Wednesday, July 10, 2013

From Ordinary to Extraordinary My Round Wooden Box: The Destiny of Things, Story XCVI

From Ordinary to Extraordinary My Round Wooden Box:  The Destiny of Things, Story XCVI

I love it when one of my hoarded items changes into something extra special!

I've had this box forever and never even used it.  It was empty when I refound it in my hoard, the last in a tall stack of rounded boxes.  Found them all stacked up in another box.  Just hoarded away, taking up room without use, but not anymore!

I received this email about it:

Hello! I purchased a little decorative box from you and I wanted to email you back on what I am doing with it. I am using the box to hold my boyfriends engagement ring in it for when I give it to him after he proposes to me.


How sweet is that?  My ordinary little hoarded box is going to hold some BIG extraordinary memories for two people for the rest of their lives!  Is my hoard turning into a good thing?  I think so!

However, the need to hoard again is growing steadily now that so many things have gone, as of today, 319 items and my house is beginning to have it's Minimalist look and I'm thinking of new art projects I'd like to do.  How do I fight the feeling to hoard again?  

How much time will it take for me to get used to seeing such open space without wanting to fill it up?


Saying Good-bye:  I'm starting to wonder if my attachment to certain items coincides with my health and stress levels of the moment.  I haven't seen this box in decades and it was easy to let go, but other items I haven't seen in decades are much more difficult.

My ill health has returned with insomnia and my hoarding moods seem to be on a roller coaster.  I see many art projects I want to try and many items I've listed seem to have art project potential now!  

About the only thing I can do is stay focused on my original dream of a Minimalist organic home with a music art room, rather than unused hoarded storage.  And I keep asking myself over and over, is this action or thought bringing me closer to my dream or further away?

What I Learned:

1.  I need to focus on my health and stress levels to keep everything else balanced, like dehoarding rather than hoarding, otherwise I seem to move backwards rather than forwards.

2.  Don't buy stuff with insomnia, which is very difficult because other stress related habits seem to pop back and then I use "buying" as rewards to quit them again.  I've tried other substitutes, but they don't work as well or at all.  It also seems a whole lot easier for me to rationalize buying more stuff with insomnia.  I guess it's easier to give in rather than not because my feelings seem to enlarge over things.

3.  I have started to set dollar limits on some items I want to buy on Ebay and have been losing auctions over and over again.  Losing seems to help me practice with my feelings of regret and loss, which sometimes seem bigger than life depending on my insomnia and health issues. 

I noticed they are horrifyingly less devastating and then diminish as a I lose each auction over and over.  I still tweek for about five minutes when I lose an auction now, but I know I'll survive another day and not think about it all day long!  Before I used to reminiscence over and over about how much I should I have bid, what to do on the next one and so on and so on.

I know some of these feelings aren't rational, but that doesn't really seem to help me because they are still there, even if I tell myself they shouldn't be there or be "that" strong.  If I start to rationalize it becomes an even more tangled mess because in the first place, it's "JUST" a thing, so I feel as though it becomes even more unacceptable.

It's really best for me, as a recovering hoarder to "go with the flow" and accept my feelings and move on as best I can until the feelings diminish and finally just disappear or I get well and sleep for a week!

Thank you K for leaving an email letting me know how special the box is going to be now. Congratulations and Best Wishes!  May you both live happily ever after!

Thank you Etsy for another incredible connection that lead to a story that helps me stay focused on my HoarderRehab!

Thank you US, Russia, France, Germany, Canada, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, Philippines, Australia, Bangladesh and Brunei for your visits this week as my HoarderRehab world turns and The Destiny of Things find their way home.

Check out my newly listed hoard at any or all of my three Etsy shops by clicking on their shop names:  VintageToGoEtsy, HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things.  Thank you for your support!

Related Stories:

1.  Another trinket box turned ring box for a wedding, click here!

2.  Another unique wedding ideaApothercary Jars for a Wedding Candy Bar

3.  Unique wedding gift from the office girls:  Supersized Pyrex Refrigerator Dish Set

4.  Seven Year Anniversary Gifts:  Copper Sacred Heart Nichos

5.   My first box story and my love for boxes:  Dispersing My Box Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment