Tuesday, December 17, 2013

100 Corks and Ideas of How To Use Them: The Destiny of Things, Story #139

100 Corks and Ideas of How To Use Them:  The Destiny of Things, Story #139

I got a story with a photo in my hoarderrehab@gmail.com!

photo via Hoarder Rehab

Here it is!

Sorry to take so long to get back with you.   I’ve been really busy and I truly didn’t even see the notes you had stuck in the box until the day I sat down to create the cork design.     
 
I’m including the picture of what I did with the corks.  I know it could be dressier, but I waited until the last minute to make it…..the morning of my niece’s house warming party.  Otherwise, I would have probably added some ribbon or something to spice it up.  My niece loved it just the same and I have enough corks to make another for her sister.   If so, I’ll have plenty of time to make hers a little more dressy.    Anyway, I had fun with them and thank you for being my hoarder by proxy.

I’m  sorry I didn’t get a better background other than the backsplash to my stove top.  My daughter and I were laughing at all the corks.  Did you drink all the wine or did you get the corks from a garage sale?   That’s just a LOT of corks.   I used about 100 corks.  The initial was about a foot tall and about that same width and I had to cut some up to stuff in between the corks as well.     I loved how some of the corks had the color on the end to break up all the tan colors.

 Here is the photo:


Here is what I wrote back:

Wow, your housewarming gift turned out amazingly cool just the way it is.  So functional too!  And it sounds like it didn't take that many corks either, if you can make two of them!  Makes me want to save my last bag of corks do try out your housewarming gift project!  Can I use your email as is with photo for my blog or "as is" email with photo and leave you anonymous?  This is my first cork story!  Thank you so much for taking the time to email me and send me a photo too!  As a recovering hoarder, it really is a relief to know what happens to every single one of my items!  If only that were possible, however I am learning to cope, accept and move on.

No worries about time, I understand everyone is busy and just happy that you found and read my letter!  Plus it's the holidays and My apologies for not responding to you in a more timely manner too!  I'm a techless etsy hoarder newbie and am learning to navigate on gmail and will need a lesson on how to see your wonderful work in better detail!

Thank you so much for the permission and to even use your name!

And it's not your photo that has issues, it's me!  I am really am that techless!  haha yeah and even funnier... get this I had about 10  bags of those corks!  I've listed my last one!  And Uh, yeah, no I didn't drink all that wine, but my family and friends did!  I used to be an inner city school teacher and used anything free I could get my hands on, so my family, extended family and friends (one of my friends was known to throw a lot of wine tasting parties) would save them for me and over the years I'd lose a bag here and there and finally the got lost in my hoard!

Thank you for adding details to the initial housewarming gift I will include those on my blog because I'm sure someone will want to make one after they see your example.  And I've had some complain about the coloring, so I'll definitely include your point of view of the coloring contrasts.  My Dad who rarely makes anything crafty made something like yours many years ago, but it's super long and straight and it's for holding Christmas cards.  It looks good either completely covered in cards or sparsely as a memo station.

I'm so happy you had fun with the corks and will gladly be your hoarder by proxy anytime!  ha ha you are too funny and so is your quote!  I love it!  I picture a cartoon!  Thank you for making my day by taking the time to email me, send a photo update and answer all my curious hoarder questions!

Thanks again for the story and the memories that get released along with my hoard!  I can't thank you enough!

Kindest regards,
~Kennedy on Etsy at
www.etsy.com/shop/HoarderRehab
www.etsy.com/shop/thedestinyofthings
www.etsy.com/shop/vintagetogoetsy
www.etsy.com/pt/shop/JunkDrawerLoveEtsy

Read 130+ stories from Etsy buyers who help me stay focused on my HoarderRehab!

hoarderrehab.blogspot.com/


Then she wrote me back one last time and I included her quite vivid quote:

You’re welcome.   I’m glad I can help.  And, thank you mostly for being a teacher.   It’s a highly underappreciated, thankless job and you were not paid nearly enough.   Especially, teaching in the inner city.    My heart goes out to school teachers.  We started a ministry at our church to collect school supplies for the teachers as they have to buy so much out of pocket themselves as the kids either cannot afford them or just do not bring them or move during the middle of the year and do not think to bring new with them.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Mountain Dew in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming Whoo what a ride."  Anonymous 


or in this case, a bottle of wine in one hand and some cheese in the other!

 photo via Hoarder Rehab

Yes, I suppose I hoarded corks!  It was easy to hoard them as an inner city school teacher using anything "free" for "hands on" learning activities for a class of at least 30 because I would need at least 60 per project so students could feel free to experiment or make mistakes.  

However, after I retired, they weren't all in one place as a hoard and every time I found a batch I dumped them in a file box until it was full and then they were listed on Hoarder Rehab.

They were listed in bags of 100 and I'm sure there are over 100 ways to use them, but here are the ones I listed on the description:

These come in handy for many different kinds of projects... Let me count the ways!

1. place card holders: plain and simple for a rustic or woodland wedding or dress up with washi tape for any special occasion

2. crafting cork board projects, like , bulletin boards, hot boards, trivets, wreaths, door mats,

3. boater floater key chains

4. As a teacher they were used to teach students many different lessons through the curriculum:

5. carving for simple stamping designs for art, cards, wrapping paper, even younger children can make their own stamps by gluing on paper or wooden die cut shapes to the end of the cork, instead of carving.

6. science lesson on making a simple floating nautical compass or floating toy boat

7. Christmas ornaments of animal figurines, like reindeer, Christmas trees, etc.

8. As a desk planter/ note holder for an air plant - magnet frig planter for Mother's day or Father's day gifts made by students.

9. Let children come up with their own projects! I was always surprised as how creative they are with "just" a bag of corks!

10. Have fun recycling and making practical useful things for fun and/or as learning projects for the family!

Here's another cork idea for a key holder message area from RL Creative Notions:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/165043714/handmade-framed-wood-cork-board-key
 
11.  And now I can add large personalized Initial wall decor!  Thank you Chris!



Saying Goodbye:  I was so happy to see these go!  Especially that one last bag!  I loved seeing the bottom of the empty file box!  And so far, it's still empty! Although I have gone on a slight detour shopping spree, but it's Christmas!  Anyways, that's another story!

What I Learned:  

1.  I think it was easy to become a hoarder as an inner city teacher because "free" resources were about all that I could afford after my accountant told me I was using 1/3 of my paycheck on my class a year.  And with 30 to 33 students per class I would need at least 70 so students could experiment or feel free to make mistakes.

Plus having the propensity to hoard was just more likely reinforced with the lack of abundance during all my years teaching in the hood.

2.  As a hoarder it's difficult to throw out anything and I mean anything!  I like to recycle everything!  We hardly have anything in our trash bin to put out on the street for weekly trash pick up.  It must go out once a month or less.

As a recovering hoarder, it is getting easier to throw out items I can't think of how to recycle, so we do have more trash now, but it is still a battle at times.

I've even considered listing toilet paper rolls because that was another handy teacher supply, but those take even longer to collect for a class of 30, even when having students collect them too, but they make great projects too.  My students loved to make finger puppet characters from stories we read or were reading.  

Cut in half, they also make great desk growing tubes for fast growing seeds, like radish and carrots and later the whole entire thing can be transplanted into the ground and if dirt is too messy for your class, cotton balls work well at the top, so if they fall over some dirt may stay inside it.

Also, the ends could be pinched closed to make a pillow gift box and we'd just glue construction paper or wrapping paper over it first.  Great for wrapping up macaroni necklaces for Mother's day! or any other small gifts for any holiday or occasion.

And lastly we'd make poppers and treat holders out of them for each New Year!  Just use aluminum foil for some simple shine and silver.

For teachers, they make great dividers when cut to size and taped together for pencil, scissor and paint brush holders, sorting crayons, little crown rewards for kings, queens, princes or princess, napkin holders at for our tea parties, my classroom Akro Agate tea party set is available by piece at Hoarder Rehab here, here and here.

Now I use them as filler for the inside of my vases, so shells or rocks will only show on the outside and I don't need as many to fill it up.  Also filler for packaging and lastly, I put the wrapper inside and use it as kindling for the fireplace.

How do you reuse corks and toilet paper rolls and anything else that usually get thrown away?  I'd love to know!

Thank you Chris from Hoarder Rehab for ordering a bag of corks and for sharing with us how you transformed them into a large initial wall hanging memo board and so fashionably too!  Love how you used the red wine ends for color contrast.

Thank you Etsy for bringing many kind creatives to my shops who love to share their ideas through email and photos!

Thank you US, Germany, Canada, China, Saudi Arabia and Singapore for stopping by since yesterday and reading about my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!


Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 108 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will resume new listings in a few days and will continue to relist 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
Related Stories:
1. Japanese Screen Holder Replacement Parts Byobu:  A miracle story really about how the missing piece to this screen holder found it's way to the person who had it's one missing piece!  Most likely something I should have thrown away, since I didn't have all the pieces nor did I have the Japanese fold up screen art for it anymore either!  Read it here

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Mountain Dew in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming Whoo what a ride."  Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment