Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Ethiopian Coptic Cross: The Destiny of Things, Story LXXVIII

Ethiopian Coptic Cross:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXVIII

A story from EA with it's new life and home in France! 


EA said he'd been looking for this cross for a long time and if we ship to France.  When I asked him for a story, he said that the round crosses are rare and that it has important meaning to him.  He also mentioned that he hoped it will carry luck for him.

I have several Ethiopian type crosses, but this one interested me the most because of it's double circle and it's hinged. It looks like a cross with a star entwined around it and then enclosed with a halo. The outer design looks like people with joined hands around the world.

After I rediscovered it in the hoard and listed it, I thought it would make a great statement necklace with some African beads I have from childhood that were souvenir gifts from an aunt and uncle who went around the world for two years.

This cross inspired me to hunt down my childhood African bead collection which I haven't found yet.  I pictured this cross with green and cobalt blue beads with a tiny splash of red, but EA beat me to it!  Funny, just as I had written in the listing's Untold Destiny.  Read the original listing here.




Information I found interesting about the Ethiopian Coptic Cross:

1.  The original Coptic cross may have been influenced from the Coptic ankh[1] symbol and was adopted by early Christian Gnostics, most notably Valentinus of Alexandria, Egypt or Eyptian ankh.  Today's cross has many different forms. The circle represents the eternal and everlasting love of God Christ's halo was commonly depicted with cross-based halo in the early and especially the eastern parts of Christianity. The full cross symbolizes Christ's crucifixion and resurrection.--wiki

2.  Ethiopian crosses are invariably made from elaborate lattice work. Hand crosses usually include a square at the base, which represents the Ark of the Covenant and both the Ark and the Cross bear the Shekinah (see Prince of Peace Cross). Geometric patterns are common in Ethiopian art and there is order and meaning in the intertwined lattice style. This represents everlasting life and also relates to the nature of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.----seiyaku.com

3.  The Etsyian who bought this wished me a lot of "Jah", so I looked that up too.  I found this:  Jah (pron.: /ˈɑː/; Hebrew: יהּ‎ = Yah) is the shortened form of the divine name YHWH (also spelled Jehovah or Yahweh), an anglicized version of the Tetragrammaton (YHWH, Latin JHVH). The name is most commonly associated with the Rastafari movement or within the word hallelujah, although Christian groups may use the name to varying degrees. The name is used in some English Bible translations which reconstruct the Tetragrammaton. Other versions sometimes use the academic Hebrew reconstruction "Yah".---wiki

I also found that it means, "God" or the name of God and loosely translates to "I am Who I am". Yahoo answers.


Saying Good-bye:  I didn't have any memories, worries or dreams in this item, but it did remind me to dig up my childhood African Trade bead collection, which now reminds me of my Yoruba and Masai items that are also in my hoard.  I also have a camel doll from camel fur from my aunt and uncles travels too.  My brother got a handmade cross bow that had an attached small wooden or bone container that had a tooth topper and we were told it was for poisoned arrows.

What I Learned:

1.  It is getting easier to let go of things and I was able to painlessly donate some items!  However, since I've caught the stomach flu and experienced another negative transaction on etsy I've come to a standstill.  It's become clear to me that the negative transaction has nothing to do with me personally, but the person must be dealing with outside forces and reflecting them on me.

2. It's been scary and although I've reported the harassing incident, it was a trigger to disguised gifts and it has given me the opportunity to deal with some of my past.

3.  Even though I'm at a standstill today, I know I'll be able to move forward soon with more strength as I get well and move past bullying, insults and threats.

Thank you EA from France for your story and I hope the round cross you've found after looking for it for so long brings you the all the luck and opportunity you seek!  Thank you for giving this hoarded item a new life and a better home in France!

Thank you Etsy for another positive and interesting transaction that not only helped me let go of some of my hoarder history but provided many lessons to help me improve my life!

Thank you Russia, Germany, US, Ukraine, Belize, Ecuador, China, France and Mexico for being around the past several days while I recoup my health and supporting Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment