Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Rewards as Motivation:  Hoarder Inspiration or Desperation #9

What Motivates You?

 This is my $25 reward, including shipping that didn't work, so I added the angels below to include with it.

As a teacher, one of my goals was to help my students find their hidden talents, potential and gifts in the time I had with them.  Each year they all knew this was one of my goals for each and every one of them.  And as each one was found we'd have a silent celebration of acknowledgement and at the end of the year we'd all celebrate for ourselves and individuals and as a classroom.

No matter how silly, destructive, angry, shy, fearful or behind they were, they knew it didn't matter because no one's hidden talents and gifts relied on anything but who they were deep down inside their hearts!  And by mid year most of us could openly talk about these talents, differences and gifts each one of us had and for those that were still looking seek out possibilities and help guide them towards finding them from each other.

We all knew that providing a safe haven was one of the keys to help explore areas of potential, which wasn't as easy as it sounds for an inner city teacher.  I found that it was just important to provide for their basic needs:  like breakfast snacks for those who didn't have any, naps for those who couldn't sleep because it was too cold or loud, someone to watch over them just when they are playing, doing something new or practicing, someone to look them over and notice and tend to health issues, someone to talk to freely for just five minutes, and even just some simple human contact, etc.

Every morning we'd start the day with four corners!  One corner was for a business hand shake, another for a high five, a third one for a papa, mama or baby bear hug and the last one was for our secret class hand shake that was about ten moves!  I would move from one corner to the next until everyone that wanted one had their time of day!  One could participate in as many of the corners one felt like that day or none at all.  If I tried to skip our ritual of four corners there were plenty of complaints! Moans and groans.

Those days are long gone!

I realize I'm on my own to follow my dreams, stay on this adventure and change my ways.  It's not like being in an ever evolving classroom, going to work or paying a mortgage.  I'm not always in an environment were I feel safe and even though I am an adult and can take care of my own basic needs, I don't often get sleep!

So what am I trying to say?  My main motivating factors would be other people!  I like working in teams, support groups or at least with a partner, but I don't have that, at least not to the extent I need.  I do have mr. oz, but he has a full time job and I have mine!

I used to ask my class what motivates them and we'd make a list:
  1. competition 
  2. dare
  3. fear 
  4. positive thinking
  5. lots of praise
  6. lots of practice
  7. theme quotes
  8. them songs
  9. help from friends
  10. starting small
  11. deadlines
  12. team work, at least in the beginning
  13. affirmations
  14. goals of the day or to do lists
  15. promising yourself a reward
  16. creating your own world
  17. pain driven
  18. scolding, nagging
  19. spirituality
  20. guilt, shaming
  21. lecturing
  22. yelling
  23. revenge
Then we'd put the list in order from most helpful to least helpful.  Whenever we needed some motivation we'd check our lists and do something about it!

High on my list is REWARDS!  and it used to be foods and things to buy and it still is, no matter how many times I've tried to change it.  Although my main motivator factor is me is going about my work with someone around, like mr. oz, unfortunately I don't always have that luxury.  As a matter of fact, I haven't had it most of my life so I've always turned to rewards!

And I know when a reward will work or not work very quickly because what ever behavior I'm trying to change will stop or continue!  It's that simple!  Sometimes the hard part is finding thee appropriate reward!

This is the added $20 reward I added to the flower die cuts at the top, but it didn't work either.  The third reward I added I can't right now!  It's buried in one of my three shops fav's!  Also, sorry I ran out of time to add links today- will do another time.

Like right now, I'm having a terrible time trying to find a reward to stop picking at the peeling skin on my thumbs from the gluten I ate from the Pizza Hut Pizza!  Yes, gluten makes my skin peel on my fingers and my heels (plus other allergic reactions quite common with gluten allergies and celiacs) and then I peel or pick at it!  I know gross!  It's like the bad habit of biting nails, ewww.  Okay, back to my non judgmental aura.

I've tried for about a week to find something.  Usually I choose a reward and give myself a day and at the end of the day buy whatever reward I've planned, but this time the reward is just getting bigger and bigger, which means, "more$" and "more$"!

Before it was like $10-20 reward for day 1 and then $20 for the next three days and $40 for the next week and $100 for a month.  I can't get past one day of $40-$50 worth of reward for one day!  So now I'm trying a half a day.

I think part of my will power is diminished due to lack of sleep for a week now.  I haven't even had any "crash" sleep.  ("Crash" sleep is sleep I usually get from staying up for about three days straight with about three hours of sleep a night)

Also, we went out last weekend and even though we took organic snacks with us it wasn't enough and we had conventional foods and I got so sick!  Like food poisoning violent sick, like keep my head near the toilet sick and I think all the antihistamines from the allergic reactions in my body have been working in overdrive and I am what I call "hyper tired", which is immense lethargy mixed with an endless supply of nervous energy!  Now that's got to be a combination for a lethal disaster!  Do not operate heavy machinery or moving vehicles!

Hoarder Inspiration:  I'll keep trying with the rewards til something works, but this might be an expensive doozey one!  The good news is I get a whole lot done because I'm not spending it sleeping.

I'm thankful that I have some outlined motivating factors that I can rely on when I need it!  And even though, as a hoarder, it may not always work constructively towards my goals, at least they work most of the time, if not to improve myself at least to improve my life and health!

Hoarder Desperation:  Although I spend a lot time awake, it's not always productive since I second guess myself due to lack of sleep, which kicks in my impulsiveness, hence the buying without thinking and hoarding without dealing with it!

Thank you US, Germany, UK, United Arab Emirates, Canada, China, France, Romania, Japan, Trinidad and Tobago

I ran out of time again and will put my motivating factors in order,  add links, more pics and revise more another time. Again, please overlook the off topic messiness, spelling, bad grammar, etc!  Thank you.

Until then, what is on your list of motivating factors and how many could you add to the above list and which ones do you rely on most?

No comments:

Post a Comment