Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Destiny of Things: Supersized Pyrex Refrigerator Dish Set, Story VI

The Destiny of Things:  Supersized Pyrex Refrigerator Dish Set, Story VI

Wondering where I've been?  Me too!  I discovered the ever changing etsy circles and have been lost and consumed by them.  Still trying to figure how to use it beneficially.  Definitely good and bad for my declining hoarder ways, but that's a different story.

Another hoarded collection!  Refrigerator Dishes! My Supersized Pyrex Set!
I actually thought this was the whole entire set of Pyrex and it took me years of thrifting to collect all 14 pieces!  I also had other various styles of 18 or so of these refrigerator food storage dish sets started!  I thought I'd use them to the max, but rarely used them.

I used the set above the most.  Usually for a Japanese steamed egg custard dish called chawan mushi.  It's my "go to" comfort food, especially when ill.  It's traditionally eaten as an appetizer steamed or baked in a lidded tea cup, but I eat it for any meal because it's delish cold too!  I also like it Chinese style with just minced chicken, much easier and faster to cook than Japanese style.

Anyways, you can see the complete collection of my refrigerator dishes at VintageToGoetsy in the sale/sold section.  Here are some of my favs!

Anything looked good in these! but they weren't clear so whatever was in it didn't get used, even desk supplies!  They were at a $1 bin at a long ago swap meet, when I was looking for something else!  I love milk glass too and collected that also.  It's matching salt box is available here.

I really wanted to collect this entire set because it's milk glass, but with a clear top.  Thought I'd use it more that way, but these seem to be very difficult to find any where, not even close to a complete set!  Still available here.

This was my salsa container.  I loved the flush round knobs on these Glasbake!

and it's other Glasbake  loaf sized dish.  This is still available at VintageToGoetsy!
Meat loaf isn't my fav., but it's my Dad's and mr. oz's, but now I just use my clay roaster.  Everything in it bakes nice and moist!  So letting all of them go wasn't as tragic as I thought it was going to be!

Saying Good-bye:  The supersized pyrex set was the most difficult, but it left as a pooled wedding office gift for a co-worker bride in Los Angeles.  Knowing the set was going to a home of newlyweds that most likely cooked helped a lot.  I could imagine them being used by two and then later by more with little ones!

What I learned:

  1. My collections seem to expand and spill over from my other collections.  For example, milk glass to various milk glass refrigerator dish containers.  Visit VintageToGoetsy and HoarderRehab and see how my Mexican Folk Art collection turned into my Religious Folk Art collection and grew way out of proportion!
  2. I'm learning to use what I have to minimize my kitchenware.  All the refrig. dishes took up a lot of space, even though they stacked.  I love stacking kitchenware! My clay roasting pot is more versatile cookware and my chawan mushi bowls are from my Grandmother and use less space.  Plus the chawan mushi bowls is exactly one serving as to not over eat!  Kitty Kat Kitsch is on a cat nip diet, but that's another story.
What are you favorite collections?  And have they spilled over into another one?  Do you have any cookingware tips to maximize space and minimize the waistline? 

Thank you for the visit and for taking part in my HoarderREhab!

PS.  Does anyone know how to use etsy "circles" beneficially without taking up so much time?

No comments:

Post a Comment