Monday, April 28, 2014

Scrapbook Projects and Rubber Date Stamper: The Destiny of Things, Story 190

Scrapbook Projects and  Rubber Date Stamper:  The Destiny of Things, Story 190

I love my date stamper because it's a little different and someone else "out there" does too!

 Another nice detail to this stamper is that it has the thumbnail flat side, shown above
which easily indicates the date is right side up
photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

I originally bought mine 20 years ago because third graders are always forgetting to write their names and dates on papers, so in the beginning of the year to create good habits, I'd let them use this date stamper by passing it around during work time.

Every ten years I'd buy a new one, but around 2007 when I needed a new one  I couldn't find one that didn't cost an arm and a leg!  And hence the good habit of writing names and dates first thing on work assignments kinda plummeted.

And last year 2013, I found them again!  The exact same kind with the date first, then month and lastly year, which isn't the ideal way to write the date, nor the way it's supposed to be taught in school, but at least it's the date and personally I like the way it looks better.

So I bought one for my art projects which I date with this stamper mainly because I like the way this date stamp looks and sometimes I go back and put my art in date order just to see how my art has been evolving.

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

Well, an Etsy buyer likes the way it looks too and told me so!  She basically said she loves the awesome impression it leaves on her scrapbooking projects!  Who doesn't love validation!  And I wonder how it looks on her scrapbooks.  I bet just wonderful!

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

That's how it looks stamped on grey construction paper.  I haven't been using the stamp as often on my art projects because I think perhaps others don't want the date stamped on them if they are going to use them as greeting cards or postcards.

Someone from Etsy did ask me why I have so many if I'm a recovering hoarder and well, my only excuse is that I think other teachers and artists will find the price appealing.  

And this is a teacher tool worth having, especially at the beginning of the year!  If I were to make a care package for beginning teachers for the first day of school, this would be the first item in it, besides 60 sharpened pencils, 60 eraser toppers, 60 flag stickers to personalize, 32 boxes of crayons and 32 blank journals!

And I say 32 because even though each class usually has 30 students, the first day through the first week, even month of school can be confusing for everyone and students end up in the wrong class or transfer in and out without reason and every student feels more welcome when they walk in the door and all the tools needed for a successful day are ready and all in one place!

I think I'll always have my teacher feelings!  but now here's some examples of how I use the stamper now.

Front of Butterflies and Bows, available here


Back of Butterflies and Bows, available here

Four days later, still on my butterfly theme, but I can see how it evolved into something more subdued and carefree.

Front of Butterfly Meadows, available here

Back of Butterfly Meadows, available here

This date stamper not only comes in handy for art and scrapbooking, but for classroom office paperwork too, like dating field trip slips before they go home, etc.  And it's easy to get an classroom helper because most kids love to stamp and stamp pad!

Tiny secret:  One of the reasons I became a notary is because I can stamp my little heart out!  And yes, I used to have a huge teacher collection of stamps in English and Spanish that was overflowing out of my caboodle and was probably the only person I knew who kept stamps, instead of make up in mine!

Out of huge classroom stamp collection, the ones I used the most were the date stamper, one with a tiny heart on it (I used in case one forgot to write in their names and used it when I found written sentences I favored), a self inking smiley face that played, "you are my sunshine" and another self inking one which read, 100% percent.  And that was it!


And before Caboodles, I had quite the tackle box collection too, which some held my fishing stuff, another my stain glass tools and one for bead supplies.  Okay, I am digressing.

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

Saying Goodbye:   No worries, but as a recovering hoarder, I do possess a small fear that in 9 years when this stamper runs out, I may not find a new one so easily and may have to wait 6 years to find one again?  I know to most people that may not sound reasonable, but as a recovering hoarder the twinge of fear is a reality for me and adds to my hoarding issues.

Maybe now that I've said it out loud, I can work on better accepting my issues and find a way to remedy my twinges of fear so far ahead in the future.  I wonder if that's a common issue with hoarders?

What I Learned:

1.  I have quite the stamp collection and this is the one I use the most.  I love to stamp, but I don't like cleaning them, so I don't use them as often as I'd like.

2.  I may need to work on my teacher mode issues.  I seem to fall into "teacher mode" quite easily when I shop even though it's been many years since I've been in a classroom and I don't miss it.  Although I left teaching years ago, it seems it hasn't left me alone and this summer I will have to face a class action battle from the past.  I really look forward to crossing that off my "To Do" list forever.

3.  Perhaps maybe I've found a way to hoard without hoarding, since many others like this date stamper too!

How do you handle the stress of unfinished business after you thought it was finished?  Not too well over here and I'm not a patient waiter for important dates in the far future.  I seem to fret over them as they approach and when I finally do forget about it, so has the important date!  

Retail therapy used to my answer to stress and waiting, but I'll have to keep with my varying projects and dehoarding!  Plus some of my favorite new shows have returned, like Game of Thrones, Mad Men and the new show, Fargo.

 Mother's day washi tape art cards for my Mom.  She loves to quilt and the Kusa or Japanese grass is
a little reminder to let her know that all those years of Japanese lessons were not lost!
photo via Hoarder Rehab, available here

Thank you kind Etsy buyer for leaving me a short note about the stamper leaving an awesome special impression with your scrapbooking projects.  At least I know you'll have fun with it for the next nine years!

Thank you Etsy for the many connections with happy buyers and sometimes making my connection extra special!

Thank you US, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, France, Ukraine, and other countries for taking part in my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!  

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEasy and now JunkDrawerLove!  My NEW GOAL is to list 175 items on each shop, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop every business day!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!

Related Stories:  Other Date Stamper stories...

1.  A kindergarten teacher saving time using this date stamper, here!  A "destiny as infinity" story!

2.  "Destiny as Infinity":  How I got the idea of "untold destiny" wishes through a mish mash of thoughts! 

3.  My other "must have" teacher tools, I kept close at hand:   Service Bell and Receipt Spike

4.  I received a handwritten snail mail letter with a beautiful personal book marker about someone's story and their date stamper and I can't find it!  I think it's a long lost story I MUST find now!

"Nothing brings you peace, but the triumph of principles."  Boyd Crowder from Justified quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson.

No comments:

Post a Comment