Monday, December 16, 2013

Tiny Erasers Vintage 80s Taiwan: The Destiny of Things, Story #138

Tiny Erasers Vintage 80s Taiwan:  The Destiny of Things, Story #138

Remember these?  Kawaii erasers from Taiwan small enough to fit in gumball capsules!


 photo via VintageToGoEtsy, available erasers here and here
  

It came with a story!  Here is the email:


 
Hi!

Thanks so much. I am actually buying these as party favors for my husbands 30th birthday. I will be putting all different fun things from the 80's in the party favor bags :) Feel free to share on your blog and congrats on your recovery!


 
 
Thank you for letting me use your story on my blog and for your kind words too, they keep me going!

That's cool an 80s party! I have retro Miracle Fortune Fish at my other shop. Kids and adults love them!

Here are the Miracle fortune fish, in case you are interested:

www.etsy.com/listing/126701403/new-lot-of-10-fortune-teller-fish-retro

Let me know if you are looking for more party favors and what other kinds because a lot will fit in the small flat rate box.

Kind regards,
~Kennedy at
www.etsy.com/shop/HoarderRehab
www.etsy.com/shop/thedestinyofthings
www.etsy.com/shop/JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
www.etsy.com/shop/vintagetogoetsy

Read 120+ stories from Etsy buyers who have helped me stay focused on my Hoarder Rehab!

hoarderrehab.blogspot.com/

 
photo via Hoarder Rehab, Miracle Fortune Fish available here.  I have a lot of these because they are included in my "Thank you" packaging with every order.  See various samples of my omiyage "thank you" packaging here, here and here

She ordered a lot of Miracle Fortune Fish too!

Wow, people are having 80's parties already? I have found new homes for a lot that have gone to 80s collectors!  The last era themed party I went to was a 60s party when my Aunt turned 60!

Anyways, I wonder if she'll have an 80s party when she turns 80?


photo via VintageToGoEtsy, available erasers here and here


It seems that much of my teacher destash from my 80s teaching years has become 80s party favors for today's birthdays turning 30!  Which means that many of my students from my first several years of teaching are turning 30 too!


photo via VintageToGoEtsy, available erasers here and here

Saying Goodbye:  No worries yet.  I have so many of these, so I'm not going to run out of them anytime soon!  I do need to set aside a set for myself and some of my favorites for my art.  I have since found more erasers of leaping frogs, here and flowers.

My students loved these and for a break we'd all stand up and I'd pass them out by tossing them underhand.  Our classroom had about 20 feet ceilings so I'd underhand toss them really high to each person.

It's a really interesting fun assessment to do on the first day of school and through out the year.  It will not only asses motor skills, but I would also find out who was left handed and right handed, who was scared at getting things thrown to them and those that loved it and wanted me to hit the ceiling with theirs to see if they could still catch it!

Great to take as rewards when subbing too, however the best teacher trick I learned for subbing was to learn everyone's name within the first five minutes, so I would spend the first five minutes taking my time with roll call and usually taught them how to say "hello" in a language they chose.

I used to know at least 30 ways to greet someone in all kinds of different languages, including Klingon!  Which surprisingly I learned when I rode the Star Trek ride in Las Vegas and my friend was so nerved afterwards that she had to have a drink in the bar and she ordered the biggest drink possible that came in an orb with multiple straws and was fogging with dry ice!

I think it was called, "The Warp Core Destroyer."  Let's see I looked it up.  Sad to say the Star Trek Ride at the Las Vegas Hilton is no longer there and even more sad to say, the entire Star Trek Experience is gone, including Quark's bar!

As a consolation I did find the recipe for the drink, "War Core Breach"  I was close on remembering the name! 

Warp Core Breach

  • 4.5 oz Bacardi Superior (or any white, clear, cheap rum out there)
  • 3 oz Bacardi Limon (or any lemon rum you can find)
  • 1.5 oz Bacardi Select (Meyers Dark rum also works, or whatever dark rum your store has)
  • 1.5 oz Bacardi Spice (Captain Morgans also works, but any spice rum will do)
  • 1.5 oz Dekuyper Lucious Raspberry Rush (formerly known as Razzmatazz, this is the most important part, other Raspberry liquers don’t seem to work)
  • .75 oz Bacardi 151 (any 151 proof rum will do, since they all seem to taste like gasoline by themselves)
  • 30 oz (1.5 bottles) Sobe Power (finding Aceorla/passion berry juice is too hard to find so just use Sobe Power, besides, the caffeine in the Sobe Power ads an extra kick to the drink)
Mix the alcohol, pour into a bowl, add the 30 oz of Sobe Power and food-grade dry ice and there you have it, the Warp Core Breach.

or it might have been:

James Tea Kirk

Like the Borg Sphere is basically a Tokyo Tea, the James Tea Kirk is basically an AMF (Adios Mother Fucker). Not a difficult drink to find a recipe for, but here you go:
  • .75 oz Bacardi Superior (or other white rum)
  • .75 oz Gin
  • .75 oz Vodka
  • .75 oz Blue Curaco
  • 1 oz Sprite (or 7up or other Lemon Lime soda)
  • 1 oz Sweet and Sour mix
Mix together and pour over ice.
I was going over my old drink lists and found the old recipe for the bowl version of the James Tea Kirk. This one I thought was better so here you go:
  • 1.25 oz Gin
  • 1.25 oz Smirnoff Citrus Twist Vodka
  • 1.25 oz Vodka
  • 1.25 oz Blue Curaco
  • 1.25 oz Bacardi Superior (or other white rum)
  • 30 oz Sweet and Sour mix
Mix all ingredients in a bowl with dry ice and enjoy. This used to have Gatorade Alpine Frost in addition to the Sour mix, but they don’t make Alpine Frost anymore.

I think it was the Warp Core Breach since it was red purplish pink in color and I remembered most of it's name!

Since I can barely remember the name of the drink for Warp Core Breach, how I remembered 30 names in five minutes to sub is beyond me, but it was "thee" most important tool I learned to use for keeping a class as substitute in order because the first five minutes of judgement is a good indication of how well the rest of the day is going to go and with fifth and sixth graders with a sub, it's a survival skill worth utilizing!

I've taught fifth and sixth graders that were known to have subs quit mid day due to cutting the hair of one of their subs while they were writing on the chalkboard!  I lasted the entire two weeks until their regular teacher returned from surgery.  Oddly enough, after the first day they stopped calling me Ms. M and started calling me Dr. M, so who knows what rumor was started in my behalf!

Here are some other funny rumors or gossip asked about me:

"Was it true I skipped high school and went straight to college to become a teacher?"  This was the first funny question I can remember being asked by a parent during my second or third year teaching.

"Was Ms. J my twin sister?"  This was funny because although Ms. J and I were both teacher friends and the same build, she had blue eyes and blonde hair!

"Was it true that I was a millionaire doctor and took each class to Hawaii over summer break every year?"  This was asked to me at recess from a student I didn't know, probably asked on a dare?  And ten years before I started to teach my class Millionaire Studies 101.

What I Learned:

1.  I'm happy to have the vintage erasers bring back some good memories, but sad to learn that the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas, Nevada is no longer available!

Last tidbit of information started from that story, as we were leaving the bar, several Klingons asked if we wanted our photo taken with them.  Of course, I declined, but I did ask them how to say, "hello" in Klingon and they said there was no such word, but Klingons greet by saying, NuqneH, which sounded to me, like "Knack Nair," which they told me the direct translations was, "what do you want?"  I thought that was so funny, all my students learned that one!

However, they learned it with an inner city Los Angeles accent because it's supposed to sound like this, here, which sounds like three syllables to me.  Learn more useful phrases in Klingon and other languages at Omniglot, here

2.  With the holidays almost here, I feel the hustle and bustle and all the days are starting to turn into one long blur, also instead of knocking off when my head hits the pillow, it takes about 20 minutes to fall asleep.

The bright side:  I am still sleeping well and catching up sleep here and there.  Plus, I am looking forward to 2014 and am semi ready with some New Year's Resolutions, goals and dreams!

Thank you Mary Kate from VintageToGoEtsy for letting me share your story.  And what fun it was!  Thank you and I hope the erasers brought back some memories to those at the 80s Birthday party!

Thank you Etsy for bring me closer to my dreams of a Minimalist Organic home with a music art room, instead of hoard storage!  Which is making progress, but not so much as music art room yet, but at least as an office room with enough space now for shipping and packing area with a multi purpose xerox machine and cleared sewing machine table!

Thank you "The Ugly Couch Show and Geekshock Podcast" for the recipes, more like them here!  Enjoy the drink recipes and enjoy the Star Trek Experience safely in your own home!

Thank you Omniglot for correcting my Klingon despite all the years of mispronunciation!

Thank you US, Canada, Ukraine, Australia, Egypt, France, UK, Philippine and Russia for your visits the past few days and joining my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 108 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will resume new listings in a few days and will continue to relist 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!

Related Stories:  More memories from my teacher past, some better than others....

1.  Freddie the Frog:  A story about forgiveness, here

2.  Receipt Spike and Service Bell, here with some teaching memories.

3.  Polaroid Cameras here, memories of trials and tribulations!
4.  US Puzzle Maps here, more funny dark truthful funny teacher drama trauma!

"Rule number one is get your work done and rule number two is to hell with it." -- Ray Bradbury quote to Stuart Gordon, I read in the article, Stuart Gordon: H.P. Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury and the Museum of Jurassic Technology  By

No comments:

Post a Comment