Friday, January 3, 2014

Green Art Jane Product Glasses from Spain: The Destiny of Things, Story #146

Green Art Jane Product Glasses from Spain:  The Destiny of Things, Story #146

Sometimes information and surprises seem to just fall from the sky right into my lap!

These are my glasses!  photo via Hoarder Rehab

Information and surprises like these emails are like small miracles to me and this one came as a pair!

Pam from PJs Paradise was kind enough to email information on these glasses that helped them to find their new home.  She let me know that they were from the 60s and is a Jane Product, made in Spain because her glasses had just sold and still had the stickers.

She said it was somewhat astonishing to find someone else with the same exact glasses right after hers sold!  Thank you Pam from PJs Paradise for emailing me additional information on them!

These are PJs Paradise's glasses that Pam found at an estate sale:


 photo via PJsParadise


Which is interesting because I bought mine brand new in the 80s at a little now defunct shop on Colorado Street in Pasadena, California.  They had rows and rows of these, but I had to collect them one or two at a time to collect a set of 8 because on a teacher's salary, well, they were a pretty penny!

As you can see they are very different looking!  When I fist saw them I had to have some because they are so uniquely functional! They have finger gripping on the bottom of each cup and the pyramid like design at the top is to stop your ice cubes. I thought they were so funny and at the same time, someone had put some thought into their design.

Definitely a conversation piece to any bar ware or small dinner party.  And they sure were!

 photo via Hoarder Rehab

Some of my friends loved them, others thought they were so "me". One friend loved them so much, she asked for some for Christmas! I wonder if she still has them. They are ergonomic for finger placement and have raised pyramids inside at the top to keep you from accidentally swallowing some ice-cubes, however one does have to be drink slowly otherwise the cubes can hit the pyramids and your nose!

Here is a photo with the original label from PJs Paradise that I remember all mine had until they got washed off.  I loved mine and the labels they never went into the dishwasher, well, to be honest I hardly ever use my dishwasher, but anyways, my memory did serve me right because about the only thing I could remember about these glasses is that I thought there were made from an artist in Spain.



photo via PJsParadise

Almost as soon as I changed the listing title and tags to include 60s Jane Products from Spain, they sold and came with:

Note from Buyer

I am getting these to match ones that I inherited from my parents. They also live in Los Angeles so perhaps there's a connection. I'd had quite a few but over the years they break. I was down to about 10 total, but have been looking and have started to find a few here and there. Please let me know if you have any more!

Thanks.


Saying Goodbye:  Although I love these for their uniqueness, fun and fond memories letting them go isn't so bad knowing they are going to a collector of 10!  They are joining a large family and will be well taken care of, loved and used well.

What I Learned:

1.  These are quite the collectible item now perhaps because a different Etsyian contacted me and asked if my friend still has hers, which she might because as starving college students with three other friends, it was traditional to wrap stuff from around our houses for Christmas gifts to each other and sometimes things got passed around for years!  For instance, I remember for the longest time a one sided flip flop got passed around for years, perhaps decades!

Anyways, the Etsyian loves these glasses too and has broken all of hers through the years and wants to share one with her father-in-law who has Asperger's because the concreteness of the glass will help him, so there must be an interesting connection there as well.

My friend is quite busy, but I think this may be a good way to reconnect with her too and perhaps reunite with a post traditional Christmas, Chinese New Year or Valentines of wrapping stuff for each other from around our houses!

Thank you Etsy buyer from Hoarder Rehab for emailing me your story letting me know that my unique drinking glasses will be safe and sound with their new lives and home.

Thank you other Etsyian for inquiring about my friend having the other half of my Jane Art glass collection and bringing back many college Christmas memories with them.  I haven't forgotten and will ask her soon, now that the hustle and bustle of the holidays are over.

Thank you Pam from PJsParadise  for the additional information that had a helping hand with finding these glasses their new lives!  Visit her Etsy shop, PJsParadise!  Be sure to take a look at her shop banner because that's the beautiful view from her house.

She has many items I just love, like Mad Men era game, "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," here and this matching "Become Independently Wealthy" gag gift here and check out the cartoon in the last photo!  Too funny!

Last but not least, this vintage box of Milton Bradley counting discs that she used when she was little and so did her children!  I love the graphics and colors, available here!

Thank you Etsy for more unexpected surprises and fun memories!

Thank you US, France, Germany, UK, Chile, Canada, India, Romania, China, Ukraine and Netherlands
for your visits since Monday and taking part in my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!  

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 102 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will resume adding new listings on Monday, January 6, 2014.  


Related Stories:

I can't think of any related stories at this time, so I will leave you with the one I wrote exactly a year ago, "Destiny As Infinity: Today's HoarderRehab Epiphany #6, mish mash of thoughts"  I'll read it again later too because in many ways I've come so far, yet right now I don't feel it.


Most Read Story of the Week, Month and All TimeMy Louis Vuitton Collection: the end of my collection is the beginning for someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things!   

PS.  I have another Jane Art Product from World War II, but it's not from Spain, it's from the Mariana Islands.  It's a bracelet made from a Jap Zero plane, available here.  I doubt if the two are related, but I can not find any information on Jane Art Products from any era, maybe someone "out there" does and will pass it along?  Thank you in advance!

I raise a toast with these now virtual glasses, "Happy New Year to everyone!  I hope 2014 brings good health, happiness and abundance.  May all your wishes come true this year of the horse!" 

2 comments:

  1. the article is very informative, enjoyed reading it
    I have 7 glasses on eBay at this point and I will change the name of the listing to your recommendation,
    Thank you
    Francecsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, I am so grateful it was helpful.

    ReplyDelete