Friday, April 26, 2013

Miswak Twig Toothbrush Update: HoarderRehab Review #3, part 2

Miswak Twig Toothbrush Update:  HoarderRehab Review #3, part 2

I've been using this Miswak twig for a toothbrush now for over 2 months! 

photo via Hoarder Rehab, miswak toothbrush, available here

They look about the same from two months ago.  I've only had to cut mine twice about once a month or when I think it's not brushing as well.  mr. oz cuts his more often because he likes long bristles.

PROS:

1.  Still cleans my teeth, like I've just returned from getting my teeth cleaned, but without visiting the dental hygienist.  Clean, fresh, smooth and polished!  I don't have any cavities, but I have two gold crowns and two porcelain ones and it keeps them clean too without any issues.  Also, the tiny cracked tooth area that had black plaque on it is now almost free of it.

2.  No toothpaste needed but sometimes I dab a little organic coconut oil on it if I don't want to start off dry or some soak it in some water first.  Most of the time,  I dry brush the tops of my molars until it gets soft and continue brushing.

3.  I love the smallness of it, it seems to be just the right size to clean my teeth.  And I can hold it like a pencil or paintbrush for easier brushing of hard to reach places.  Works great for me, since I am someone with a small mouth and it helps me reach all my teeth, but especially the back of my teeth and my back molars.

4.  I've been using short bristles, but I think I'll experiment with longer bristles next and see if it brushes better.  The Miswak bristles work much better than a conventional toothbrush for brushing my tongue.  Although it's smaller, it cleans my tongue much better and more easily.

5.  I don't have to brush in the bathroom anymore.  I brush while reading or watching a movie.  I tend to brush longer and more thoroughly while being able to multi-task.

6.  I like the fact that it's a green product and biodegradable and won't need to be in a landfill.

7.  One seems to be growing a root!  So maybe we'll be able to grow our own toothbrushes! See picture below.
 
photo via Hoarder Rehab, miswak toothbrush, available here

CONS:

1.  It used to taste like mild horseradish with cinnamon to me, but now I don't even notice the taste.

2.  It can only be bought online or as far as I have found.

3.  As I said in my original review, it does cost more than a dollar store toothbrush, which a dentist commented and recommended buying a toothbrush from the grocery store, but I was buying toothbrushes from the dollar store that were the same as the grocery store sold

I can find the Miswak toothbrushes for $2 each, which is fine with me because I think the Miswak works better than any conventional toothbrush.

4.  I still need to floss!  I read a review and she said the Miswak brushed so well, she didn't have to floss.

5.  A cigar cutter might come in handy if one likes precise uniform length bristles.  I just use a scissor or knife to trim or cut off the old and peel off the bark with my fingers.

6.  Lastly, when I brushed after eating salmon the fish smell stayed on my Miswak.  I tried soaking it in water and rinsing it well and ended up just cutting off the bristles.  Next time I'll try baking soda.  I haven't noticed it happening with other foods.

photo via Hoarder Rehab, miswak toothbrush, available here

 OTHER "SUPPOSED" MIRACLES

1.  It does seem to make my teeth whiter, but I didn't take any "before" and "after" pictures.  My teeth are yellowish from too much fluoride treatment as a child or so my dentist told me.  It's removed most of my coffee stains just from brushing and my black plaque has diminished.

2.  I don't know if it heals caries or cavities, but I have a tiny chipped molar, so I've been watching it.

3.  I won't know if it removes plaque or keeps it at bay until my next teeth cleaning appointment.  Kinda looking forward to it now, since it should be interesting to find out, but mine is very mild and usually along the gum line with my back molars.

Overall, I still love my Miswak and so happy I've found a better alternative to plastic toothbrushes!

Thank you US, UK, Russia, Germany, France, Poland and Canada for visiting the past few days and taking part in my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

Anyone out there using a Miswak or other kind of toothbrush twig?  Please do tell!

If you would like to read some history about stick twig toothbrushes and some research I found in favor of the Miswak, you are welcome to read my first review from February here.

UPDATE:  As of January 21, 2014, Miswak or Sewak are available at our Etsy shop, Hoarder Rehab, here! and The Destiny of Things, here!


Most Popular Story of the Week and All Time FavoriteMy Louis Vuitton Collection

Most Popular Story this MonthInstant Organic Toothbrush:  Miswak, No Toothpaste Needed

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great posts! I've been trying to replace my current routine (which is natural/organic/homemade) with a routine that's even more simple and the miswak definitely fits the bill! Could you share the link to where you bought yours? I can't find any for $2.00!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found mine on ebay, but after I bought them I found them on amazon in bulk for even less. I think my miswak stick is going to last me a year or longer! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete