Friday, December 20, 2013

Puffer Fish Boy Friend Christmas Gift: The Destiny of Things, Story #141

Puffer Fish Boy Friend Christmas Gift:  The Destiny of Things, Story #141

Are you wondering why I hoarded a Puffer Fish?


It kinda looks like he's wondering too!  He was one of the best tools for motivating and thrilling students a teacher could own!  He got everyone look at him despite his horrific little self!  He started all kinds of oddity talk about sea creatures, debates and other fun stuff that would turn curiosity,  "just talk, " rumors and /or gossip into into student truth seekers and fact finders!

Here's his Hoarder History Story from the description:

Horrific Halloween decor or thriller teacher classroom decor!

My students loved this and it shows! This is an amazing odd curiosity to bring excitement and suspense when beginning any lesson pertaining to animals, fish, ocean life, carnivores, continents and oceans, etc!

Keep it hidden behind your back, while you introduce talk about dangerous creatures, like man eating fish and such, while turning to the side a bit, here and there AND THEN all of sudden say, "and I've got one to share with you today!" and just whip this out in a clear plastic box, inside a large zip lock bag with a Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass and you will hear the oooooh and aaaaahs, just like I did! Give your passing around rules and take turns with the inspections!

I've had him since the 80s, but he got lost in my teaching hoard and was found in my shell collection from childhood.


This is the news I received about his new life and home:

It's going to be a Christmas gift for a boy-friend this holiday!

Plain and simple, short and sweet, fine by me!  Good little memories attached this good little guy!  And I hope it makes more for the couple this Christmas and every Christmas thereafter!


Of course, I had many future plans and ideas for this little puffer fish!

1.  I was "going" to put some googly wiggly eyes on him and use him as an unique Christmas tree ornament.  Never did that.

2.  I was "going" to make him into a little night light.  Never did that.  Kinda like this one at here, at EvasFeathers Etsy shop.

3.  Lastly, I was going to just "keep" him and leave him on the little stand pictured with him, but decided that although I do eventually will have a Minimalist Organic home, I decided my shells, rocks, wood, fruit, garden flowers and other found objects in nature will suit me just fine.

So I'm going to list all my teacher destash oddities that used to be alive, like this little crab off my Mother's huge shell basket beach tote from Disneyland in the 50s.  My mom and my aunt both did a short stint at Disneyland back in the day!  There's pictures of my aunt with Walt Disney, somewhere!

++++Insert photo here when I find it!++++

Anyways, I have my Mom's shell collection that she started back as souvenirs from Disneyland in the 50s, which I continued since childhood, but all my added shells were found at the beaches and tide pools around California and Hawaii and possibly from the farm (as a kid I would find bleached white shells in the gravel road every once in awhile).  My shell collection is quite large and to display it all would take a lot of space and maintenance, so I need to decide what to do with it too.

In the mean time, so far the small taxidermy crab from my Mom's shell beach tote from Disneyland in the late 50s, possibly early 60s is listed here.  My Mom would actually use her huge beach tote, even after we picked it!

 This is the best example, I could find, but hers is three times bigger and had a ton more shells, I think it might have had three beach scenes on it, photo via Salon of the Dames 
Wow, too bad my we picked the crab and shells of it because this bag is expensive!

She used to take us to the beach almost every day each summer.  She had a white two piece bathing suit with blue cornflowers and butterflies on it and a matching kerchief head top which she actually wore too!  And she wore a crocheted cover up that my Grandmother had made her and she kept our snacks and kool aid in that huge shell beach tote from her Disneyland days!

If my Mom still has that large beach tote, I remember my brother and I picking off all the shells we could! 


Goodbye Puffer Fish:  A slight tinge of sadness went with this puffer fish, but nothing like my sadness and dismay over my other teacher destash, like Freddy the Frog! or my teacher drawer with awards, post its and what not.

I haven't figured out what is up with all the emotions those stir yet, but definitely some layers of the onion have been peeled back and getting to the core is mysterious, but going to be well worth the journey!

What I Learned:

1.  Not only do my collections lead to other collections within collections into other related collections, like a hundred doors leading into Pandora nesting boxes to a core with the golden key, but all my unsung memories seem to be tied up and tangled into it too!

So just like when I started this blog and thought I was on the merry yellow brick road, it seems just like in Baum's books that there are two yellow brick roads and I am now on the one as scary as the yellow brick road with the man eating plants!

What a new mystery journey to start unraveling for the year 2014!

How do you decide which fork in the road to take? and in the end does it really matter?  I have no idea, please leave a comment or email. Please and thank you!

Thank you Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerLoveEtsy for kindly leaving your story to help me find the clues to mine!

Thank you Etsy for helping me in so many different ways, including my Hoarder Rehab journey into the scary, yet exciting unknown.

Thank you US, Kenya, Germany, Finland, Croatia and South Korea for your visits since yesterday and taking part in my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!  

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 110 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will resume new listings in a few days and will continue to relist 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!

And thank you Ivy, my California BFF for using the invite to open your new Etsy shop, Love Lotus Vintage!  Visit her newly opened shop, Love Lotus Vintage! 

She has opened with romantic clothing, such a good way to begin the New Year!  My favorites yesterday were the kawaii Japanese red Yukata robe with strawberries and bunnies, here and 50s pink handmade house dress here.  I just love that big collar!  

Today's favorite is the Christian Dior Black Suit Blazer Jacket, here!  I love it's 80s style and it's just my size too! 

If anyone else would like an invite to open their own Etsy shop and get 40 free listings, let me know how I can help you! 

Related Stories:
1.  Freddie the Frog:  Not so easy teacher destash to let go! Read here
2.  Cobalt Blue Koi Fish Pendant:  A story that lead to a childhood memory, here
3.  Orange Koi Fish Pendant:  This story piggy backed on the memory from Cobalt Blue Koi Fish Pendant, read it here 

Most Read Story of the WeekLeft Facing Cameo Pendant Brooch:  The Destiny of Things, Story #136  

Most Read Story of the Month and All TimeMy Louis Vuitton Collection: the end of my collection is the beginning for someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things! 





No comments:

Post a Comment