Friday, September 20, 2013

Arts and Crafts Mission Style Beehive Vase: The Destiny of Things, Story #114

Arts and Crafts Mission Style Beehive Vase:  The Destiny of Things, Story #114

A story that brought me an epiphany as well!


Here's the email I received:

Hello....I'm on disability and I sift thru tens of thousands of vases and pick the rarest if I know the maker and I have others where I will research thru my books ( I have a HUGE library of collectable books for research purposes)...I am a collector with the intention of selling my vases when I'm in my late sixties or so as a fun thing to do during retirement, and for the extra money of course. I do display some at times as I have probably 300 or so.

I would not classify myself as a hoarder but do have other collectables other than pottery...like rare calendars, toys, mags, and unique antiques...I am very picky when I buy, very...It has to have an appeal that will lead to a future sale like I noted above...being on disability it gives me something to do and keeps my mind off of my painful disease.

Please go ahead and reserve this great vase. Thanks.


PS: I may add to the blog at a later date...I'm very private...If you post anything, please do so anonymously. Have a good day.


Here's what I wrote back:

Hi again!

I am so happy to meet a collector that finds value in my beehive vase and that it indirectly helps with your disability and even future!

And I think you have helped me find the difference between myself as a recovering hoarder and you, as a collector, which I will write about on my blog and of course, keep you anonymous. Ironically, I am a very private person too and enjoy my solitude, which is an interesting combination on etsy as seller vs as a buyer, but it's been a losing battle with my hoard and so far the blog has been my best remedy. So thank you for being part of my solution in more ways than one!

I would love to see pictures of all your collections, especially, the rare calendars, vases, toys and unique antiques, but understand your privacy, but hopefully I'll be able to see it in the future when you either display it or sell it, so please please, remember me for your future emailing list. And I do hope you will add to my blog story at a later date. I do love UPDATES! Seeing my item in it's new home with it's new life is one of the ultimate "dehoarding" rewards for me!

I do hope your illness improves and you eventually recover and enjoy good health. One of the reasons I am dehoarding is to improve my health, so we are kinda doing the opposite which I find very fascinating! Thank you for helping me see another view point!

Your - my- our "great" vase has been reserved for you and many thanks for helping me with my HoarderRehab via VintageToGoEtsy!

Kind regards,
~Kennedy


Saying Goodbye:  This was my favorite vase for displaying my ruler collection!  However, I'm glad it's gone to a good home with a new life with 300 other collectible vases!  And it's helping someone forget their painful health issues and in turn helping mine by making more room for my alternatives to hoarding!

What I Learned:

1.  I may or may not have 300 of one collection, but I most likely have 300 different collections or both! See my ever growing list of collections here, titled, "The First Sign that I Was a Hoarder."

2.  I think I've finally had the time to think about myself as a collector and as a hoarder with the difference being I do not display my collections anymore, mostly due to dust allergies, the lack of space and the time it takes to care for them.

As my hoard grew I decided I would display my collections by seasons, but mostly boxed them up and forgot about them.  I would still like to display what I've decided to keep, which is mostly handmade items and change them by color as the seasons change too.  I hope to limit it to one file box per season.

The reason I think I need to change my collections by season is because I do love to arrange things and because it will provide a change of scenery without involving shopping to do so.

What is your favorite collection? and how do you display them?  Right now, I'm still challenged with sorting and organizing, but I hope to find and keep "only" my favorite family heirlooms and handmade items.

Thank you Etsy buyer for letting me use your story, even though you are a private person too.  It's a relief to know my - your - our vase is in good company with you.  I am so happy the vase helps you now and will also do so in the future!

Thank you Etsy for bringing such and interesting connection and helping with my HoarderRehab by helping me distinguish between my collections vs my hoard.

Thank you US, France, Netherlands, Austria, UK, Hungary and Ukraine for you visits and joining me in 
my HoarderRehab and  The Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily at HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 54 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!

The rest of my vase and planter collection is here at VintageToGoEtsy. Thank you!

Related Stories:  Other stories about my vase and planter collections

1.  Anchor Hocking Spittoon Vases:  I also used them as pencil and incense holders!

2,  Joan Walsh Anglund Planters:  I had them since childhood!

3.  Windowsill Planter:  for sprouting seeds for salad!  Which I did too but thought I needed 6 of them!

4.  Many vases and planters I used as incense burners, that story is here.  This was a popular post in the beginning days of my blog.

Most Read Story of the Week, Month and All TimeMy Louis Vuitton Collection: the end of my collection is the beginning for someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment