Friday, September 13, 2013

A Little Girl and her Miracle Fish: The Destiny of Things, Story #112

A Little Girl and her Miracle Fish:  The Destiny of Things, Story #112

One of the cutest stories I've received from an Etsy shop owner too! 


In another posting about these, I've written about how I've loved these since I was a child and remember playing in the car with them on long drives with the windows rolled down hunched over trying to protect it from the wind and not let it blow away and see what the fish would do to tell my fortune!

Some other kid loves this too!  Here's the story from John Garloff of OhmHomeLighting
:




Hi K,

Thanks for all the goodies, it made for loads of fun! As for the story, we have a little visitor that comes once a week, she's three years old. I had one of those fortune telling fish, not as nice as the ones I received from you, but it wound up missing. Sophia, the little girl, was enjoying the fish until it vanished.

So that's that, but no, there's your shop, and with a listing of ten magical little fortune telling fish. So now I wait patently for the next visit, eager to show off the fish. I'll most likely gift her one to take home and keep two, the others will be gifts as well.

Thanks K, for the note! And no, I don't mind you mentioning my name in your blog of stories. Keep up the good work, and remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. It's an inside job!
You take care!

Cheers,
John

P.S. I did some diving in your area once and had my first encounter with a baby great white shark, it scared the daylights out of me! Oh well. See you around Etsy.



I am so happy to get this story!!!!! I need to do a follow up after I post this and see how Sophia loved her very own little magical fortune fish!

And hey John, if you are ever back in the Los Angeles area again and want a more safe venue to encounter sharks, specifically the Long Beach Aquarium, they have a shark lagoon with three outdoor touch pools where you can touch the more harmless ones!

The one below is the type I touched during my last visit!


Saying Goodbye:  So many people I know enjoy these as much as I do and of course, I keep one stashed in my purse to give to someone I meet that needs a little pick me up and their fortune told adult or child! Sometimes I leave it with my tip and always send them in letters.  If you would like to order some they are here at The Destiny of Things.

So far as I know, they've been used for party favors for a spy/secret agent themed birthday party, put into  surprise balls, and I give one to everyone who orders something from me as part of a "thank you" package and to remind myself that as more of my hoard leaves and once I break these chains and it's gone.... I'll step into a life of the "unknown!"  and I wonder what my fortune will be without hoard weighing me down!

What I Learned:  

1.  I am so happy that there are children out there still enjoying this little retro miracle fish!  I think I may pass them out this Halloween and see what happens.

2.  I have used these several times as a fun silly lesson for the classroom Valentine's Party.  This is a classic novelty that makes a little cellophane "fish" the "fortune telling mind reader." Kids love the "mind reader" part and it's a good lesson on demystifying the magic of what makes it move! Great science lesson or educational moment with vocabulary!


With my third graders, as a final draft, I've given large blank address stickers to my students and had them make up their own fortunes to go with the fish movements!  They can stick it over the original fortunes and even take it home to share as homework, it's a great lesson for building and reinforcing vocabulary and especially good for English as Second Language Learners.  And also a great demystifying science lesson!

3.  I hope whether you are in the classroom or not, adult or child, you get a kick out of these too!

What will the Miracle Fortune Fish tell you today?  Mine moved it's head and tail and then the head half of the body twisted over and that was it!  Hmmm....  If you would like to see what your Miracle Fortune Fish will tell you order some here at The Destiny of Things.  Just click on the highlighted link!

Thank you John Garloff (read his inspring profile here) of OhmHomeLighting for sending your story and just like you, eager to know how it went with Sophia as she received her very own miracle fish!

Check out his shop, OhmHomelighting by clicking on the highlighted link, he uses art as a healing journey with a sense of purpose and a catalyst of great things to come!  Right up my alley!  His art ranges from Modern hand blown lighting to forged jewelry in assorted metals- handmade and beautiful!  Thank you John!

Thank you Etsy for another kind interaction with someone who can relate to a healing journey and send such a cute story!  Also, for helping The Destiny of Things hit a milestone of 100 sales yesterday and finding new homes and lives for almost 400 items of my hoard through each Etsy shop!

Thank you US, China, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, South Korea, Sweden, Russia, Canada, UK, Ireland and Saudi Arabia for your visits and sharing my  HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things !

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 46 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!

UPDATE on A Little Girl and her Miracle Fish:  The Destiny of Things, Story #112, Part 2

Related Stories:

1.  Miracle Fortune Fish in Surprise Balls:  Also, some history on the surprise balls!

2.  Fortune Teller Miracle Fish:  as a party favor for a spy secret agent themed party and my first story about these!

Most Read Story of the WeekMy Organic Toothbrush Stick called Miswak  I'm still using the same stick twig after 8 months and still loving it!

Most Read Story of the Month and All Time Most ReadMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment