Thursday, December 19, 2013

Japanese Porcelain Appetizer Soup Spoons: The Destiny of Things, Story #140

Japanese Porcelain Appetizer Soup Spoons:  The Destiny of Things, Story #140

A story from out of the blue!  Someone kept my note to them for 6 months!!!! Wow and thank you!


photo via VintageToGoEtsy


Just that thought makes me teary.  Thank you Dawn for making my day on November 7, and again today and I'm sure every time I read this post!

Here's here her story by email!


 
 
omg it only took me 6 months to write you back hahahaha. So sorry! I misplaced your sweet note and i just found it! Me and my boys love those vintage ceramic soup spoons!!! No story behind it other than, wen we go out to japanese restaurants, we all love them, and kinda don't enjoy Miso soup the same way sipping them through american silverware haha.

Crazy. I know. But we have asian plates and cups, and I'm a HUGE asian tea drinker as well, so the days I don't feel like cooking, and we order in Chinese or Japanese, with all the cool plates and cups and now thanks to you, spoons, i still feel like I made the night a little more special.

Wonderful idea of you to sell all of your prized possessions...hoarding's not easy to cope with. I imagine watching all your stuff go kicks up a sea of emotions. But know that everything you sell to people, is loved, probably more, knowing that it came from someone who loved them as well.

Thank you for sharing them And for your beautiful handwritten (imagine that! haha) letter. Awesome!

:)
~dawn prestom

 photo via VintageToGoEtsy

I have forgotten the convenience and niceties of being able to take out Japanese or have Chinese food delivered!  Since being gluten intolerant with pesticide, herbicide, fungicide allergies I can only eat gluten free and organic and that is a very difficult combination to find "ready to eat", let alone in a restaurant.  Forget fast food, but I have managed to find some junk food!

Bu it must be the ultimate treat to have Japanese or Chinese take out and use plates, cups and spoons to keep the theme going and feel as though one has taken a trip to Japan or China!  Which reminds me of my complete Japanese dish set for serving 8 or 10 that I didn't take with me from that house.  As a matter of fact, I donated most of my hoard from that house when I moved on to the next one, but that's another story!

Although if you are like me and can only eat gluten free organic, I have found two restaurants I can now eat at that don't give me allergic reactions and that is Tender Greens and Paul Martins.  They both serve organic and have many gluten free items, however not a separate gluten free kitchen if one is celiac.  I've been meaning to do reviews on them, so hopefully next year.....anyways, onwards and upwards...

Here's my story on these spoons:

I used to have tons of both styles, probably over 12 in each style that I collected through the years, but the pink ones were special because I think it's the pink ones, have little nubs on the back of them and they kinda hold onto the the lip of a deep soup bowl, so the spoon doesn't sink down into an udon bowl.

Also they make great appetizer spoons.  It's easy for the hostess and guests.  Just add the appetizer and arrange them with handle outwards to form a flower.  It looks good and it's easy pick up for guests and later they can either walk around and use them to pick up other appetizers or leave them around and they don't look too conspicuous.

Anyways, I only ended up with 6 because I used to move frequently as part of my "early" retirement plan about every 2-3 years to a new house.  One of the moves, I can't remember why, but I hired cleaners recommended by my real estate agents.  ( I remember why I hired them now, but that's a really long story)

I remember the house now too.  If you are wondering, yes, ALL my hoard came with me on each move!  but I remember at this house I didn't even bother to unpack and lived right out of the boxes.  I stayed at that house for exactly 2 years!

Okay, so I came home from teaching which was around 3 pm, just in time to watch Oprah and the cleaning service was outside smoking!  and they didn't even bother to move or say, "hello."  Yes, that was my first indication that something was amiss.  The rest of them were inside watching tv and having tea!

I politely dismissed them and called it a day.  I watched the rest of Oprah and always started cooking dinner while watching Dr. Phil.  I had a swiveler under my TV, so I could watch it in the kitchen, dining room or living room.  ( hmm... that was the last year I watched TV, after that I gave it up for Lent, but that's another story! and the swiveler was the particle board kind used for exercising, remember those?)

 photo via VintageByThePound, available here.  Mine was similar, but green.

When I sat down to dinner the dining room table was covered in a fine layer of sugar!  I don't eat sugar and don't keep any in the house (another thing I had given up for Lent another year), so the cleaners must have brought it with them?  I cleaned it up and the trash was full, so I took it outside to dump and there in the trash were most of these spoons!  And they were all broken!  Not just broken, but broken to the point I couldn't tell how many were broken.

On the way back to the house, I lived on a hill and it had at least 50 steps to get from the garage to the front door, I found shards and pieces of the pink spoons strewn all over the yard too!

In the kitchen, I looked in the flatware drawer and there were 6 spoons I had taken out to use, which meant they were going through my boxes and found the rest?

I was too tired to deal and I don't even remember what happened about it all, but it must have been good because I let my realtors talk me into hiring their handymen crew down the road!  That story is even worse!

 photo via VintageToGoEtsy

I must say the memory of these spoons leaving and their email about their new home is much better off than the one that came to mind from my past!

Although all the hard work of having three full time jobs did pay off and I was able to retire from teaching in three years.  So at least, in this case there are two happy endings and plenty to be thankful for.

I am very thankful that someone kept my letter for over 6 months and when they refound it, sent me their story about the spoons!  I hope more people do that!  It's never too late!

I'm thankful that these spoons are making better memories now!  I am thankful to know why it's good to purge and start a new.

I was reading an article today that it is not "time that heals all wounds."  It is mindfulness and breathing that does.  Here's the exact quote:

"It's a myth to say that time can heal.  Time cannot heal.  Breathing and mindfulness can.  (Long after a traumatic even happens to you) a sight, a sound, a smell, a taste a touch can trigger the complex stress response as though it's happening all over again."    ---Sister Dang Nghiem, MD, Zen Buddhist nun and disciple of Thich Nhat Hanh.

In my case, it's my hoard when it leaves me!  I do feel like it happened all over again with the handymen experience right behind it!

I am going to learn how to handle my past, learn from it without damage and heal from it the best way possible.  I am on the right track, but there must be more?  How much more and how do I find it?


Saying Goodbye:  If there is a story in every piece of my hoard, how long will it take me to to learn how to handle my past and find joy in all things?  I will need to read that article again and unlock the doors to this mystery!

As of now, I will focus on the goodness of these spoons and the new meaning they represent for me!  They are out there making new memories of far away exotic places with any Asian meal that comes their way!  And soon it will be me making new memories, because I'm going to learn how to deal with my past, instead of holding to one that most of the time I can't even remember!

What I Learned:

1.   To focus on the people that have  good hearts towards me and to forgive those that have not and to look into "breathing and mindfulness" and learn how it can help me.

2.  I think as my clutter leaves and makes new paths and space, it is also doing so in my mind.  I seem to be jumping around from memory to memory and they all must lead to somewhere and I'm wondering do I really need to go there?

I'd really just like to move onwards and upwards, but I suppose learning to handle my past is part of the move upwards!  I just don't have my senses triggering complicated stress arenas, I have my hoard too! and my hoard seems to be the strongest trigger of them all.

What do you think?  What is your strongest trigger to the past?  After my hoard, it's smell.  A random scent, like certain incense can take me to many places and all of them are pleasant ones!

Thank you Dawn for thinking of me after half a year and being kind enough to email me about the spoons, despite the time gone by!  Look at all you brought me!  I am so thankful to you!  Incredibly grateful for helping me put so many of the small miracles of today to fit together and make sense for me.

Thank you Etsy for making this all possible and for making it possible for me to not only deal with my hoard but all of it's underlying sources, even if I haven't figured it all out yet.

Thank you US, Ukraine, Canada, Germany, UK, China, France, Austria, Norway and Australia for your visits since Tuesday and being with me in spirit as I journey deeper into my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!



Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEtsy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 110 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and will resume new listings in a few days and will continue to relist 1-2 items at the other shops!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!
And thank you Ivy, my California GF for using the invite to open your new Etsy shop, Love Lotus Vintage!  Visit her newly opened shop, Love Lotus Vintage!

She has opened with romantic clothing, such a good way to begin the New Year!  My favorites are kawaii Japanese red Yukata robe with strawberries and bunnies, here and 50s pink handmade house dress here.  I just love that big collar!  I'll mention my other favorites tomorrow!
If anyone else would like an invite to open their own Etsy shop and get 40 free listings, let me know how I can help you!  
Related Stories:  Other surprise stories from emails
1.  An endearing Christmas story by email, my first one!  I received in October 2012, read it here 

"It's a myth to say that time can heal."  ---- Sister Dang Nghiem, MD, Zen Buddhist nun and disciple of Thich Nhat Hanh. 

Note to self:  I have a lot in common with the Dawn, although on a much smaller scale, from a non hoarder to hoarder, like being born into a family of artists, having a penchant for art as a child and entering art contests as a child.  Some how finding these commonalities with non hoarders gives me a sense of peace and relief.  Thank you Dawn for your profile write up.

No comments:

Post a Comment