Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Loteria Mexican Bingo Game Wedding Crafts: The Destiny of Things, Story 188

Loteria Mexican Bingo Game Wedding Crafts:  The Destiny of Things, Story 188

An Etsy buyer bought both versions of this popular Mexican Fiesta game!

This is the more updated retro version of the loteria game
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Here's the email:

Yes indeedy! For my fiesta theme wedding :) not positive how yet... Thanks!

This is the traditional version with it's well loved graphics
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

How cool is that!  They will be used in her "Fiesta" themed wedding!  She sent a question asking what the backs of the new version look like and they basically have the fur de lise symbol with striped coloring in green and orange.  So I asked if she was going to craft with these like I do and she sent the short email. 

I like both versions of the loteria Mexican bingo game and have used both versions in my art, but I am partial to the traditional version because I love the riddles on the back of each playing card, even if they are in Spanish and my third grade version of Spanish usually doesn't translate well.  And also because each game board has old fashioned games on the back of them!

This is the traditional version with different games on the back of each game board
and the riddles in Spanish on the back of each card.
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Traditionally one would sing out the riddle, instead of using the bingo number, so in the classroom whoever was the host could choose to sing it out or read it.  My third graders that liked to ham it up would sing them out with great fun!  For beginners and my non Spanish learners or English only learners we said the riddle first and then the number in English.  

We also used traditional markers, such as dried pinto beans and/or rocks found at recess.  Later we would grow the pinto beans.  Also in the Spanish version, there are different ways to win.  One way is the same as our American style either a four way line, straight or diagonal and another is a completed tablet, whichever is decided.  Others are four corners and/or any combination of four that forms a square on the board.  Or a different way, which my students loved was to decide on a letter to form, like a Z or N.

 Examples of how to win making letters are shown in the last two boxes with Z and N
photo via The Destiny of Things, game available here

Here are more examples of the ways to win here on wiki and I'll take a photo of how to do the letters this weekend.

Some examples of the most loved classroom riddles are:  

2 El diablito (The Little Devil)
Pórtate bien cuatito, si no te lleva el coloradito.
Behave yourself so that the little red one doesn't carry you off.
33 La araña (The Spider)
Atarántamela a palos, no me la dejes llegar.
Beat it silly, do not let it reach me!
The whole set of riddles can be found in Spanish with English translations here on wiki
This is the more updated retro version of the loteria game
photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

This game originated from Italy in the 15th century and was brought to New Spain, now Mexico in 1769.  In 1886, Don Clemente Jacques started publishing the game in the US and gaining popularity her and in Europe.  So as a disclaimer, some of the cards and riddles are very old fashioned and in this day and age, may not be perceived as politically correct.  Explanations to children may be needed before playing.  Viewer discretion advised to children of all ages!

photo via The Destiny of Things, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I've been using the traditional cards since the 80s as a third grade teaching tool.  Back then my class ratio was 90% Spanish readers with 10% English readers, so we played this game as an example of what it's like to be learning a new language.  I also used this in my art when I used to make little loteria shrine boxes.

I'll have to see if I still have some, but I think I gave them all away to friends that wanted them.  I think I have photos of them some where in the hoard!  I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

What I Learned:

1.  I am happy to hear that there are others "out there" like me who get so excited over finding something cool that they buy it without really having a project in mind!  At least if she doesn't use it in some way as a wedding craft, everyone can play it during her "fiesta" wedding!

 Beautiful unique example of wedding seating arrangement display someone emailed to me.

2.  The stress of this past holiday threw me for a loop and has triggered a small buying spree as retail therapy!  At least this time it was just post stress and not pre, during and post, so hopefully I'll stop soon!  It still is a huge improvement from all my years before I started this Hoarder Rehab journey.

3.  I have been finding other outlets to focus on rather than hoard buying and that has been mending my much loved jeans and favorite gauze shirt, both of which I've worn to threads and are slowly mending and patching up.  I hope to remember to take photos of them this weekend.

The beginning of my jeans mend with photos is here.

Thank you Etsy buyer from The Destiny of Things for sending me the little email that went a long way to help me and my Hoarder Rehab journey!  Best wishes to you and Congratulations to your fiancee!  And I hope both versions of the loteria game bring you and yours many happy new memories towards the start of your new life together!  I am thankful to be a tiny part of it in some tiny way!

Thank you Etsy for your continued support and major outlet for my Hoarder Rehab with over 650 of my hoarded items finding new lives and homes almost everyday!

Thank you US, China, Germany, France, Netherlands, South Africa and other countries for your continued support to by taking part and visiting Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEasy and now JunkDrawerLove!  There are about 114 items listed on JunkDrawerLove and relistings to each shops daily and adding new listings weekly to all shops too! Thanks for looking!  Find something to take home and share your story too!

My latest alternative to hoarding....mixed media art collage mexican folk art loteria style:
photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here
"It is only by forgiving that we ourselves are forgiven." ---St. Francis of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment