Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pocket Rosary for Miraculous Medal: The Destiny of Things, Story LI

Pocket Rosary for Miraculous Medal:  The Destiny of Things, Story LI

How coincidental is this?  Two stories in a row from The Destiny of Things, etsy feedback!

cncbotts says:  Thank you! She's going to become a pocket rosary. 
I'm not religious, but as a collector I do love religious artifacts from all over the world!  So today, I'm going to learn about the "rosary."  My first question what does the rosary have to do with roses?
Here's some interesting information I found about rosaries on wiki:
1.  The rosary (from Latin rosarium, meaning "Crown of Roses"[1] or "garland of roses"[2]) is a Roman Catholic sacramental and Marian devotion to prayer and the commemoration of Jesus and events of his life. The term "Rosary" is used to describe both a sequence of prayers and a string of prayer beads used to count the prayers.
2.  The sequence of prayers is the Lord's Prayer, the Hail Mary ten times, and the Glory Be to the Father, sometimes followed by the Fatima Prayer. Each sequence is known as a decade. Five decades are prayed, after beginning with the Apostle's Creed and five initial prayers. The praying of each decade is accompanied by meditation on one of the Mysteries of the Rosary, which recall the life of Jesus
3.  There are differing views on the history of the rosary. According to tradition, the concept[24] of the rosary was given to Saint Dominic in an apparition by the Virgin Mary in the year 1214 in the church of Prouille. This Marian apparition received the title of Our Lady of the Rosary.[25] In the 15th century it was promoted by Alanus de Rupe (aka Alain de la Roche or Saint Alan of the Rock), a learned Dominican priest and theologian, who established the "15 rosary promises" and started many rosary confraternities. However, most scholarly research suggests a more gradual and organic development of the rosary.[26]
4.  And lastly there are four different mysteries depicting Jesus' life:  Joyful Mysteries, Luminous Mysteries, Sorrowful Mysteries, Glorious Mysteries and a praying schedule.  Read more about rosaries at wiki here.
 
Saying Good-bye:  I've had plenty of practice letting go of my religious artifacts and I hope it carries over to many of my other objects!  I have some Russian, Chinese and Japanese religious art that I'm ambivalent about, so they will be the last to go!  Plus I have to find them in my lost hoard.

I collected religious medals of all kinds for my own religious folk art projects:


My garden cross and lover's cross are listed at the etsy shop, The Destiny of Things, along with their stories. As you can see, I didn't use traditional religious medals much in them, but mainly charms and milagros!

and some of my religious folk art used none at all and some are still lost in my hoard!


I love pictures of Saints and lately I've been gravitating towards scapulars!  If anyone knows where to find scapular cloth besides on etsy, please let me know!

I used to have hundreds of prayer cards, but I think I threw them out on one of my purges! This is Saint Cecilia Eusepi, she is available here with more of her story.  She is titled, "The Saintly Clown" because she called herself, "The Little Clown."

What I Learned: 

1.  I have religious folk art pieces from many countries!  It all started when I went to the Mengei Museum and they displayed a  Mexican Folk Art collection.  My favorites were a milagro banner with over 200 milagor figurines and this huge, five feet by 3 feet clay tree of life candelabra.  Most of my Mexican Folk Art collection is at VintageToGoEtsy here.

That snowballed into my love of all types of Religious Folk art!

I'll have to sort through my hoard and find my Russian, Chinese and Japanese religious folk art before I can list them!  I think I can let them go after writing this piece.

2.  There are many religions in my my family:  Mostly Catholics, some Christians, Buddhist, Tenrikyo and Shinto.  I remember asking my mom to take me to church and she put me on a basketball team!  I slowly made my way to the basketball team that was affiliated with a church.

I wonder what all that has to do with my vast religious folk art collection

3Which reminds me, I have my Grandmother's Japanese prayer beads, called juzu or nenju, somwhere in my hoard and a little prayer stand to rest them on. 

4.  My favorite religious medals are the plastic and aluminum ones, so you won't be seeing many of those for sale at the shops, but if you are interested in them I am listing many of them (between my several naps a day) at VintageToGoetsy and The Destiny of Things this week for those who would like them for Easter. 

Thank you etsyian cncbotts for leaving me that tidbit of information in my feedback!  A little goes a long way over here in HoarderRehab world!  I wish I could see your pocket rosary creation, but so thankful that you are giving it a better new life! 

Thank you US, Australia, UK, Moldova, Sweden, Brazil, Germany, Japan, Sri Lanka, Poland and Germany for joining me here for another easy day of adventure for HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things!

Post Notes:  Read yesterday's coincidental two in a row etsy feedback story hereOther related religious medal stories!









 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment