Wednesday, September 18, 2013

1847 Roger Bros Silverware - Eternally Yours Pattern: The Destiny of Things, Story #113

1847 Roger Bros Silverware - Eternally Yours Pattern:  The Destiny of Things, Story #113

A story that mirrors mine, but not so related to dehoarding!


It was love at first sight with this "Eternally Yours" silverware pattern and during one of my hoard sprees, I bought it exactly for the reason this buyer bought some of mine!

The spoons are available here at The Destiny of Things, Etsy shop

Here's the story via email from The Destiny of Things Etsy shop:

hi kennedy-

thank you for the order and the sweet little gifts - although the fortune telling fish said that i was fickle, false and something else completely unflattering lol!

my story is rather unglamorous: while snooping around goodwill looking for a table for my college age son's apartment i came across an almost complete set of the eternally yours pattern, along with probably another 30-40 stainless spoons and forks thrown in. the silver chest was dusty and dirty with a broken hinge and the silver probably hadn't been polished in 30-40 years!

my job as a little girl was always to polish the silver - which i hated - but i have an appreciation for nice things. i got married as a grown up and didn't have a huge white wedding where i registered for all of these nice things. i also never had the money to buy them myself. i love antiques and when i got divorced i furnished my new home with incredible garage sale finds. my new mother in law introduced me to the joys of a thrift store - that's why i was in goodwill. the tarnished silver in it's old chest with all of the extra stainless was for sale for $19.95. i talked my husband into buying it and we brought it home where i spent the next two hours polishing it up. it looks terrific! i cleaned up the chest and my husband fixed the hinge. my son didn't get a table but he got some much needed forks and spoons. to complete the set we needed two serving spoons (found on ebay), a teaspoon and a salad fork (from you) and we still need a knife. the original paperwork is in the chest and the original price for the 52 piece service for 8 was $64.75! so far it has cost us almost $50 but the best news of all is now i have a nice silver-plate set for holidays and the occasional dinner party.

good luck with your shops and your story project. if you happen to have an eternally yours dinner knife please let me know!

thanks again.

leise


The forks are available here at The Destiny of Things

Hi Leise!

Thank you so much for the email and especially for your story! It brought tears to my eyes and gave me goosebumps! The joyous kinds!

Our stories are similar and I had bought what I have because I too couldn't afford or never had silver or a registry for any of my weddings and my bf and I agreed that the "Eternally Yours" pattern would be perfect for us!

However, now I'm allergic to most metals, so I am so ecstatic that it's been passed on to you and your family!

I hope you will give me permission to use your email "as is" for my blog or I will change anything you'd like and/or leave you anonymous.

PS. I too had to polish the silver, but I liked it for the first hour and that was it! Remember the ooey gooey polish paste? Thank heavens for polishing cloths or cleaning with aluminum and baking soda!

I will keep an eye out for an Eternally Yours knife for you!

Many thanks for being such a big part of my HoarderRehab via The Destiny of Things!

Kind regards,
~Kennedy at
www.etsy.com/shop/HoarderRehab
www.etsy.com/shop/thedestinyofthings
www.etsy.com/shop/vintagetogoetsy
www.etsy.com/pt/shop/JunkDrawerLoveEtsy

Read 100+ stories from Etsy buyers who help me stay focused on my HoarderRehab!

hoarderrehab.blogspot.com/



Saying Goodbye:  Thank Heaven! I only managed to buy 8 spoons and 6 forks before I figured out I was allergic to most metals, but especially silver and pot metals!

It was so surprising to get a story that mirrored mine.  What are the odds of the same thing happening?  Where someone else buys silverware as a traditional "love" gesture after settling down? And then receiving an email about it!  It as almost as if I got an email from myself! 

What I Learned:

1.  A bit of history about the silverware:  one Roger brother started the company in 1820 and two other joined him later.  The date, 1847 Roger Bros. is when the company started trademarking their wares due to perfecting electroplating process.  In 1862, the Roger Bros joined Meridan Brittania Company and in the late 1800s went over seas as International Silver, hence the IS on the Eternally Yours - 1847 Roger Bros. forks and spoons.  Eternally Yours was one of the most popular patterns of it's time period, the 1940s.

2.  I am so happy that there's a non hoarder out there who thinks like me from buying traditional heirloom items for love later in life to just loving an old fashioned bargain!  Just imagine finding a whole 8 piece set for less than the price from the 1940s!  What a score!  Where's the jealous button?

3.  I am happy to say that my metal allergies have subsided, but I still can not wear any type of metal jewelry.  However, I don't have to put plastic bags over faucet knobs, doorknobs, keys, etc. and can eat from stainless steel utensils again, instead of plastic.

4.  I suppose everyone has something they want in their Hope Chest and had I seen Eternally Yours silverware, I might have changed my mind about having one!

What did you want inside your Hope Chest?  Even though my mom kept trying to give me hers, surprisingly I didn't want a Hope chest, but I can remember her showing me things from it.

Thank you Leise for sending me your story!   It's so nice for me to know I have so much in common with a non hoarder!  I am so happy too that even though your adventure started with looking for a table for your son in college that in the end you still found him some forks and spoons and you got your holiday silverware!

Thank you Etsy for connecting me with a non hoarder with a similar love story about fork and spoons!

Thank you US, China, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, UK, Brazil, Egypt and Italy for your support as I journey through my HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 52 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!

Still available, the 1847 Roger Bros. Eternally Yours pattern forks here and spoons here. Thank you!

Related Stories:  The Destiny of Things as symbols of LOVE!

1.  Coincidental Wedding Anniversary Stories of Copper Sacred Heart Tins, click here for the story!

2.  A Trinket Box turned into Wedding Ring Box, click here to read the story!

3.  Wedding Jars, for a candy bar, instead of an alcohol bar.

4.  Fun Love Dice Anniversary gift and update here!

Most Read Story of the WeekMy Organic Toothbrush Stick called Miswak  I'm still using the same stick twig after 8 months and still loving it!  My Miswak Toothbrush Update, three months later.

Most Read Story of the Month and All Time Most ReadMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment