Thursday, April 7, 2016

Buying and Hanging Wall Art: Hoarder Inspiration or Desperation, Story 21

Buying and Hanging Wall Art:  Hoarder Rehab Inspiration or Desperation, Story 21

Every year I try and buy one piece of art that I love!

The white maze hanging in the middle is from last year.

Before I was a recovering hoarder, I used to buy art all the time.  Many are boxed away, some are still unframed, some are still in the box that they came shipped in and there are many artists in my family and I have their art also.

I finally hung some art up last month!  And decided before I buy any more art, I need to find all my other art that I bought on a yearly basis.

I love pop art, so the dart board just adds a pop of color to the wall.

 I looked high and low for this dartboard for several months and now can't even remember where I got it.  I'm sure I still have it's packaging some where.

I love how the shadow of King Kong got in the photo!  The Empire State Building lamp is something I bought for my first apartment while I was in college.  I was a starving student, but I just had to have it and also bought this mug at the same time.  So frivolous, so fun!

Luckily I worked my way through college at a Chinese and Japanese restaurant and they served meals at the end of each shift and allowed all workers to have as much miso soup or egg flower soup as they wanted on breaks.  

This went to a 80s - 90s collector in Australia 
Not my "Frivolous" mug, read the story here

The white maze piece below is my splurge on art from last year and I am happy to say, it's hung up now!  It's titled, "Rat Race" and I got it on Etsy, but can't remember the artist name or shop at the moment.

I just love how all the random pieces are arranged and many of them are from childhood, like the jax, clock, leg, pawn, Monopoly house, people, baby, car, boat and astro turf. 

I added the pink car pencil sharpener to look as though it's speeding it's way over the Rat Race cliff!  I also like the look of the cars going in opposite directions.

Hoarder Inspiration:

1.  I love buying art and supporting other artists and I love making art, as an alternative to hoarding, but I guess I'm going to need to choose between the buying art or making art because I have too much now.  Plus I have many pieces of art made by family members too.

2.  Maybe an alternative will be just window shopping or visiting museums.  I just love to see everything in museum shops!

This is a piece of art I made in college.  Our last assignment was to take a poem and integrate it with art.  I typed out one of my favorite Sylvia Plath poems, used construction paper and floral ribbon and tape.

Hoarder Desperation:

1.  Buying one piece of art annually sure does start adding up!  And since I don't throw anything out it starts to pile up, especially since I have a difficult time deciding where to hang it all.  I think the "Rat Race" will be my last for a long time.

2.  I do the same with gifts.  Actually it's even worse, I've kept gifts in their original boxes, since college.  Luckily I have a lot easier time letting those go than the art I've bought.  And my family art, fat chance that will ever be let go!

I lost count on how many frames I bought when I fell off the Lent Wagon, but I wanted to frame all the art I have boxed up.  I've spent hours looking for them and just can't seem to find them yet. Target ephemera is available here

What I Learned:

1.  I did vow to stop buying art that needed to be framed because I could never decide how to properly frame them, so I started buying art that was ready to hang and now I realize I have difficulties deciding where to hang them all.

2.  I'm running out of wall space to hang all the art I've bought annually and the art I've made myself.

3.  The only wall space left is where the rug or blanket is hanging above the sofa, but I'm really happy with the way it looks and don't want to take it down and then have to decide where to put the blanket rug.

Living room on a very good day.

4.  Now that I'm no longer hoarding like I did in the past and finding other outlets, I've noticed that I am very wishy washy with decision making, like where to hang art on the wall.  I can spend hours trying to get the arrangement to look right to me and other times I just hang it up, just to get it hung up!

Does anyone else feel like taking a class called how to frame and hang up art 101?

Still can't decide where to hang this up, so right now it's just at on one of my tansus.

Thank you Etsy for being here as an outlet to release my hoard in the most pleasant, manageable and easiest way to dehoard without accumulating back ten fold!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily and/or weekly: HoarderRehab with 195 items, The Destiny of Things- 191 items, VintageToGoEasy - 201 items and JunkDrawerAndMore - 191 items
Related Stories:
 
Thanks for stopping by and visiting my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment