Thursday, February 14, 2013

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Sibling Valentine: The Destiny of Things, Story XLVIII

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Sibling Valentine:  The Destiny of Things, Story XLVIII

I've got some nostalgic valentine stories to tell!


I don't know how or why I saved this for so long, but this was a "special" reward for one of my most troubled students from back in the day!  I was in Target walking down a main aisle and on a whim bought this for a student who was crazed about TMNT or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but not crazed about following any classroom or school rules.  It came in a vinyl bag with other Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle-TMNT items that I no longer remember.

I think I have the bag saved in the hoard too, which I have no idea why they would be separated, but anyways....  I got this VintageToGoetsy email!

February 7 2013 9:33pm EDT
Listing: www.etsy.com/listing/109046049/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-leonardo

can you get this to me by vday? i live in tx
ls

7 days ago 

Hi LS,

If you pay for it today, so I can package it and ship it out tomorrow, it will reach you by vday!

Thank you,
~Kennedy

LS
7 days ago
just bought it!


7 days ago 

Thank you! Is this for a special Valentine?

I am a recovering hoarder and am collecting the stories of the new life of my things, instead of more things and documenting it on my blog to see if it helps end my hoarding ways.

Care to share?

Thanks, your tmnt will be shipped tomorrow!
~Kennedy

LS
7 days ago
LOL nope my brother--we are 80's babies!!

7 days ago 

Okay, but that's still a good story and I'll take it! Thanks!

hoarderrehab.blogspot.com/

PS. You're a cool sister. For my brother's birthday last Dec. I gave him a vintage Underdog comic glass and Casper!

And off it went!

LS
3 days ago
I got it today--I love it--my brother is 30 and He loves teenage mutant ninja turtles! We are 80s babies!



February 11 2013 10:23pm EDT 

Good to hear you got it just in time! Thank you for the additional info. I'll surely include it on my blog and your icon pic too!

Thank you for taking part in my HoarderRehab via VintageToGoetsy!

~Kennedy


Saying Good-bye:  

1.   I had no problems with letting this go and it brought back a memory of one of my most troubled students that year, lil j.  For some reason, these TMNT items helped him turn over a new leaf and by the end of the school year became a well liked student.

He became so aware of what was happening in class that he too, wanted to find his gifts to help him point his career in the right direction, which I can remember so clearly, but we were so focused on his behavior for most of the year that we hadn't really got to know the "real" him.  We often talked about how some things choose you or you choose them, as in careers and other things. 

I had my students list 10 careers they'd love to do when they grew up, so they could get beyond, rapper, sports star, movie star, etc and list them in order of priority and then on the other side list their gifts, talents and potential to see which ones coincided.  And also decide which careers and gifts choose them or if they choose it!  It was very interesting.

For the end of the year, the class would plan and prepare their own graduation party.  Usually classes voted for more classic traditional games, like "pin the tail on the donkey" or sit on balloons til they popped, but this class voted for a dance contest!

Everyone was surprised when lil j said he was going to participate and win the dance contest and even more surprised when they all voted that he win!  I can't remember the music, or what the rules where or how it even happened, but when lil j danced--- the world stopped for a minute or two and he was truly himself! 

I can't remember his dance, but I do remember it made us all laugh to tears, yet it was so impressive and astonishing he won hands down!  Everyone instantly loved him and forgot him as someone who used to beat them up, make fun, trick and tease them, extort money, was just plain mean, not follow the class rules or even know them, instead they all commented on how he had found his gift and some patted him on the back and he accepted his new found positiveness with smiles and thanks, instead of his old slugger self.

I've often wondered what many of my students have done with themselves.  It's odd to look back and see which students are memorable and for me, they are usually the ones I invested a lot time and had to find creative ways to help them.

For all the lil j's out there---I'm sure you'll find a way to make it!  To all my students, thank you for all you've taught me!

2.  Her gift to her brother reminded me of my brother!  Which also brings to mind my hoarder enabler buddy!  He was the kind of hoarder you'd see on the television shows and I was right behind him, but his stuff was way better, more cool and many in mint condition because he thrifted daily! 

His collections would "out do" mine in seconds and he often gave me his "seconds" and "thirds", which looked perfect to me, but not to him!

I had at least 24 cartoon drinking glasses from him and we'd buy more when we saw them thrifting!  I'm down to three from my original 24, including two I just gave to my brother for his birthday.  My brother loved cartoons much more than I ever did and still remembers plots and dialogue!

Anyways, I was lucky he wanted them and so two more things left my home!

What I Learned:

1.  Things from our past are more powerful than what I give them credit for and not just to me, but for others too! I wonder what the babies of today will be seeking to give their siblings as gifts in 20 years!

2.  So speaking of things choosing me or I choosing them, I must admit and accept that I choose to hoard as a way to destress!  And now I'm looking for other choices and ways to destress that bring the same calming, instant peace as buying things so my hoard will stop growing and I'll live a different life!

Side Note:  Now that it seems I'm catching up on years of insomniac sleep---the library trip got postponed to this weekend.

3.  I hope I can transfer my memories on to ink and paper,  into google servers or just be able to conjure them up at will.  How does a memory hoarder set these memories free?

Thank you etsy, LS and her and my brother for making my Valentine's day more special with your story and for taking part in my HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things via VintageToGoetsy in such a big way!

Thank you US, UK, Germany, France and Netherlands by supporting my adventure with your visits!

Happy Valentine's Day!  May Saint Valentinus visit you everyday of the year and intervene in your favor in all matters concerning love!

May destiny as infinity be yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment