Monday, December 2, 2013

UPDATE on A Little Girl and her Miracle Fish: The Destiny of Things, Story #112, Part 2

UPDATE on A Little Girl and her Miracle Fish:  The Destiny of Things, Story #112, Part 2

Someone has their very own Miracle Fish now!

 photo via The Destiny of Things, Miracle Fortune Fish available here


Here is the email I received about the big news!
Hi K,

The fish was a big hit with Sophia! Yep, now she has her very own at home, and when she comes over, she has one to play with. It's like having your cake & ice-cream all at the same time, woohoo!

I will not be diving on this trip, but I will be visiting family in Italy that I haven't seen in almost forty years!

Your blog looks great,Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
John

  photo via The Destiny of Things, Miracle Fortune Fish available here

I am so happy to hear that a little one some where out there loves her Miracle Fish and now has her very own!  Especially after the original one was lost and was well missed and now replaced.  Nothing like a happy ending!

And a happy ending with having your cake and eating it too or having your ice cream and cake or something like that.  Let's see...

It's "you can't eat your cake and have it too" "or you can't eat your cake and keep it too" an old proverb meaning "you can't have it both ways" or "you can't have the best of both worlds."  The literal proverb being you can't "possess" your cake and eat it.  That's a whole lot of "cant's."

Well, I suppose one can have your cake and eat it too, it just becomes part of you.  Onwards and upwards....

I love having my cake and eating it too!  I love having things in more than one place too!  It's probably attributed to my hoard gathering greatly!  For example, I keep a pencil holder in each room with pencils, pens, scissors, ruler and calculator in it for instant use.  And each one used to sit on top of a dictionary!

When I was a teacher I'd keep TWO Teacher Editions of the current Math, Reading,Writing and other curriculum resource books at home and at school because they all weigh a ton to be dragging back and forth daily!

I also used to keep little kits around the house and in the car, for instance essentials I would need for special tasks, like a landlord kit, emergency first aid kits, even a teacher kit because our school would get vandalized every weekend and if you were in the bungalow classrooms it was almost guaranteed.

That is how I ended up with multiple items of many teacher office supplies and usually I kept them in lunch boxes!  I've only found one or two so far, however I am beginning to wonder how many I have now.  And off the top of my head can think of five of them.

photo via The Destiny of Things, Miracle Fortune Fish available here


Saying Goodbye:  Almost everyone I know loves these!  And I've never met a student who wasn't interested in one or how they work.  If they don't care about what their fortunes mean, they still love that the fish moves and moves differently for each person.

I've used these as Science and Writing Lessons.  The magic or science of how the fish works and why it works differently for every person.  As a writing lesson, I've basically used it as a synonym - antonym lesson on writing your own Miracle Fish fortunes.

The Basics:

1.  Brainstorm as a class with the focus being synonyms and antonyms from the original fortune list.
2.  Make a list with your own fortunes or predictions as a pre-write
3.  Choosing your favorites, writing them more neatly, etc and taking it home for homework to try at home on family
4.  Final draft:  choose your best one and write them on a large sticker that covers the fortune predictions on the container and try it with your friends at recess.  Get more ideas and add some more!

I keep some in my purse because I never know when it might come in handy to cheer someone up, keep a little one entertained, help a homeless person with a dollar inside or leave with a tip.

I also use them as part of my "thank you" package as a little "extra" thank you from any thing ordered from our four Etsy shops. Every order that has been shipped out has gotten one, since perhaps Hoarder Rehab was opened. 

It has special meaning to me and it's omiyage tradition I picked up from Japan.  (In Japan, every store I bought from gave me an extra special "thank you" wrapped up like a gift!)  Here is an example of one of my gift packages that comes with a thank you letter from me:

 photo via VintageToGoEtsy, available here or order anything from any of our four shops and it becomes a free gift with your order!

What I Learned:

1.  Many of things I do to keep my life organized and easier, like keeping a pencil holder in every room might be part of my hoard?

2.  I love little kits for "this and that" and that might be too?  especially if I can't find them in the hoard!

3.  My Advent Forest is complete with photos, but since I slept through most of Thanksgiving weekend catching up on years of insomnia and totally slept in this morning until 7:30 am.  I forgot all about it. so I'll post it tomorrow.

4.  I'll probably be posting a blog story a day again, so I can start fresh with a clean slate for the New Year.

How do you stay organized?  Please leave a comment or send an email and let me know!

Thank you John Garloff (read his inspiring profile here) of OhmHomeLighting for sending your story and update email!  Many thanks!

Check out his shop, OhmHomelighting by clicking on the highlighted link, he uses art as a healing journey with a sense of purpose and a catalyst of great things to come!  Right up my alley!  His art ranges from Modern hand blown lighting to forged jewelry in assorted metals- handmade and beautiful!

Some of my many favorites are the simple yet beautiful copper and cobalt blue table lamp, here.  This square hand forged stainless steel bracelet, here and his vibrant blue hued bracelet here.  Simple, yet stunning! Thank you John!

Thank you Etsy for another kind interaction with someone who can relate to a healing journey and sending a story that helps mine! 

Thank you US, China, Germany, Russia, Denmark, Switzerland, India, Australia, Brazil, Hungary, Indonesia, UK and Serbia for your visits and sharing my  HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things !

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 101 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!

Related Story:



Other Replacement Stories:

1.  Twin of "Something Blue" for You:  bracelet from a childhood trip

2.  Continuous Miraculous Mary Ring:   a  lost ring I've never seen before or later - replaced!

3.  Waechtersbach Red "You Are Special" Plate: heart felt replacement for an 8 year old and my first story

4. "Happy Birthday" Hostess Hellerware Pastry Stand:  for a Godmother and my second story

5.  Pig "Oink" Glass:  surprise replacement gift from Santa

6.  US Puzzle Maps:  old school puzzles for granchildren, just like grandma had!

7.  Freddie the Frog Puppet:  heartfelt childhood replacement many times over

8.  Must de Cartier Perfume:  Discontinued scent and formula replacement for a traveling couple

9.  Large Refrigerator Dish:  2nd generation holiday dish replaced by third generation daughter in law

Visit again tomorrow for my completed Advent Forest!  Thank you all for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment