Monday, December 23, 2013

Religious Hobnail Votive Candle Holder: The Destiny of Things, Story #142

Religious Hobnail Votive Candle Holder:  The Destiny of Things, Story #142

Sometimes my hoard finds it's way as an exact missing piece replacement!

photo via The Destiny of Things, green and amber votive holders, available here


I'm not sure what the exact name for these are, but I've been trying to collect them since the 80s for my Day of the Dead shrines, but they are not easy to find.  I've heard them called any number and combinations of the following:  hobnail, votive, 1000 eyes, tea light candle holders.

I got lucky and found some sets of 4 in white, green and light blue.  The white set have sold, here.  The light green set of 4 is available here and the light blue are still lost in the hoard.

Anyways, on to the best part of this story!  Roger who owns an Etsy shop, rogersden sent me an email asking if I'd just sell the red votive candle holder and ship to Canada.  I could tell he was very happy and excited to find this candle holder so I asked him why.....

and it's because it fit in his religious alter shrine perfectly!  and he even sent a "before" photo:


Every time one of my pieces finds it's way as the perfect missing piece for someone it boggles my mind to no end as to how the two come together and meet!  And this isn't the first time it's happened, it's happened more times than I can remember, perhaps 10 -11+ times, some more astonishing than others, but just as sentimental and amazing to me.

 photo via Roger of rogersden

So off the red votive holder went to it's new life as the last piece for a religious shrine with it's new home in Canada with Roger!
 


 photo via The Destiny of Things, green and amber votive holders, available here

The closest I got to collecting these was once on ebay back in the 80s when I saw a 101 church votive candle stand like this one, but in red, but I passed it up due to lack of space!


photo via The Times Picayanne and were found in a trash heap after Hurricane Katrina and salvaged, rest of the story here

I guess back then, I was a hoarder with some common sense to stop buying once I ran out of space, however I did have quite an extensive collection of Mexican Folk Art that streamed into Day of the Dead Folk Art into Religious Folk Art int religious medals and moveable charms.

I didn't think I was a hoarder back then and I remember that house too.  Now that I look back, there were several hoarded rooms, two very packed and one that could not be entered.  A full garage with an added on make shift storage room where I lost much of my paper hoard and childhood hoard to little critters!

Things I can remember being destroyed or made into winter nests for critter families:  my childhood felt Christmas stocking made by my Mom.  It was a tradition to give it to my Dad at Thanksgiving and he'd fill it up and return it on Christmas day.  

Christmas ornaments made through childhood as a family.  Art and cards made in childhood.

All of my Black Sparrow Press books by Charles Bukowski and John Fante and my coffee table books from them.  I'm a big fan of picture books!

A metal medicine cabinet that opened up into a beveled glass floral three way mirror, it just never smelled the same again.

Most of my college books, notebooks, yes, I saved many of my notes from college classes and letters and postcards many saved from childhood.  Luckily no photos were damaged.

 photo via Roger of rogersden


Saying Goodbye:  I was happy to see this go to complete Roger's shrine!  Also, I was even happier to hear how happy Roger was when he received it and sent this photo!

What I Learned:

1.  I'm not sure why some of my items can leave so happily and others do not.  As a matter of fact, it seems I've slowly come to a road block.  At first I deactivated many items that I knew would bother me if they were to leave during the winter holidays and then someone from Hoarder Rehab wanted to buy all my Russel Wright Carnation Sterling China plates with a discount and it came with a story and I just unraveled into a limp over cooked noodle of indecision.... all mush all over the place.

Anyone who asks for a discount, sends a story with pictures usually leaves as happy as I do, but not this time.  Now I'll have to change that sentence to "almost" anyone because I'm in a different situation.

It brought me to a standstill and for the past two or three days all I did was procrastinate on everything!  which eventually led me to put all my shops on vacation mode so I could regroup and ponder.

2.  I feel as though my progress as a recovering hoarder has gone askew and backwards.  I wasn't like this last year, although I did have a different melt down of some sorts last year,  however this year's set back has brought me something valuable, like insight into some of my old habits that I haven't experienced in quite some time.

Complete crippling of indecision and how it brings on an  episode of  guilt filled procrastination.  No amount of rational bargaining with myself let me find peace with letting the Russel Wright pieces go, not even a shopping spree with all of it's proceeds!

I find it very strange and leads me to the brink of some dismay that a hoarded item can bring me crashing down without notice, cause or reason!

3.  All in all, what am I do to with all this new information about myself as a recovering hoarder?  except to enjoy the holidays! and put the rest on my list of 2014 New Year's Resolutions!

How are you doing as the final days crescendo into biggest holiday of the year?  I'm riding the waves as best possible with so much to be thankfulness!

Thank you Roger, Etsy shop owner of rogersden for letting me use your story and photos to bring me closer to my Hoarder Rehab destination.  Visit his shop by clicking on the highlighted links.  I'm not a big Barbie fan, but this huge lot of new Barbie dolls and clothes looks tempting me to me, check it out here

Thank you Etsy for for helping me make connections not just with my hoard items finding their perfect match to complete something for someone else, but with other interesting people!

Thank you US, Germany, France, Italy, Romania, Austria, China, Indonesia and Ukraine for your visits today or over the weekend and being part in my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!

All shops are on vacation mode until December 26, if there is something you need from : HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEtsy and JunkDrawerLoveEtsy
please email us at hoarderrehab@gmail.com 

We will return and resume new listings after the Christmas holidays on December 26 or 27!  Thank you!

Related Stories:  People I've been fortunate enough to meet because they found exactly what had been lost, stolen or broken at one of my Etsy shops!

The first 3 stories totally amaze me because I think finding their "exact" replacements would be highly less likely possible.

1.  This Etsy buyer lost a rare ring and I had two of them!  She bought the last one!  I've never seen one like it again and call it the Continuous Virgin Mary Ring, read this amazing story of how she refound it, here

2.  Etsy buyer, Jennifer spent hours looking for the "exact" oink pig glass that her husband had for decades and by the time she gave up finding it, found it with me!  Read about it here

3.   I had all the pieces except for one for this Japanese screen wall holder, byobu and someone else had the one piece I was missing to complete the set!  Read about the byobu here
  
4.  Actually my first story is from an Etsy buyer who had this cherry red Waechtersbach Plate, You Are Special Today plate for over 30 years and her grand daughter loved it, when it broke, she replaced it with mine!  Read it here!

5.  Some children over wound a rotating Happy Birthday musical cake display stand by Heller Hostess wareand found the "exact" replacement, see photos and read about it here

6.  Little Blue Cocktail Mermaid:  An Etsy buyer had hers for over 50 years and when it's arm broke wanted one whole to keep the one with the broken arm company, read it here  

7.  Twin Native American bracelets I wore and later an Etsy buyer had too until it was stolen, read here

8.  A sad story with a happy ending and a stolen Saint Christopher medal replaced with a new life and new beginning for both of them comes full circle here

9.  An endearing story of a daughter in law replacing a broken lid for her mother in law for their traditional Christmas gathering, I love this story because my own Grandmother would have taped a lid back together too! Read here!

There are a several more, like Freddy the Frog, Mr Happy and Duet Piano Book and more! 

"Nothing is impossible.  Some things are just less likely than others."  --- Jonathan Winters
Nothing is impossible. Some things are just less likely than others.
Jonathan Winters
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/nothing_is_impossible.html#0xBJ4x3dWQpV

No comments:

Post a Comment