Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Doily Wedding Craft Garland: The Destiny of Things, Story 202

Doily Wedding Craft Garland:  The Destiny of Things, Story 202

These are going to be in a wedding!!!!

48 mixed sized doily pack, available here

Here's the note I received:

I am preparing for my daughter's wedding. I tea stained the doilies and fastened them to jute to create banners for tables at the reception. 

Wow, these must look even more gorgeous tea stained hanging from jute as a garland!  I wonder if they were difficult to tea stain.  I wonder what the final product looks like and of course, I'd love to be a fly and buzz around and see all the creativeness at her daughter's wedding!
48 mixed sized doily pack, available here

Doilies are good for all kinds of creative things, but I have yet to do much with mine.  I did make a quick garland as a sample and doily envelopes too!  

Here's some projects I'd like to try:

Herb and flower holder idea, larger French doilies available here

I take that back!  I have made some cards with doilies, just not the round ones.  I've made many cards with the small red hearts ones.

Here's some cones that seem easy enough to make for holding herbs and flowers or party confetti or wedding petals:

Cone style holder, 8.5 round doilies available here

 The "Keep This Coupon" card is going to a friend, on the back of the card is the other half of the coupon,
The middle heart lace doily card is available here
and the last doodad was an experiment with a choya top

The above is made with these doilies here and only took one doily:

These are small red paper lace heart doilies and have "with love" embossed on the inside heart
Available here

With the little heart scraps in this doily I made this mixed media loteria card:

El Paraguas Mixed Media Art Loteria Card, here
I would like to embellish all 54 cards as a series!

Okay, so I have been busier than I thought going through my art project "to do" lists, but my project days have come to a stand still!

48 mixed sized doily pack, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I hope I never have to say goodbye to doilies!  Somewhere in my hoard is a sample of Valentines I made for everyone in my kindergarten class made with red construction paper and doily!  I do remember my little fingers becoming so sore after hand cutting 27 hearts with right handed scissors for a left hander!

What I Learned:

1.  If you ask me, doilies make the world go around!  And how they got to be so expensive, I'd sure like to know!

2.  Doily History and Traditional Uses:  Doilies were first made out of fabric and/or crocheted and were primarily used as furniture protection, like coasters for vases and beverages, flower arrangement, especially for a bouquet of posies, head covering, clothing ornamentation and lastly for food presentation and etiquette.

Crochet doilies often separated the dessert plate from the finger bowl in formal settings.  I've only used a finger bowl a couple of times in restaurants, but I do remember my Grandmothers using their crochet doilies to cushion and pack their China dishes after holiday dinners for storage.

And my Grandmothers used the paper ones for eating inside or out, but especially for outside picnics and patio, like bento boxes, finger sandwiches, desserts and cookies.

Now I even remember making doily origami elephants with her!

 My doily sample banner is reuseable and folds flat for storage, available here
Add some simple twisted streamers, also available here

What memories do doilies bring you?  They brought me a  lot!  More than I expected.

Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for letting me know how you are using your set of doilies!  What fun and how lucky your daughter is to have a Mom creating your big day celebration with such details!  I hope it gives others inspiration and ideas too!

Thank you Etsy as more stories come pouring in and I might need to write daily to keep up with them!  It's so fun and interesting to get each and every one of them!

Thank you US, Luxembourg, India, China, Germany, Finland, United Kingdom, Italy, Lithuania, Sweden and many other countries for taking part in support towards my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!  

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and one has just been met at The Destiny of Things, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop five days a week! 



Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 175 items ,  The Destiny of Things-191 items , VintageToGoEasy - 164 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 142 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
 
Related Stories:

1.  Paper Lace Heart Doilies as Table Confetti and more, read about it here

2.  Alice and Wonderland Dinner Party doily coasters all the way to the UK, here 

3.  Loteria Cards as another Wedding Day craft, here

4.  My Apothecary Jars turned into Wedding Candy bar, here.  My third story!

5.  My Grandmother would have used doilies with these snack plates and tea cups here!

"Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."  A moment of silence for Maya Angelou....  

1 comment:

  1. What a pleasant surprise, I didn't expect to see a blog post for Wednesday due to the short holiday week. I never would have guessed how many fun and easy ways there were to use paper doilies! Very fun and cool ideas! I remember dollies on desert carts, for tea cookies and as coasters. in this post I see a close up of the room divider with the design of the fancy stationary/ envelopes that were for sale & I noticed the picture of card for a friend.:)

    ReplyDelete