9, 2012 and now I can't find the info. of when it was listed.  Oh well.  I do know, it was listed twice.

I have some interesting theories and stats on my etsy shops and items, but that's another story!
Anyways, Lisa wanted this item and for her new bedroom "redo" decor and the dragon was for her hubby because he is born in the year of the dragon and she wanted to add candles to the mix, but it was on reserve for Red (also named Lisa) and had been on reserve for a long time.  I can't recall but over a week, I think.  Now I put time limits on reserved items, depending on it's "wantability" of  24-72 hours.

In the meantime, I didn't know how attached I was to the dragon candle holder until it went on "reserve" and had always wondered if it was Japanese, Chinese or Indonesian and when I listed it, asked if anyone "out there" knew more info on the it and the info. came forward around the same time too!  So I posted the below in the original listing:

NEW HOARDER HISTORY NEWS! Someone from etsy was nice enough take the time and email this info. to me!! Thank you Rachelle!!! of VintageStarr who wrote me:

This candle holder was actually made in Indonesia in the 1980s 1990s. As far as the influence, many Chinese were living in the Indonesian islands for hundreds of years, so It probably was a Chinese influence but dragons and Garudas are BIG symbols there too. A big thanks to Rachelle of VintageStarr and Starrbeads for answering the question I put out there!

When it rains it pours all at the same time!

Long story shorter, Lisa wanted a discount, for the dragon, but didn't say how much, when that happens I just let people know that if they buy two or more items, depending on which items, most usually at least a  10% discount would be offered.

When the dragon fell out of reserve, Lisa wanted the cherry blossom tray and stuff for her vanity, like a celluloid brush.  I didn't have a celluloid brush, but I knew "somewhere" in my hoard I had a celluloid box and maybe the matching hair collector box.  Sometimes, my memory kicks in "out of nowhere".  I did remember that I had a celluloid box, but didn't know where it was.

I love it when people request items because it's very motivating for me!  I spent a lot of time looking for that box (a couple of days) and found my box collection, which included round boxes!


So off it went with the cherry blossom tray:

Saying Good-bye:  I'm happy these went to a new home of a redo bedroom!  And Lisa is happy with them!  The cherry blossom tray I used a lot for serving tea for one.  I had/have an extensive tray collection ranging from lucite to Japanese plastic and lacquerware.

As for the celluloid, I used to collect that too in high school, but had only kept the round box.  However, it was the cast iron dragon candle holder that surprised me!  I was more attached to it than I thought!

And even more weird, it's because it held a dream in it!  That candle holder made the most amazing shadows when lit and if the candle flickered the shadows danced.  I found it most beautiful and eye catching and peaceful.

Side note:  Did you ever watch "The Pillow Book"?  with Ewan McGregor and Vivian Wu?  That movie got me very interested in shadows and of course, as a kid I loved hand shadow stories and taught them to my students!  Anyways, the home decor in that movie has a lot of shadow play and there is one shadow of large vases of water and objects and the shadows get magnified on the wall.  I kinda understand the magnifying part, but I've tried to duplicate the vase shadow and couldn't do it.  If anyone knows how to do that, please clue me in!

Over the years, I've collected objects that make amazing, moving, peaceful shadows and in my last move let most of them go to donation, mostly due to being allergic to candle smoke, except for this candle holder.

What I learned:

1.  Again, I never know which item I'm attached to and/or what is "in" the object until I have to let it go consciously.  For some reason selling the item is a lot different than donating it or even giving it to a friend.  Haven't figured that out yet.  Anyone out there know?

2.  Some of my items hold my dreams in them!  Not just memories, but "full on" dreams!  I guess my shadow artist dream burnt up with my allergies to candle smoke.  Light bulbs just don't seem to be the same, but I have noticed that I can burn the Japanese white candles without problems.  The little white ones from Japan for Butsudans seem to burn clean.

Side Note:  I'm not religious, but there are many different religions in my family.  I can think of at least six.  I have the butsudan that my Grandfather made for my Grandmother during internment from scrap wood and sardine can hinges and a Tenrikyo stand from my other Grandmother.  I use them in their honor and to honor my ancestors, however I have no idea if I'm doing it correctly... just what I remember from my childhood and later funerals.

3.  Lastly, I never know when it's going to drizzle or rain cats and dogs!  I'm learning a lot from being a seller on etsy and it's much more complicated than being a buyer, but just as much fun!  Those posts are in backdraft too!

Thank you Rachelle of VintageStarr and Starrbeads for taking the time out of your busy day to email the info. I had asked for about the dragon.  Thank you Red of La Fleur de Lis Dragon and GoodSell Hall for buying my/your/our cast iron dragon and for helping me to release it's dreams.  Thank you Lisa for changing your mind about the dragon candle holder and ordering two other pieces of Hoarder History and giving it a new home with your new decor!  and thank you for making a request for the celluloid items to get me started on more HoarderRehab organization!  Thank you both for the lesson on finalizing my "reserve" policies!

Thank you for joining me today as a "techless hoarder Etsy newbie" navigating through my HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment