Friday, January 4, 2013

As a Techless Hoarder Newbie on etsy: How I List an Item on Etsy, Post #2

As a Techless Hoarder Newbie on etsy:  How I List and Item on Etsy, Post #2

When I first started etsy there were so many things to remember when I listed an item, I sometimes would forgot to add the dimension or condition or look at it thoroughly!  (Sometimes the less I look at it, the less I consider keeping it)  I learned from the "Red Plate Special" to be more careful of my inspections, but luckily in some cases it wasn't necessary.

Most of the time, I didn't look at them just to get them listed before I changed my mind.  In the very beginning mr. oz so kindly did everything for me and just asked me to price them.  Sometimes I couldn't even do that because I was miserable, confused and fearful about "the real possibility" of letting go of my hoard and putting my stuff out in public!!!

However since they were in the donation pile or by the fireplace as kindle I priced many at $5.  Even with these blind listings, it was a challenge for me to sell them and get used to the idea that someone might buy them and I'd have to ship them off somewhere.  Then once they were published I had to deal with it.  And when the first item sold..... that's another story.

I've read articles on etsy that basically say price high, especially when pricing your craft.  It said it's better to sell less at a higher price than many at a low price, but I suppose I should save it for another time.

I've never taken a business class or at least one I can remember.  I have tried reading "The Art of War" several times and can't get passed any page every time!  I have picked up from movies that one should know "your" customers.  I do this by studying their profiles and looking at their favorites.  I try to put myself in "their" shoes and try to find some common grounds.

Over the months my listings have evolved into something discernible and pattern like and I thought I'd list it here to see if it helps another bewildered, yet excited newbie as I am and also to document my progress.  I have met many other techless etsy newbies and even techful ones, but the newbies who do share with me seem to have the same concerns and questions as I do.


This is my check list for listing an item on etsy:

1)  Two way titles:  I use two way titles because most of my buyers appear to be from google.  I seem to get many buyers who are replacing something or appear to have joined etsy that day just to buy from one of my shops. I have kept informal stats, but they are lost somewhere in my written journals.

I've tried short titles, enticing titles(heart and soul titles, funny titles) and titles with words that might be used as key words.  I like watching keywords in stats because there's always "some" word(s) that someone typed into google or etsy that surprises and delights me to no end!  I'll start collecting these words to share with you!

2)  Have you ever wondered why on ebay some sellers repeat the title in the description many times?   I'm not sure, but I think it's because they are trying to get google buyers too.

I read an etsy article about tagging when I first began in June 2012.  It was one of their older blog articles and have looked for it several times since, but haven't been able to find it again( The newbie blog articles seem to be way in the back of the Seller's Handbook, so it's best to go to the seller's handbook, go to the last page and work from there.  I also read the long comments, they seem to be the most helpful to me)  Someone in the comment wrote something like this and it's stuck in my mind:

The google bot can take up to two weeks to scan a listing and mainly the first, I think it was 160 words.  Etsy gives 140 words per title, so maybe that's the "key" amount.  I don't really know, but I do know that some people have found my listings through "key" words I've used towards the bottom of a listing that were not in tags or title.

I repeat my title in my description as an experiment to see if it strengthens any google searches until I can refind that etsy article!  Now I save or bookmark any etsy articles that help, inspire or motivate me because techless me has a hard time navigating on their blog site.

Here's a neat trick my brother taught me years ago to help repeat the title in description area more quickly.  In the title box make sure the bar is flashing.  Use ctrl a  (I call it "Control All", it should highlight the entire area), ctrl c, (should copy the highlighted area) Next place the blinking bar in the description area and  use ctrl v, (it should paste the title there for you)  I think it's faster than using the edit menu, but if you need a reminder the symbols are also in the edit menu for you.

3.  describe the items with ideas on how to use the item daily, special occasions, as a gift.  Add a slogan.

This part can kill me to no end!  I have items sit in draft for long periods of time because after I describe it and all it's varied handy dandy uses, etc. I want to keep it!

4.  condition and dimensions, h x l x w, just like the post office box and sometimes add how deep it is, include with condition, see pic on zoom for your own satisfaction and comfort level

5.  Discount for items bought in multiples.

6.  other links to similar specific item(s) in either shops.

This part is sometimes difficult to decide, like is the buyer looking at vintage jewelry or jewelry from India.  I hope etsy adds a new feature that lets me add an item in more than one section, so I don't have make that decision!  Oh and talking about an etsy dream list, I'd also like more than 10 sections!

7.  one link to a section and/or another shop

I do this because it seems many new shoppers and I included (as a buyer and then seller) didn't even notice the "section" area for years!  And it seems shoppers are looking for one specific thing and it seems more serious buyers actually click on the listing to read beyond the title and price.  So I add the links because as a newbie I'd be more inclined to use them.

8.   Add Side Kick Story, Hoarder History or Untold Destiny

This part can derail me, but I think it's important for my therapy and some people seem to like the stories!

9.  small print of things to know:  US and international shipping info, insurance, read policies, thank you 

10.  I've learned that tagging is as important as the title.

Etsy gives 20 letters per tag and 13 tags total.  I used to cram as many words as the 20 letters allowed.  Then I went down to 2-3 words per tag and now one word per tag.  I've even gotten views with commonly miss spelled words, slang and acronyms, like Bollywood, DOD, swag, chanclas, mcm or words with multiple ways of spelling, like collectible and collectable, handmade and hand made, etc.

ONE WORD tags have worked best for me for several reasons.  Once I got down to using one word tags, I got a lot more views.  (except for mid century modern and sometimes, home decor) I was surprised to find how many shoppers search on etsy using only "one" keyword.  I study my "key words" in stats religiously to see how people are finding my stuff and sometimes change titles and tags accordingly.  Also look at the trending words sometimes to see what colors are being used.  Robin egg blue was a long tag for turquoise, but it was popular.  I find it quite interesting and amazing, sometimes miraculous how people "end up" at any of my shops!

For example, someone visited one shop using the keywords, anti wedding.  I thought that was very interesting and am tagging some of my listings as "anti, Valentine" to see if what happens.

Here's a little story:  I bought a roundish lidded basket with a long strap.  I had intended to use it as a summer purse or a portable sewing basket, but when I went to pay for it, the guy at the register said, "I was wondering who was going to buy that!" and continued with, "my teacher used to bring his tarantula to class in one just like that. Do you have a tarantula?" After that the basket just held keys and what not at the entry way and I never felt comfortable reaching in it again. I know silly.


When I listed the basket, I used "tarantula basket" in the title and got many hits off google and some from etsy, I'm not sure how etsy titles coincide with tags.  Surprisingly key words, like tarantula basket, tarantula home showed up, even venus fly trap.  I like checking my key words because I am so in awe as to how people find my shops!  Sometimes I wish I knew who they were just so I could thank them!

***I find it best to remember that it only takes one buyer with one view to order one listing.  

On some slow days with only 25 or less views, I've still make a sale.  Most of my buyers don't even favorite the item or any items nor are they in any circles.  I think I average one sale a day and that's about all my hoarding little heart can take at this time!  If something "heavy duty" gets ordered, I sometimes take 10% of it and buy something, but I'm thinking now I'll donate it and see how that helps me!

I have also found that views seem to correspond with items listed, so if I have 50 items listed I can expect approx. 50 views.  Once I hit 100+ listing, I get at least 100 views a day.  Adding one new listing a day seems to be enough to bring in new views.  I thought it might just be a random happening, but the pattern seems to hold true.  I've kept better track of views with the newer shop, The Destiny of Things, and even when I started with four items I got four views and so on.  I just added nine new items to Destiny, so I should get around 60 hits a day now.

I hope this post makes sense in my new allotted time schedule because as a techless hoarder newbie on etsy getting this far was not a piece of cake for me and I'm still wandering around and experimenting through trial and error!  So if anyone wants to join me in any type techless hoarder newbie convo on etsy, please do!

I have more to say about tagging, googling, circling, following and feedback or anything on or off topic, so let me know if you are interested!  I'll write it up pronto!

I have found experimenting is slow, but works well.  The Treasury page is very inspirational and informative for titles and tags to try and experiment.  Discovering alternatives that work for me is exciting and keeps me going!  What about you?

Thank you US, UK, Canada, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Trinidad and Tobago for meeting here with me today for another round of HoarderRehab!

No comments:

Post a Comment