Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Mini Ballerina Replacement for 60s Grand Piano Music Box Restoration: The Destiny of Things, Story 363

Mini Ballerina Replacement for 60s Grand Piano Music Box Restoration:  The Destiny of Things, Story 363

This story just came this morning with an update photo!  Before:

Choose 1-2 for jewelry music box replacement or 6 for cupcake toppers, available here.  Photo via VintageToGoEasy

Here is the story that came with the photo:

Hello Kennedy! 

A little bit of my story and music boxes. I had found an old music box in Antique store and thought I would fix it up. Little did I know what work was involved in restoration. 

At the same time my daughter was 7 1/2 months pregnant. The plans were set that I would fly down a week or so before her due date so I could be there for the birth of my Granddaughter. Unfortunately, just a month before Baby Rae was born I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer. I really needed the distraction of that music box while going through treatment. I missed the birth of Baby Rae and was not able to travel for a couple months after. Since then, I decided I would restore a small collection of Mechanical Music and Automata for Baby Rae to have when she gets older.

I had been looking off and on for replacement Ballerina's for a while- they are hard to come by, when trying to match with older music boxes. Probably buy a few more from you in the future.
 

Attached is the photo of the Grand Piano. 

Cheers,
GK

After:  A beautiful restoration of a grand piano music box with a twirling ballerina!

This looks like it's from the 60s.  I just love the fuchsia velvet lining!
photo via Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy

That is so cool!  I've never seen a Japanese lacquered grand piano music jewelry box before and this one even has a lock and tri mirrors!  I used to love to watch mine twirl around while the music box played.  Where is the jealous button!?!!!

Here is what I wrote back:

Hi!

What a beautiful inspiring story! I am so happy to hear you survived all your treatments and are well enough to visit Baby Rae and restore a collection of vintage music boxes for her. Love the beautiful restoration of the piano! 

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful story! I'll use it today! I'm so excited.... 

With a big happy smile,
Kennedy

 Choose 1-2 for jewelry music box replacement or 6 for cupcake toppers, available here.  Photo via VintageToGoEasy

Saying Goodbye:  These little ballerina beauties are flying off the shelves!  I had to put my stash in a secret place because I keep having to dig into mine to fill orders.  I've done that with several of my favorite items, but not any more because lots of times I can't find them after I let go of my own stash!

What I Learned:

1.  There must be a lot of these ballerinas missing from vintage jewelry music boxes!  Now the person who sent me this story is also restoring a Japanese jewelry music box that needs a little mini doll figurine, like the ballerinas, but a little geisha!

If anyone "out there" sees one, let me know, so I can forward it to this kind Etsy buyer who is restoring several music boxes for her granddaughter.  Thank you in advance.

2.  I vaguely remember the mini geisha.  I remember my parents having one that looked like it was inside a bottle of liqueur and I think the geisha twirled and it was a music box too! 

photo via google

3.  I think the geishas might be made from origami paper because I remember making larger origami ones with my Grandmother as a child.  If I remember correctly, they were very difficult to fold, especially the hair and I spent hours trying to make one and mine never looked liked my Grandmother's or the one in the picture!

4.  It really is astonishing when something from my hoard becomes a popular seller at our shops!  Many of them are from my childhood and I've been collecting them and all kinds of other stuff when I find them here and there for my mixed media art.

5.  I can't believe it!  My hoard is dwindling to a more manageable size!  As a recovering hoarder, I know my decision making isn't very decisive because when I have too many choices I just choose and take them all!  So now that more hoard is gone, it's amazing how less cluttered my mind is too and more creative ideas seem to be floating around from my stuff that I either can't let go or doesn't sell quickly.

 Here is the little origami paper geisha from a jewelry box.
photo via google

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEasy for sharing your story this morning!  I am so happy to hear that restoring vintage music boxes has helped your recovery and your granddaughter is so lucky to be getting such a beautiful collection from you!
 
Thanks for helping me find new insight that links my decision making to my hoard.  As a recovering hoarder, I have difficulties making decisions when there are too many options because I start to over think (hoarding my thoughts!) about which one will be the best option.
 
Lastly, thanks again for your story, which inspired mine and especially for the update photo of your beautiful restoration!  So nice to know I am a part of it in a little tiny way!
 
Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab ever!  And for all the kind people I'm meeting who are helping me indirectly and directly in so many ways with my Hoarder Rehab!

Thank you readers from all over the world who continue to support my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things by taking part with your visits!

 Choose 1-2 for jewelry music box replacement or 6 for cupcake toppers, available here.  Photo via VintageToGoEasy

After I finished my blog post yesterday, I spent the rest of the afternoon mending some linen shorts and I'm wearing them today because the weather has turned to more like hot summer than spring time.  I look forward to seeing how well the mend holds after I wear them for a day and then wash them.  Most of the time my mend doesn't hold to well, but I don't mind because I like watching them disintegrate.
 
I'm still getting used to the new shop format that Etsy rolled out on April 5th.  Today I tried rearranging some of my shop items and it's not as easy to rearrange as it used to be.  I need a manual!  Better yet, lessons!
 
I'm keeping up with new listings daily and weekly, but would much rather mend now!  194 seems to be my magic number today!  I didn't plan that!
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 194 items, The Destiny of Things- 194 items, VintageToGoEasy - 200 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 194 items 
  
Maybe you'll find something to adopt and share your story too!  Thanks for looking!
 
 I so regret not stashing away these mini rifles and machine guns for myself.  I will not be making that same mistake with these mini tutu ballerinas!
The rifles and machine guns are very difficult to find now and we are working on getting more, but it's a very very slow process.
Our new mini gold gun assorted gun mix, available here
 
Related Stories:
 
 

 
4.  My first replacement story from an Etsy buyer:   The Destiny of Things:  Musical "Happy Birthday" Cake Stand, Story II  
 
5.  A heartfelt replacement story:  The Destiny of Things:  Freddie the Frog Puppet, Story XII and letting this go broke my heart too!
 
 
 
 

10.  Green Art Jane Product Glasses from Spain:  The Destiny of Things, Story #146   These are very very difficult to find now!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal:  it is the courage to continue that counts."  -- Winston Churchill  
 
Note to self:  I sure could have used this quote when I fell off the Lent Wagon and went on an unintended shopping spree!  More on that story coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment