Friday, January 11, 2013

From Worry Dolls to LV Hair Cubes?!? Today's Hoarder Ephiphany #7

From Worry Dolls to LV Hair Cubes!?!  Today's Hoarder Ephiphany #7
started 7jan2013, added more on 11Jan2013

When circumstances meet opportunity and mix into a lucky break!  or has my decluttered surroundings of 169+ less items made it is it easier for me to pay attention, stay more grounded and more consciously conscious with a clearer mind?

 Note to self:  Put pic of worry dolls here after pics are taken this weekend

Circumstance 1:  This morning I found a mysterious box in my hoard.  A Joan Walsh Anguld box and in it were the worry dolls my Grandmother had given me when I was five? or seven? or somewhere in between that time.  It held the first set she gave me and the second set she gave me later.  Both were souvenirs from her trips to Central America.

As I poked at them and looked at them, I could remember her giving them to me and showing me how to use them.  It was bedtime and she turned the box over and opened it.  Each doll was in the lid and we took turns picking up a doll and telling it one of our worries and carefully placed it back into the box.

She told me they were special dolls and were trained to sleep through anything, even the worst of the worst worries!  And while I slept all my worries would go out in my dreams and I'd wake up worry free!  I still have the baskets somewhere!  The old worry dolls used to be linked together with a male and female, but I cut them apart back then. (I googled searched them, but can not find ones like the first set my Grandmother gave me, mr. oz will take pics of them over the weekend for me)  Do you remember when worry dolls were a sensation? the "in" thing? latest rage?  fad?  Times up, can't think of the word and must hit "publish" button now!

My Grandmother had a set too.  I remember at her house one set draped over little door knobs on a cabinet.

Circumstance 2:  I was updating the LV posting because of all things, I forgot the whole point to the story of Ms. K starting her LV collection in all my mish mash of writing to get there and/or "let out who know what else other demons and plain ol' blagh!"

Anyways, between rereading, updating and finding the worry dolls I got another epiphany!!!

I was reading about my LV hair cubes and remembered how annoyed, scared and worried I was that my hair was falling out in droves, but once I bought the LV hair baubles I mysteriously stopped worrying over my hair!  Was it because it was just like a worry doll? or did it give me a goal to work towards? or both?

At the time, I knew it was ridiculous to be more worried about my hair falling out than my detrimental declining bedridden health, but what can I say?  I'm not rational or logical and buying the LV baubles took my mind off my hair and after that I focused and took action on my bedridden health, instead of sitting around in misery and self pity about my hair!

I've transferred my worry dolls for some LV!  How funny and odd is that? more like how expensive is that?  What a transference doozey!  What do you call that?  When one upcycles to a better prodct but in this case a designer luxury item?  An upgrade?

Maybe I'll make my own set of worry dolls because the ones I found seem so old that it gave me an allergic reaction.


Saying good bye:  Interestingly enough, the LV hair cubes were easy to let go because I had overcome most of my hair challenges and my health is more functionally pleasant now.  I remember at the time I was auctioning for them, the suspense was excruciating because I had to have them, but I got lucky and got them without spending an arm and a leg!

Although at the time it seemed wasteful and lame to be spending "that kind of money" on something so frivolous when it could have been better spent on my health.  Nor was my hair long enough to use them for years to come, but unconsciously I didn't know they symbolized much more than a hair goal for me!

What I Learned:

1.   Since I was a kid, I've learned to transfer my worries into things, so I don't have to think about them anymore!  It seems I do the same things with other things, like my 80s Frivolous mug or some other items I'm so attached to, but can't figure out.  So maybe it's not just memories or dreams in these items, but worries too?  Hmm.... I wonder what else I put into things?

So maybe the 80s Frivolous mug and Empire State building light weren't really frivolous buys because they took away my worries of moving into my first apartment and going to college?  Note to self:  Read that post again later.

2.  I think I'll start a worry box of rocks! Will that work just as well?  I already have a lot of them and they are less expensive than LV! Well, at least now that I'm conscious of this behavior I can do something healthier and less expensive with it.

Thank you readers from China, US, Germany, UK, Trinidad and Tobago for joining me in my HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things adventures!

How do you free yourself from worries?

No comments:

Post a Comment