Monday, May 5, 2014

Encyclopedia of Furniture Reference Book: The Destiny of Things, Story 192

Encyclopedia of Furniture Reference Book:  The Destiny of Things, Story 192

I am so thankful that some Etsy buyers have the same taste in books as I do!

photo via The Destiny of Things

I must say that for some reason, it's much easier for me to find new homes for my vintage books than it is for my vintage clothes!  I thought it was going to be the other way around.

Anyways, I received a simple note from the buyer:

Hello !

If there is a way to exclude the invoice in the package, please do! This item is a gift and is being sent directly to the receiver. Thank you! 

photo via The Destiny of Things
 If you are like me and love encyclopedias, you might enjoy 
Encyclopedia of American Cities, available here

What a cool gift!!!!  So I wrapped it up with in general neutral gift wrap with it's omiyage "thank you" package and off it went!

As a child, sometimes the only thing to do at my Grandparents house was to read the encyclopedia because as children my brother and I weren't allowed to watch television, except for about an hour a week, which was either the news for a half hour or Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, which if I remember correctly was on Sunday nights for a half hour?

Anyways, my encyclopedia reading became so intense that my parents bought us a set and I happily read it from A to Z several times over.  I was also content as a child to read a dictionary.

And it carried into my adulthood.  In one of my moves, my Aunt and her friends came to help me and we spend one entire day just packing up all my books!  I lost count of boxes of books!  My Aunt also returned to help me unpack and it took us all day to unpack them too!  She kept suggesting that I take advantage of my local library!  haha! 

Her suggestion must have stuck because I do use my local library now and soon after and before one of my next moves purged almost all my books I had collected from childhood through college.  However, I do regret letting go of most of my 70s-90s American literature!  And when I do go thrifing look for my lost literature books, but end up picking up old reference books, dictionaries or encyclopedias!

photo via The Destiny of Things
 If you are like me and love encyclopedias, you might enjoy 
Encyclopedia of American Cities, available here

And I have a specific way to reading my reference books and magazines!  I like to turn every page and look at all the pictures.  Then I go back and read what catches my eye and lastly I read it in order from the beginning to the end!  

This Encyclopedia of Furniture was quite interesting and easy to use because it was in quick dictionary like reference guide style. For example, if you ever wondered what is meant about "cabriole" you can look it up like using a dictionary and find a definition, brief history, illustration and black and white photo examples. And it included a glossary of designers and craftsmen.

More of my vintage book collection, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I don't mind letting go of my books or at least one hasn't hit a nerve yet and I always tell myself, if it doesn't sell I can use it as paper ephemera for one of my art projects!

I even like to buy old high school or college text books to read.  And I don't mind them marked up, underlined and with comments penciled in the margins!  Those I usually keep to myself because I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who likes them that way.  And I'm also a reader who does the same to my books, but only to my keepers!

More of my vintage book collection, available here

So I am very pleased when I find writing in books, like this one above with the book owner's signature or the one below that had it's newspaper advertisement taped right in it!

I like little surprises like these found in old books 
and was secretly hoping this book wouldn't sell, but it did, so I could upcycle it!
More of my vintage book collection, available here
 
What I Learned:

1.  I think now that more and more of my hoard has left, it really is starting to help unclutter my mind too!  And the upside to my more clear mind is that I notice things about myself and my habits, like how I love to read reference books and magazine and how I enjoy reading them, even dictionaries!  
 
Well, I have to be pretty bored to read a dictionary now a days, but do keep a mini one in my bag, just in case I'm stuck some where with nothing to do!
 
2.  What to do with my vintage clothing because they sell so slowly and for me, they are the most time consuming to take photos and list with measurements, but when I buy something I need to see how it looks on, so taking the time putting them on and putting them away, etc is no fun in the park for me.  It's probably why I don't like clothes shopping in the first place!  I find it tiring to try on clothes!
 
Any suggestions "out there" for selling vintage clothing more successfully?

Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for making requests and leaving clues to how this book might be spending it's time now!

Thank you Etsy for helping me let go of over 665 hoarded items by finding new lives and home for them.  Many with interesting connections that help me learn and demystify my hoarding ways!  Thank you!
 
Thank you Spain, US, Kazakhstan, China, Germany, Pakistan, Libya, New Zealand, Malta, Oman and many other countries helping me too with my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!  

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 163 items ,  The Destiny of Things-173 items , VintageToGoEasy - 149 items and now JunkDrawerLove - 125 items!  My new goal is to have 175 items listed on each shop, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop five days a week!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
 
Related Stories:  All from Etsy buyers who bought books to help unload my hoard!
 
1.  Goodbye Mr. Happy and Book, my first book with a story, here 
 
2.  Baton Twirling How to Book, never thought I'd get a story with this book and it sold the day I listed it, read it here.
 
3.  Another book I was hoping wouldn't sell, so I could use it for paper ephemera in my art, A Spanish English Children's Dictionary with Richard Scary illustrations, read about it here 
 
4.  More Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark Book by A. Schwartz & Stephen Gammel, here
 
5.  Ali's first story from the Alvin Schwartz book, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark:  See the tree house where the stories will be read out loud from an Etsy shop owner, thank you Ali! (click for her Etsy shop)
 
6.  UPDATE with the book and tree house dressed up for Halloween!  here 
 
7.  If You Give a Mouse a Cookie Book and Mouse doll, here

8.  A lovely story from a quilter and her Quilt Book, Quilts: A Living Tradition by Robert Shaw, here
 
 Nyanko Burger Cat stationery memo pad with mini grocery bags and stickers to match!
I just had to have this to add to my kawaii stationery collection!
Another hoard mystery to solve...
 
"Half the ills we heard within our hearts are ills because we hoard them." ---Bryan Porter
Half the ills we heard within our hearts are ills because we hoard them.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/h

No comments:

Post a Comment