Monday, April 29, 2013

80s - 90s Sticker Collection for Teacher Classroom Student Rewards: The Destiny of Things, Story LXXII

80s - 90s Sticker Collection for Teacher Classroom Student Rewards:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXII

Some of my hoarded sticker collection has found a better life and new home!


Thank you Judy for your story, understanding, support and good hoarder ideas!  Here's her email:

Hi! 

I totally understand hoarding and the reasons behind it -- I live in a small home and it actually prevents me from accumulating too much! When I get something in (a piece of clothing for instance) I have to get rid of something else because I just don't have enough room to store or hang everything! 

I bought these cute stickers because I have a "treasure box" that I keep for my young nieces and nephews. When they visit, I let them choose something from it so these stickers will make a nice addition for my treasure box! 

I'm always looking for new and different things to add to it and these stickers will be a perfect little "treasure". Thank you so much for your sweet email and I wish you the best of luck with all of YOUR treasures! 

Sincerely, 
Judy from Huntington Beach, CA

It was so fun and informative receiving this email and brings me back to my treasure chests.  I have two of them.  One is old fashioned cardboard, the kind I remember from the dentist office and I have a metal one, both I used in the classroom.  I've already filled up the metal treasure box with vintage dime store toys, see it here.  Scroll down towards the middle.

On to my sticker collection...


Saying Good-bye:  I had a stamp collection as a child that turned into a sticker collection, but I haven't found my stickers from childhood yet, mostly Sanrio, nor my stamp collection, but I did find a vast amount of stickers from my teaching days!  A different set of 100 stickers are at Hoarder Rehab here or The Destiny of Things here.

I am so happy to let these go and it's an extra bonus knowing they are going to a new life of fun prizes in a treasure chest for little nieces and nephews and have a new home in Huntington Beach, California.  It's such a relief to know that even after some stacked up stress from the fender bender injury, kitchen remodeling and insomnia that it's still easy to let go of my hoarded items or as Judy says, my treasures!

What I Learned:

1.  I've heard this before and I don't know why, but the idea from Judy must have come at the right time and place because it seems simple to let go of something to bring in something new.  As for me, I think I need to let go of more before I buy anymore.

I haven't been buying much, except for the occasional set up reward.  I do like the obvious rule of one in and one out and I think it will help me maintain my recovering hoarder ways.

2.  Clearing out the kitchen for a remodel has been eye opening.  I wonder how much more I can let go from the kitchen!  It's taken up all the space in the dining room and living room and I want to do something about it, but I'll focus on the second room, since it's the worst and since my main goal is to have a music art room.  The kitchen will have to wait til after I have my Minimalist Organic home, have the music art room in order, and dehoard my truck!

3. My mind was less cluttered until the kitchen remodel, now it's back to being muddled and my stress level is higher from seeing the mass of clutter in kitchen in the dining and living room and not being able to find items when needed, like my morning coffee.  

I couldn't help move things, since I can't lift or carry anything to let my neck and back heal from the fender bender, so I feel even more disorientated as to where to begin searching!

This is all a good reminder to continue dehoarding and that a cluttered house does lead to cluttered thinking!

Thank you Judy for sharing your story with thoughtfulness, wishes and good ideas!  I hope your nieces and nephews love the addition to your treasure chest of goodies!  

Also, thank you for the maintenance idea, however I think I'll need to use it a little more extremely with one item in and 10-20 items out!

Thank you Etsy for having such a productive outlet for me and my hoard and for another connection that supports my hoarding recovery, dreams and goals!

Thank you US, Russia, Germany, China, Spain, France, Israel, Canada, Croatia, Poland, UK and Venezuela for stopping by since my last post and taking part in my HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things via VintageToGoetsy!  click on the links to see my hoard!

Other Related Stories:

1.  What to do with my treasure chests:   Last of my Retail Therapy as Easy Stress Relief

2.  HoarderRehab Meltdown:  The stress that lead to Retail Therapy

3.  Other ways to cope with Hoarder Stress:  Destiny as Infinity, a HoarderRehab Epiphany



No comments:

Post a Comment