Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Bauer Pottery Collection: The Destiny of Things, Story #134

My Bauer Pottery Collection:  The Destiny of Things, Story #134

I think I've had this since my college days!  My well loved Bauer like side dish! 

photo via VintageToGoEtsy, more vintage kitchenware available here

My brother and I started collecting Bauer in high school and we'd fight over who got to keep them when we found them thrifting.  We also fought over Vernonware, McCoy and Russel Wright.  In the end, he has mostly a complete set of Russel Wright's Iroquois and I ended up with hoards of all different types of pottery collections!

I'm not sure is this is a Bauer piece, but it looks like one!  I've let go of many of my pieces that look like Bauer but are unmarked.

This bowl went to Magnolia Bakery in NY, so I can kinda imagine the story:



 and this "maybe" highly distressed Bauer creamer went without a story:

photo via VintageToGoEtsy, more vintage kitchenware available here


I also have many Bauer pieces that were from my Grandmother that include two large swirl ribbed planters and two sets of Bauer pyramid nesting bowl sets.  My other thrift set of unmarked questionable nesting Bauer mixing bowls in pink and yellow went to my Aunt, however for some reason she didn't want the black bowl, so I still have it and she didn't want the smallest bowl either, so I have that still too.

Anyways, that's another story!

photo via VintageToGoEtsy, more vintage kitchenware available here


Here's the story I received for this side dish bowl:

Great, versatile bowl. Great color- I'm on a turquoise kick right now, it's the perfect accent color for my mostly taupey/granite kitchen.



This is a beautiful turquoise color and I'm happy to know someone loves it too!  It would go nicely as an accent piece with taupey granite!  I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see it's beauty in it's new home!

And it was a versatile bowl for me too!  I used this bowl for many kitchen tasks!  Here's my Side Kick Story about it from VintageToGoEtsy:

Perfect for serving a side dish of veggies, like brussle sprouts or a serving for one baked sweet potato with lots of butter! Perfect size for rolling crusts onto chicken, little dough balls or candies! So versatile, so vintage!

I have since found my Grandmother's side dish with a curled down rim, not as good as handles, but since it was her from the farm, it's a keeper! The Bauer like one is designed much better, the flared out sides and handles make it a difficult choice to pass on!


photo via VintageToGoEtsy, more vintage kitchenware available here


Saying Goodbye:  At the time, this was easy to let go and I've since used my Grandmother's side dish bowl from the farm, alas, it has since broken into two pieces!  I have kept it without any ideas of what to do with it. 

Glue it back together and use as a decorative bowl?  Break it some more and use it in a mosaic piece?  I have two matching dishes of it too and they are pretty chipped up.

Anyways, I'm using this Gay Fad Fire King piece now:


It's distressed too, but it doesn't have any rough edges and it's listing expired.  Plus it has a lid and is ovenware.  So it all worked out, especially since one of mr oz's favorites is meat loaf.

What I Learned:

1.  In the end, it all works out, however, in this case, it worked out quickly and painlessly.  I'm still working on some things to all work out (it's been years and years) and some of them I've forgotten about for awhile.

2.  Many things from the shops have been going to new homes too quickly the past week or so and in quantities that are too much for me to handle, so I'm on hoard overload!  Especially some items from my childhood and teaching days. 

I'm not sure why the items from my teaching days tugged at my heart til I had seller's remorse and hoard regret, so I think I need more time to process...

3.  I lost count at 10 of getting packages ready to ship yesterday for today and it went way past my bedtime, so I didn't have time to for the Advent Forest photos again!  I guess it really is the busy holiday season already!

4.  I don't do well near the holidays and I'm starting to hoard again!  but that's another story!

What is your healthy, productive, least expensive to free way to get through the holidays during busy times?  Me?  I don't have any, besides retail therapy, so please let me know! 

Thank you Etsy buyer from VintageToGoEtsy for sharing your story and helping me remember mine!

Thank you Etsy for the best Hoarder Rehab outlet I've ever found!  And especially for all the kind and interesting people I get to meet along my journey!

Thank you US, UK, China, Canada, France and many other countries I may have missed in my during my busy hectic days!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 106 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-2 new thing there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!  Hope you find something you love to take home with you!

I have a lot plate sets!  Five sets have been found so far!  Still available are Roselle Mid Winter, by Staffordshire England, designed by Marquis of Queensberry and Blue Azurite Charm by Anchor Hocking, Fire King, Carnation Sterling China by Russel Wright.  Gone are Vernon Kiln's Plaid Mix by Gale Turnbull, and Sigma the Tastesetter by Doug Wilson.

If you like Bauer ringware, you might like this medium sized planter that looks like Bauer, but it's really McCoy, I have one in sea foam green here.

Looks like Bauer, but it's not... it's McCoy, available here!

Related Stories:

1.  The last of my Vernonware went to a collector who turned his collection into the Museum of California Design!  Read the story here.

2.  My blog post to the Autry Museum curated by the founder of the Museum of California Design:  The Autry National Center, California Designing Women, Bill Stern:  Hoarder Inspiration or Desperation, Story 4

Some Stories of my started kitchen collections:

1.  Room Service plate and egg cups by Doug Wilson of Sigma the Tastesetter, here

2.  My love of square dishware of Sebring Pottery, here

Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment