Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Amethyst Cake Stand: The Destiny of Things, Story XXXV

Amethyst Cake Stand:  The Destiny of Things, Story XXXV

Remember the good old days of Martha By Mail?  I loved all the stuff!  I eventually found this thrifting!  I loved the subtle lilac tint and it's simple design.
Years ago, I was so happy to find this thrifting that I didn't think about where I'd put it or use it.  I just grabbed it and bought it! (and with who knows what else with it!)  I don't know, if it's a Martha by Mail and I don't mind, as long as it's close enough.  I don't mind replicas.  Weren't hers replicas too?

I rarely used this as a cake stand, a few times a year for friends, as I wrote about it in the mechanical musical cake stand that played "Happy Birthday" while rotating!  I used to balance the amethyst cake stand on top of the mechanical cake stand with a chocolate cake on top using the Red Plate Special with sparkler candles!  It was my daring birthday trio!

Alas, all three are gone now...

Saying Good-bye:  This went to someone for their birthday.  It got shipped off today with four other packages.  There's a little sadness about all three being gone now, but it's okay because when the larger things go, it really seems to make a noticeable difference and I remind myself how much closer I am to my HoarderRehab etsy goals.

Although I didn't use it often for cake.  I did use it as a pedestal platform for my vignettes. Here it is with my Aunt's white Buddha.  I also was given her furs, a silver fox shawl and a mink sweater, which I love and was going to make pillows for the couch shown, but alas, I'm allergic to them too!  I'm tempted to include stories about her here, but won't since I'm already off topic.  Some of her story is at the mink sweater, under Hoarder History.

The amethyst stand also would end up being my plant stand and often the plants on the black side table switched places with the white Buddha or kokeshi box.


What I Learned:

1.  When my hoard is more manageable and my ban on thrifting gets lifted, I'll be more mindful of what I purchase, grab it and carry it around with me until I know where and how I'll use it and if not, put it back down for the next person.  It will be a huge challenge for me because I have a terrible time resisting a bargain, but I do know---I don't want to sell or resell stuff I find or buy just because they are the deal of the day and get used or displayed for awhile and then end up boxed in storage.

Reminder to self:  How much of my hoard is from stuff I love that's been a "too hard to pass up" bargain?

I've tried going thrifting with a list, which is helpful, but it's a "bargain" that kills me and turns my shopping dream into a hoarding nightmare!

I know I can do it because the last time I remember going thrifting I did find an Eames lazy boy with foot stool and passed it up for $59 because it wasn't on my list! I can laugh about it now, but I wasn't to pleased with myself at the time.  Although, 70s flower print fabric was on the list and I passed that up too thinking no one was going to buy a girl's shirt for $7 bucks.  I came home and priced similar fabric and went back to the store a week later and both were gone!  It's been about a year and I lived through it!

My ultimate goal is to not "have" to go thrifting or go seasonally, instead of weekly with my list that frees up a whole lot of time for different types fun and more practical endeavors for myself.

2.  Speaking of Martha by Mail, I can only remember buying two things from her because I thought they were so expensive.  I splurged on her soap kit and bead snowflake kit.  I've enjoyed both and hope to make more soaps with organic dyes as one of my projects when the storage room has transformed into art/music room!

My "stress" shopping has taken me on the hunt for one last kit of hers that I've been looking for and can't find.  I used to see them and passed them up!  I have the name of it written down in one of my many journals or calendars, if anyone "out there" has, knows or happens to stumble on the ruby red and silver seed bead kit on wire ornaments that look like leaves, please let me know!  oh-ho-hum...

3. Remind myself of my goals and incorporate them into my 2013 New Year's Resolutions.

***Next post, the quote I've decided to use for my blog theme for now.  Update on my "stress" shopping spree and new questions I've relearned to ask myself to help me from accumulating more stuff!

What is one of your favorite birthday traditions?

Thank you V for ordering the amethyst cake stand for M's birthday.  I hope she loves it as much as I do!  Thank you USA, Finland, Canada, Croatia, Israel, Serbia, Saudi Arabia, China, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Spain for the stop by!

2 comments:

  1. YEs, yes, yes - feeling your hoarder thoughts and hear them echoing here too. I had a hard clamp down on buying recently, too many enjoyable nostalgic finds for pennies that were cluttering up my shelves. And to what purpose? Many not saleable for enough profit to warrant the effort. And most just a passing amusement!

    thanks for stopping by the blog today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit and especially for your comment and supporting words! It's nice to know there are others out there being more mindful. How does one know the difference between a passing amusement and a true meaningful treasure?

    ReplyDelete