Thursday, July 18, 2013

Anchor Hocking Spittoon Planter Vase: The Destiny of Things, Story XLCIX

Anchor Hocking Spittoon Planter Vase:  The Destiny of Things, Story XLCIX

I find these very handy and as a recovering hoarder have -had many of these!


At one point, I saw them all over the place and decided to collect them in all colors.  I've had them in red, green and pink, I have two yellows and a clear one still available, yellow here and clear here.

I've used these spittopns as vases, planters, and incense holders (read about them as incense burners, here), but mainly as a desk organizer for pencils, pens, markers, rulers, even a calculator!  I used to have one in every room so any of those tools would be in quick and easy reach!

However, I've never used it as a spittoon!  Although it does sound awfully fun to try it while eating watermelon in the house on a hot day!  They are ergonomic to hold and have a wide mouth to spit the seeds in!


An Etsy buyer was kind enough to email her story, so here it is:

Hello. I just placed my order. I plan to use it as a planter for a new succulent I just received as a gift.  I do collect Fire King, but mostly the turquoise items. If you have or ever find any great turquoise items, let me know!

Best,
Etsysian

No wonder this person asked to split up the blue and the yellow planters I had together.  I am so happy that someone is honoring their new succulent gift with my Fire King style Anchor Hocking spittoon vase planter desk organizer.  I don't know what to call it.

I had started a Fire King collection also.  My daily ware plates are the Azurite Charm blue square ones that I have in all three sizes.  As a recovering hoarder, I have strarted way too many dish plate collections! 

For anyone else who also collects Fire King, I have the a half a dozen cups and saucers of Azurite Charm in blue available here at VintageToGoEtsy in the vintage kitchen shop section.


Saying Good-bye:  This was easy to let go, but maybe it's because it's the first one of four!  I really do find these handy and many years ago used the pink one as a planter with a pot of white Gerber daisies in it as baby gift and the red one as a floral arrangement for a Christmas dinner.

They really hold a lot as a desk organizer too and look and work perfectly as a stick incense burner, but I'm losing focus for some reason.

What I Learned:

1.  It's much easier for me to let go as long as I have a surplus, but as soon as that surplus dwindles down to my last ones, I start to feel more and more agitated until the last one is gone, even when they get better lives and useful homes! 

For example, lately, I'm feeling the troubled nervousness of letting go of my last two handful of religious medals, which is quite inane since I can't touch most of them without my eyes starting to water and feeling itchy and then not well.

I'm also feeling this as the last Day of the Dead and/or Religious Mexican Folk Art are being listed and finding their way to new lives.  So only time will tell, when I let go of my last spittoon!

2.  I think it's partly due to my insomnia.  For me, weeks of lack of sleep just takes it's toll on everything and makes little things a whole lot larger, new routines more dramatic and less tolerable and the new habits I've gained seem to lose their strength and I want to return to my most comfiest old life! 

What to do?

3.  Just keep asking myself if this action or thought is bringing me closer or further away from my goals and dreams!

Thank you Etsysian from VintageToGoEtsy for leaving me the email, so I could post this and stay focused on my HoarderRehab!  Thank you for finding it a home within a home!  I hope you are enjoying it in your home and your new succulent is happy in it's new home too!

Thank you Etsy for continuing to be one of my biggest HoarderRehab supporters!

Thank you readers from US, Russia, United Kingdom, China, Sweden and Poland for your visits since yesterday!  It truely keeps me motivated and even helps my writing skills!  Feel free to visit my hoard by clicking on any or all of the Etsy shop listed:  VintageToGoEtsy, HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!

See my "out of control" dish plate collections by clicking on the the pattern names:  MidWinter Roselle, Russel Wright, Blue Azurite Charm, Room Service by Trendsetter, Vernonware, and several misc. diner cafe restuarant ware!

My planter and vase collection, includes more anchor hocking, McCoy and milk glass in the vtg vase and planter shop section at VintageToGoEtsy, here.

Related Stories:  My pieces that went to other collectors:

1.  Someone who turned their dish collection into a museum!  Click here.

2.  Hand Mixer went to a cozy 50s kitchen, here

3.  My Sebring Ivory Square tea cup and saucer is the beginning for a new collector, here

4.  These snack plate tea set went to a "clarity" themed home, read about it here

5.  A three spout cup measure collector here

6.  My favorite of all cafe diner restuarant ware, Room Service by Trendsetter, here

No comments:

Post a Comment