Monday, April 7, 2014

Retro Cocktail Animal Figurine Drink Marker Charms: The Destiny of Things, Story 181

Retro Cocktail Animal Figurine Drink Marker Charms:  The Destiny of Things, Story  181

Calling all party animals!


photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

These are from my childhood past and I still love them so!  I've loved miniature trinkets, since I can remember and mostly played with them on car rides as a child.  I couldn't wait til my parents came home from date night too see what kind of restaurant souvenir they'd bring home for me.

It's probably why I love paper drink umbrellas, these cocktail figurines, especially the mermaid and empty matchboxes.  All restaurant souvenirs my parents would give to me for the ride home from the babysitters.

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

It brought an Etsy buyer fond memories also, especially the monkeys and now she's going to use them as party souvenir favors!  How fun!

I've used them for animal themed parties from circus to zoo for adults and children.  They come in handy to dress up and entertain any drink from hot cocoa to Shirley Temples!  Although the paper umbrellas do a better job at holding the cherry!

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

A Shirley Temple is an old fashioned non alcoholic drink.  My favorite from childhood made with ginger ale or 7-up with juice from the jar of maraschino cherries.  And of course, one or two cherries at the end of one of these umbrellas or the mermaid sitting inside the cup with a cherry on her tail!  Sipping one felt so grown up and such a treat!

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, available here

Saying Goodbye:  I have a couple junk drawers full of these!  I've been collecting them here and there over the years and when I mentioned them to a friend, he gave me over 100 of them!  His stash even had some giraffes and donkeys in them!

I wonder if I have all the different types now.

What I Learned:

1.  As a recovering hoarder, I buy a lot of things connected to my past, especially souvenir trinkets and prizes from my childhood.  Once I realized the connection, I've been buying less, but I still pick things up and consciously put them back down.

2.  Of course, I was going to use these nostalgic drink markers in a long lost art project I can no longer remember and I've solved that problem too!  Now when I buy something for an art project, I print out the receipt and write down my ideas on my art project "to do" list.

Now I try and do the project the week I get it and don't buy something else until the project has been completed.  I mean really, I have enough stuff for a life time of projects!

How many projects do you have going?  and how do you keep them organized?  I only do short easy 4 hour projects that are easy to prepare and clean up right now, otherwise as a recovering hoarder, I will get carried away and leave a strung out trail and mess for weeks on end!

Thank you kind Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerLoveEtsy for sending me word and for reminding me of some long lost projects I was going to use them in.  I think this week, I'll leave some out on the kitchen windowsill as inspiration and use one for my morning tea!

Thank you Etsy for helping me find over 635 new homes for my hoarded items and making connections with Etsy buyers to help me with my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things adventures!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEasy and now JunkDrawerLove!  There are about 104 items listed on JunkDrawerLove and relistings to each shops daily and adding new listings weekly to all shops too!  Thanks for looking!  Find something to take home and share your story too!  
My latest alternative to hoarding... collages using my hoard of washi tapes!
 
 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, original collage here
 
Related Stories:
 
1.  An Etsy buyer had her mermaid drink charm for over 50 years, read her story here.
 
2.  Fortune Teller Miracle Fishas a party favor souvenir for a spy secret agent themed party and my first story about these!

3.  80s Erasers as party favor souvenirs, here

"Onwards and UPwards!"  Happy Monday, see you on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment