Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mosler Toy Bank Vault and Hugo, the Movie: The Destiny of Things, Story XLI

Mosler Toy Bank Vault and Hugo, the Movie:  The Destiny of Things, Story XLI

Another fun mom searching to find the perfect unique item to inspire their child's interest of the moment!  And another teacher prop sold, along with my nostalgic heart it went to a young Hugoesque soul for his birthday!
This is the back story from his mom from an email the day after Christmas:

BACK STORY
This vault will be a birthday gift for my AMAZING son KK, who LOVES LOVES LOVES the world of gadgets, production, construction etc...ANYTHING HUGOesque!  (The movie Hugo).

For Christmas this year Santa brought him a few gold plated coins. (My parents).  He flipped over them and wanted to meticuosly calculate and protect them.  Hence...for his Taurus birthday, I thought a vintage vault with the "HUGOesque" combination lock would be perfect!

I loved hearing YOUR back story as well!  Your approach to "hoading" stories instead of things is FANTASTIC!  I myself am a "hoader" of memories...I am an Event/Party planner and will do anything to capture the moments of our lives through a PHOTO!!!!

You DO know the combination right?!?!?!

M


Date: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 10:55 AM

Hi M!

Yes, it still has it's original sticker on the bottom of the bank with it's secret combination!  You'd be surprised how many students (all 30, year after year) who have tried to crack the code with not one realizing it was on the bottom of it!

Oh wow!  I'll have to watch the movie, Hugo now.  We have it, but haven't watched it yet.  I do know how your son feels about those coins!  I even loved the sound of them and was able to discern the sound between a silver quarter and the newer ones.  As a child, I had/have a great coin collection,  probably why I had a bank collection too!  I don't know how you will save it til his birthday in April!  Kudos to you for that one!
Total gadget fan too, esp. if it's mechanical solar,  but not battery or electrically related!

THANK YOU for the back story, it will certainly help my hoarding ways and go on my blog.  I'm attached to the bank because it was a prop that my students loved to love!  I used it to introduce"money" when themed  teaching was "in" and also later for Open Court Reading with the unit on "money".

It kept all kinds of things,  like money from around the world, money past students had designed, money my brother designed for me when I first started teaching with my third grade picture on it (I taught 3rd grade for 18 years as an inner city teacher ), other small magic banks, even origami made from dollarbills!  Oh what teaching fun and learning revolved around that bank!  Also, it was my transitioning prop from Math to other cultures and social studies with foreign money!

This is the little blurb I'd use:

Also the Mosler bank has a cool story in itself! It's just not "any" bank vault!  That "Mosler" vault was made by the same company that made several vaults that withstood the atomic bombing in Japan!  It's no longer in business, but that little fact of history will remain with me.  Then we'd go on to study Japan through all subject areas and end with  making origami rings and t-shirts with "real" dollar bills! rings for Mother's day and t-shirts for Father's day cards!

Then we'd go on to Social Studies: Mosler  bank vaults are made with strength and precision!  So much so, they  made the vault that once protected our Constitution and the Declaration of Independence! Thank you for bringing back those memories, it's time to let them go and for it to make new memories with your amaZing son K!

Update sun27jan2013:  Last night we watched "Hugo" by Martin Scorsese and it is an inspiring, funny, delightful movie for all ages!  And I can definitely see Mari's son loving the mechanicalness of the combination lock on a large sized toy bank vault for his Christmas coins.

Just think his mom was just as inspired to go looking for a vault bank for him the day after Christmas finding mine!  What fun!


Saying Good-bye: I'm not sure what happened to my bank collection.  I think my mom has some of my Snoopy and other banks.  My Felix the Cat bank sold without a story.  I gave my brother's childhood tin mailbox bank to his son.  His was like the one in the link, but all blue and I had saved it with the key for over 40 years!  

I still have my glow in the dark Halloween skull bank, which can be seen in the background in some of the etsy shop Halloween or Day of the Dead items.  My magic bank is lost in the hoard, along with my childhood coin and stamp collections.

Letting this go would have been a more major ordeal, like my Freddy the Frog, except it went to such an inspiring boy and such an inspiring movie to go along with it!  Some Hugo-esque young soul is going to make such wonderful adventuress memories with this bank, instead of sitting in a room of hoard storage.  

This is a better life than I could imagine for one of my teacher props with my own good memories in it!  See and read more details about the Mosler vault bank here.  

Other information I found interesting:

Read about the Mosler Safe Company here, it's short and quite interesting.

It's one of the 15 Most Impenetrable Bank Vaults, according to CMI Gold and Silver.


Bomb testing of the Mosler Bank Vault in Nevada, 1957
Above photo and two paragraphs below from Almost Diamonds

An enormous Mosler bank vault sits abandoned and forgotten on the dry lake bed of Frenchman Flat, Nev. It is ugly and rusting, a big cookie jar from hell -- yet it now exists as one of America's greatest monuments to clear thinking.

That giant safe is a relic of an Atomic Energy Commission experiment in 1957 ("Response of Protective Vaults to Blast Loading"). Filled with stocks and bonds, cash and insurance policies, it confirmed that our official valuables, contracts and financial instruments could survive nuclear war. The test must have seemed like a good idea at the time, a masterpiece of steel-and- concrete realpolitik.

I'm not sure why they did more testing, since the atomic bombing....maybe someone out there can share why.

Mosler Bank Vault advertised and admired for being stronger than the Atomic bomb. Photo of Teikoku Bank after the bombing, only the Mosler vault and it's contents survived.  The bank was rebuilt around the vaults and since 1967 is now a bakery.
 Photo from Conelrad Adjacent with even more historical info. than wiki and interesting advertisements.

What I Learned:

1.  It's very difficult to write while having an allergic reaction to something I ate today!  Everything is fuzzy minded and I lose my thought easily, even if I manage to have one!  I will need to redraft this, but will keep moving forward!  Especially since I just noticed that the historical info. I added is out of order.

So I suppose it's not always the hoard of clutter that is cluttering my mind, although through this experience I can now make some distinct differences between the two.

2.  Also, it seems Freddy the Frog  paved the way for other teacher items to be on their little merry way, since it was one of the first major teacher props to go, at least now it's initial sting and horror has not stayed and in six months, I think the best parts of Freddy and his new life will foreshadow how it wrenched my heart.  (I'm using my new coping mechanisms from "Destiny as Infinity" and surprisingly helps more than I thought---in two simple easy questions to ask myself:  1.  Does this bring me closer or further away from my dreams?  2.  In six months, will I still feel like ______ when I think about it?

And YES! it's true, new healthier alternatives do become easier and more automatic through conscious practice!

3.  It's taken about a month to get over my Meltdown, however I am still buying some things from the list I made during the worst time of it.  Also, I'm still adding to the Menu of Disaster buying list!  And I am making little progress on picking at my fingers. 

I just keep trying to apply those two questions from #2, think about my heroes and then contradict myself with "but it's healthier to buy stuff than stuff my face!" Although some french fries with guacamole would instantly solve all my inner conflict about now!

4.  However, I am feeling strong enough with much more courage to share pics of my hoarded room or soon to be music art room as part of my recovery.  They were taken today and the most shocking and weirdest part is the pictures look much worse than what I see in real life!

Thank you M for finding my Hugo-esque Mosler Bank to inspire your son for his birthday!  And thank you M's son for inspiring me through your love of the movie Hugo of a lost boy who fixes things and along the way fixes several broken hearts, including his own.  Watch it and see it's multi layered adventures!

Thank you etsy for helping to unburden one more item from my home to a new life through another amazing connection I thought not possible!

Thank you  US, Germany, UK, Sweden, Spain, Ireland, Romania, and Russia for stopping by HoarderRehab: The Destiny of Things!






No comments:

Post a Comment