Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Five Cross Bracelet's New Life in Australia, The Destiny of Things, Story LVIII

Five Cross Bracelet's New Life in Australia, The Destiny of Things, Story LVIII

Someone fell in love with this and now it's on it's way to Australia!


And it came with a story!

fifithundercat
6 days ago 

What a great idea! Feel free to add my details to your blog.

I used to wear a very small (child sized) silver bracelet that my mother bought me from Bali. I never took it off. Unfortunately it was also made of very thin silver and one day I caught it on something and it broke and got lost. I've been looking for something to replace it and I think your bracelet fits the bill. I've been looking for something special for a while now as I don't plan on taking it off - like you I will probably need oil or soap to get it on in the first place!

I'm an aspiring writer with a passionate love for jewellery, fashion and antiquities and I love interesting people and stories... I think your idea of collecting tales of where your items go is a brilliant way of 'releasing' them rather than 'discarding' them!

The $0 shipping should be fine - I'm a bit of a collector and order things off the internet fairly regularly and - fingers crossed - nothing has gone astray yet.

Best of luck with the recovery!
Kat

5 days ago
Hi Kat!

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your story! I love it! It makes it so much easier to let go knowing it's new life as a childhood bracelet replacement and to another person with a little hand and wrist is out there! Plus it's new home is in Australia!

My beloved Sanrio type college mugs went to Australia and came with a story too! I am so lucky to have two now!

It's interesting how your memories of your bracelet jogs mine. I have many souvenir bracelets from my Grandmother that I wore so much they are broken also. I will share them with yours on my blog. I can not thank you enough for the memories that came back!


Most likely I'll just use your entire last email on my blog. I don't know how or why but the story always seems better when it's in their exact words, instead of me trying to rewrite them.

I wish you the best of luck with your writing career and if you have a blog or anything you'd like me to link to your story, I'd be happy to do so.

Many thanks for joining me in my Hoarder Rehab!
~Kennedy

PS. For a couple summers, I used to get two henna tattoos and one of them was inspired by the design on the bracelet right below my tee shirt sleeve line. I used to wear the bracelet on my right wrist and the henna on my left upper arm.

--INSERT henna tattoo pattern here another time--

Oh and I wore it with this other small bracelet for a time during the summer, I'd have to take it off when I taught because the bells were too distracting to students.


The bell bracelet is available here, my sterling Taxco ones from childhood are here and I have three other Native American children sized bracelets here.  These are only the tip of the iceberg of some of my childhood jewelry, mostly souvenirs and gifts from family.

I supposed that is another category of my collection I need to start counting to be more conscious of it and also to decide what to do with them, since I can't wear them anymore due to allergies.



Saying Good-bye:  This was one of my favorite bracelets that I rarely took off  because it's got five crosses, which I bought during my religious folk art days and besides it's so small- it's difficult to get off.  When I was on vacation I wore it often with this bracelet with bells, both are children's bracelets, but I loved them and wore them often together.

For some reason, although there were a lot of pleasant memories in this bracelet, it was easy to let go to it's new life and home!  Maybe it's because I'm getting more sleep?  practice makes perfect? (as of today, #227 things are sold) or enough hoard have found new homes and my mind is less cluttered to see my goals and focus on them more clearly?

Oh my, now that I started tallying my childhood bracelets, there's more than I thought...AGAIN!  Here's one that sold just before the Five Cross bracelet.  Yikes!  That does not include my childhood jewelry as in rings, pendants, necklaces, and charms.  My earring collection isn't as big, since I didn't get them pierced til I was 17 or 18 years old.


What I Learned:

1.  Another story brought with it a snow ball effect into another hoarded area and soon I'll need to deal with all my childhood jewelry after I release my jewelry from 18 years old  to hmm... can't remember the last time I bought jewelry.

2.  I am thankful for Kat's story and happy she found her childhood replacement bracelet at my shop, as I continue to collect many replacement stories with happy endings!

Note to self:  Add tallying childhood bracelets and other childhood jewelry on to my "to-do" list, so that I can become more conscious of how much I've really saved all these years

Thank you fifithunderkat for finding your way to my etsy shop, Hoarder Rehab and finding your long lost childhood bracelet replacement and for bringing me close to my goal of less hoard and a minimalist organic home with a music art room! 

Thank you for your encouraging words that keep me moving forwards and for the reminder that's it's better for me to "release" my things, rather than "discard" them, as I have done many times in the past, but that's another story!

Note to self: ...as I've done many times in the past....write about that, especially the time I think I moved 9 times in one year and every time I just sold what I could at yard sales and then bought what I needed at the next house thrifting.

Thank you etsy for another connection with a story that is making my Hoarder Rehab more than bearably easy joyful as each day passes and giving everyone involved a story!

Thank you US, Russia, Australia, UK, Germany, Bulgaria, China and South Korea for joining me in another day in the life of a recovering hoarder via Hoarder Rehab:  The Destiny of Things!

Related Story:

1.  Not My College Mugs: They went to Australia to a collector of all things 80s and held my worries in them.

Other Replacement Stories:

1.  Twin of "Something Blue" for You:  bracelet from a childhood trip

2.  Continuous Miraculous Mary Ring:   a  lost ring I've never seen before or later - replaced!

3.  Waechtersbach Red "You Are Special" Plate: heart felt replacement for an 8 year old and my first story

4. "Happy Birthday" Hostess Hellerware Pastry Stand:  for a Godmother and my second story

5.  Pig "Oink" Glass:  surprise replacement gift from Santa

6.  US Puzzle Maps:  old school puzzles for granchildren, just like grandma had!

7.  Freddie the Frog Puppet:  heartfelt childhood replacement many times over

8.  Must de Cartier Perfume:  Discontinued scent and formula replacement for a traveling couple

9.  Large Refrigerator Dish:  2nd generation holiday dish replaced by third generation daughter

10.  Graduation Watch Replacement:  a replacement story within a replacement story!



No comments:

Post a Comment