Friday, September 27, 2013

Retro Plastic Mermaid Cocktail Drink Charms: The Destiny of Things, Story #116

Retro Plastic Mermaid Cocktail Drink Charms:  The Destiny of Things, Story #116

Smile if you remember these!

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, mermaid cocktail drink charms available here!

I just love these!  They bring back so many memories!  And guess what?  

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, mermaid cocktail drink charms available here!


I'm not the only one!  I thought I was until I received this email!  Here it is:
 
Hi. I received these charms and am very pleased! Thanks for the extra treasures too! You asked for the story of why I purchased these, well...here it is! 

When I was six years old (over 50 years ago) a lady in Texas gave me a plastic blue mermaid figurine. Well, I thought the miniature was one of the most beautiful little treasures I had ever seen, and I kept her tucked away in different jewelry boxes and display cases over the years. 

About a year ago, her arm broke off and I was really disappointed about it. I didn't even know she was a cocktail charm until I happened upon one just like her on your Etsy site! Now, I am so glad to have one that is not broken. I have of course kept the broken one, but I like the new one because it's so nice to remember what she used to look like! I hope you like my reason for buying her, and I wish you the very best with your Hoarder rehab.  - J


photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, mermaid cocktail drink charms available here!
 
It's nice to know I have something in common with a non-hoarder and that someone has kept their mermaid for 56 years!  I wish I had kept mine and surprised none of them were in my miniature collection.

When my parents went on date night to this one special restaurant, which I can't remember the name of, my Grandmother used to let me stay up until my parents came to pick us up just to see which cocktail charm they'd bring home for me!  I wish I could recall the name of the restaurant because it was the only one we were allowed to stay up past our bedtimes, all the other restaurants we had to go to bed on time.

Anyways, the mermaids were my all time favorite and second in line were the paper drink umbrellas.  My brother got the monkeys and other animals, which were fine with me

You can find them all, including the paper drink umbrellas in the "Party On" shop section at JunkDrawerLoveEtsy or click here for the direct link to it.


photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, jigger available here at HoarderRehab and/or VintageToGoEtsy


Saying Goodbye:  I have to mention it kinda looks like the one blue mermaid has a broken arm too, however it's not the case.  I think she's had a little more giggle juice than the rest of them!

I have a small junk drawer of these stashed away!  I've been collecting them and the other cocktail figurines for quite some time now for an art project I have in mind, so I finally did a "trial" piece and I need the "red" mermaids and out of the bunch I have only two are red.  If there is anyone out there that would like to trade for red ones let me know!  Thanks.

I also have a mix of cocktail drink charms in party animal packs:

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, mixed cocktail figurines here!

What I Learned:

1.  Some things are still hard to let go, even if I have a hoard of them!  However, they seem to be making others just as happy as I am to have them, so maybe it'll work out until I can collect enough red mermaids for my art project.

2.  I do love love all the other figurines too, especially the classic monkeys.  I'm not sure how to use these yet in an art project, but they would make great party favors and drink charms for a Friday Kahlo - Day of the Dead themed party, since she kept a pet monkeys, Fulang Chang and Caimito de Guayabal.




The mermaids or la sirenas would also make party favors and drink charms for a Day of the Dead party and would pair well with the Loteria or Mexican Bingo game at The Destiny of Things!


Okay, I feel as though I've gone way off tangent with my hoard ramblings, but I do love Day of the Dead and have many items from nichos, retablos, standing crosses to wall decor and votive candles at HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy, click on the links and search Day of the Dead in each shop and you will see the last of my DOD - Day of the Dead - Dia de los Muertos collections.

I'm cutting myself off now, however this is a perfect example and reminder of how my wandering hoarder cluttered mind gets with 7 weeks of insomnia!

Which drink figurines were your favorite charms as a child?

Thank you -J for emailing your story!  I love it and got to share yours with mine, which brought me insight to how and why my collections grow with the intentions of an art project in mind and now that intention needs to turn into action.

Thank you Etsy for for a surprise connection and my first story from JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  I have two more coming!

Thank you US, China, Thailand, Germany, UK, Ireland, Poland, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Hong Kong and Australia visitng my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things and VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 60 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will be listing 1-3 new things there daily and 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!

Related Stories:  Other sentimental replacement stories from Etsy buyers

1.  One of my favorites due to heartfelt feelings and coincidence: The Continuous Virgin Mary Ring

2.  Another favorite because it's a story about not giving up:  A Circular Destiny as Infinity Story

3.  Another favorite because the mother in law in the story reminded me so much of my Grandmother and touches my heart every time I read it:  Christmas Story in October

There are many more, but read this story and you'll find most of the other replacement stories, here!

Most Read Story of the DayDestiny as Infinity, Epiphany #6

Most Read Story of the Week, Month and All TimeMy Louis Vuitton Collection: the end of my collection is the beginning for someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things! 

2 comments:

  1. I remember my mother having these when I was little. I don't know where she got them, but she always wanted to use them in a fish tank. I found some a few years ago along with the monkeys in a shop. I want to use the mermaids in a lagoon scene using a large shell. The monkeys I'll use stepchildren pull toys for a dollhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    Thank you for your story! I'd love to see how you make the monkey doll house pull toys and lagoon scene using your mermaids, which reminds me! We have a betta in a fish bowl with a bright pink mermaid lounging on a large clam shell, which he loves to knock off!

    ReplyDelete