Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Harley-Davidson 95th Anniversary Leather Backpack: The Destiny of Things Story LXII

Harley-Davidson 95th Anniversary Leather Backpack: The Destiny of Things Story LXII

Over 225 items of my Hoarder History have gone to new lives and new homes, so my goal of a Minimalist Organic home with a music art room can become a reality!  Here is a story from item #223:


Hoarder History:  Like the Baton Twirling Book this sold in less than one day, but on ebay because it's from 1998, not quite 20 years to be considered vintage for etsy.

This was another gift that I rarely used.  I used it a couple of times as a weekend travel bag for trips to the Wynn and Bellagio in Las Vegas.

It's the best weekend travel bag with everything I like:  padded shoulder straps, top hand carry strap, double zippers, large zippered inside pocket in the main compartment, large front storage pocket with lots of extra pockets inside, supple leather that stays clean.  When it was fully packed, it was a good workout for me too!



Here's the story I received:

I love the Harley bag and your note. You sound like my 20 year old free spirited, artistic son in Savannah that says he has "too many possessions." You can have nice things as long as they don't make up who you are on the inside. And that you don't look down upon anyone. "God doesn't make junk" and we all have value. You are a diamond in the rough indeed. I think I will give the bag to my 17 year old son as a carry on to travel and see his brother. I like your Karma, perspective and spirit. Enjoy the journey.....

How sweet and encouraging it was to get that email!  Thank you!


Saying Good-bye:   I didn't bat an eye, easy as pie, piece of cake, no water under the bridge!

I can say that now, but at one time I let these things cling to me like extra appendages that I loved to love but just got in the way and cutting them loose was almost impossible!  I am so grateful I'm over that!

What I Learned:

1. Practice makes all the difference in the world!  Letting go of over 200+ hoarded history must have been just what I needed to do until it got easier!  Thanks to Etsy, VintageToGoetsy, Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things for all the practice!

2.  I wonder if it will continue to be this easy under a lot of stress and insomnia.....only time will tell.  I am so thankful right now, it seems natural to let go of things I don't need rather than clinging on to them for dear life for some unknown reasons, forgotten memories, worries and/or dreams.

Thank you little colorado for sharing your story with me and sending me encouragement!  I'm so happy to know the Harley backpack has a new life and home with your son and he will use the backpack on his way to visit his brother!

Thank you ebay for a short and sweet sale that came from someone kind enough to help me as a recovering hoarder!

Thank you Germany, US, Russia, Australia, China, France, Italy, Malaysia and Mexico for your company today as adventure on with Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

How Far I Have Come:

1.  Freddie the Frog:  Back in early Dec. 2012, I had to do some retail shopping to get over this one!

2.  Paying Attention to Falling Stars:  Around the same time as Freddie the Frog, I was really messed up with letting go of my hoard and had insomnia.  Karen Ann Glick's banner helped me through it!

3.  Vernonware to Museum:  This "wow"story inspired me around the same time I was falling apart, it's from Bill Stern, a collector who turned his love into the Museum of California Design.

4.  Autry Museum:  Then I went to see an exhibit curated by Bill Stern and kind of lost it again thinking of all the past hoard I got rid off!  But became grateful that I actually didn't have it anymore, otherwise I'd be dehoarding on etsy forever!

I am so thankful I am more balanced with less hoard and it's not such a jolting up and down drama attack filled roller coaster adventure!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment