Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Japanese Screen Holder Replacement Parts - Byobu: The Destiny of Things, Story LXXXV

Japanese Screen Holder Replacement Parts - Byobu:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXXV

I was wondering if this would "ever" find a new home, despite it's missing piece or pieces and it amazingly did!


I don't know if this story is good or bad for my hoarding recovery, but it found a new home even with it's missing piece and the other person was so happy about it, she said, "I am hanging a shoji screen & found I am missing all the parts you have so it is a perfect match up."

What are the odds of that happening?

I've been hoarding this item for so long hoping to find it's missing piece in the hoard somewhere, I can't even remember how it works nor which piece is missing!

I think it might be one of these, but I'm so guessing!


 
Hi again!

I am was so excited yesterday that you bought the byobu and even happier now that I know you have the missing piece!

I can't wait to write about this piece on my blog, so I hope I feel better soon to do so!

As a recovering hoarder, this is good and bad news! Good in the sense, you found the byobu, which seems to beat all odds if you ask me!

Bad in the sense I've kept this for over three years hoping the missing piece would be found in my hoard and for some reason could not get myself to discard or donate it. So it's kinda not so good that I kept it all these years without hope of ever finding the missing piece.

Anyways, for some reason, it's very important to me that each piece gets a chance for a new life and better home! Maybe now that I've said shared it, it'll be easier for me to let go of my stuff!

Thank you for making my day! and truly being a HUGE part of my Hoarder Rehab!

Best regards,
~Kennedy


Just in case, someone is interested in a byobu and what it is and how it works, I will do my best to describe and explain it.

This byobu is the wall mounts for hanging a folding Japanese screen panel to a wall with screen measurements of 36" x 66" x 1" thick, like the hand painted on silk Japanese art screen here, at Glimmers in Time on Etsy.

My Japanese panel was a low screen and was bought in Japan in the late 60s and was in the style below:


Mine was much more simple with a picture of a man coming home on his boat, like the boats seen in this picture painted in the style shown with a plain border.

I used it in many ways, it hung over the fireplace and I often gazed at it while keeping warm and made up stories of children waiting for their father to come from work.  I used it as a half screen to block out window light in various rooms and it gave some privacy to others rooms.  Also it folded up compactly enough to move around easily and store in a closet or shelf and so did the byobu.

It was more than a little wrecked, but I still loved it!  It had several pin holes already in it, but then my Aunt decided to put it on a bench, in front of a window and the wind knocked it over and it got a huge hole in it, like someone punched it!  Later in front of the same window, it rained really hard and fast and by the time I got downstairs, it was all wet!

The last time I moved it was accidentally left behind, I think folded up behind some cardboard boxes we didn't use, but the byobu came with us some how!

And for unknown reasons I couldn't part with it.  I tried donating it and putting it in the trash and it just came right back out of the trash and donation pile, until I desperately listed it on HoarderRehab in hopes that I could beat all odds and find it a new home!


Saying Good-bye:   I was so happy to say good-bye to my byobu.  It was a miracle to me that someone even needed it!  However, I'm not so sure how it helps my recovery as a hoarder, in the sense that I'm trying not to save items that are missing things and/or of no use to me, yet it sold!

What I Learned:

1.  If I'm going to look at this byobu with judgement towards my HoarderRehab, then I will see it as a blessing, rather than a curse!  Even though I kept it for over three years without use or potential for use, it eventually found it's way to a place where it found it's usefulness.  It made at least two people happy at the time and if not, at least someone else had to discard it!

2.  That's an interesting statement I just made, I'd rather have someone else discard my stuff.  I think it's been drilled in my head since childhood, not to waste anything and to reuse items and to be very very careful about what gets thrown away!

I remember there's a comment in the Etsy blog:  "Can Having Too Much Stuff Stress You Out?" that I put in my article, Clutter as Visual Noise that I sooo relate too!  Here it is from my posting on Oct. 30, 2012:

ka1231
I have the opposite problem. I am too quick to get rid of things and find I want them back or need them soon after. This has caused lots of stress for me. So, I started putting my give-away pile in a closet for a month. Usually within that month I will pull things out that I've decided to keep. If after a month, it is still on the closet...I feel fairly comfortable that I won't miss it

***This happens to me all the time, even with things I think are trash!  I have to remind myself I can't keep everything I think I can recycle, some things can fall through the cracks!  Also, I have many items I can't even list yet or are sitting in drafts waiting for me to come to better terms with them!  It helps to return to my HoarderRehab etsy goals and my decisions on what to keep!
As a matter of fact, there are so many comments from that particular blog article that I couldn't list them all or read them all, but I learned so much more from the comments.  Thanks to all Etsyians who left comments that are so helpful to me!  I do not feel alone and learned so much about my hoarding ways!
3.  I'll just keep moving forward patiently as I step consciously one foot in front of the other and not give up even when I move backwards!

Thank you Etsyian for leaving your email providing me with a story that keeps me focused on my dream of a Minimalist organic home with a music art room, rather than unused hoard storage!

Thank you Etsy for giving me a forum to release my hoard, make connections with people I never thought possible and helping me make my dreams come true!

Thank you visitors from US, Australia, France, UK, Japan, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia for joining me in my HoarderRehab: The Destiny of Things and keeping me company with encouragement and motivation to continue on my journey into the unknown without my hoard following me!
Click on the highlighted links to visit the newly added hoard listed today at VintageToGoetsy, HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!  My vintage to antique Japanese collection is here at HoarderRehab.

If you need to get a byobu, they can be found for sale here, at Japanese Screens.net

Related Stories:
1.  Clutter as Visual Noise:  It gave me the hope I needed when one feels so alone with their problems.  It was my 12th posting, since I began this blog October 11, 2012!  I found so many other people that I could relate too and many were not hoarders!  Click on the highlighted underlined area to read it!
Thank you Chappell from Etsy for writing the blog story, "Can Having Too Much Stuff Stress You Out?" that inspired my posting and for Raphaela Cornut from Tzunuum, for the title of my posting and making me think on better terms about my hoard as visual noise.  Click on the highlighted links to read more about them, visit their shops or go to the Etsy blog.

2.  Yesterday's posting is an example of a set back as a recovering hoarder, you can read it here.  It also includes a list and links to my other journeys of "going two steps backwards to move one step forward."

3.  My more successful stories:  
My first email from someone who sent me their story and encouraged me into believing that I'd get more!  Christmas Story in October, click on the title to read it.  Thank you Courtenay from Etsy!

4.  My first story from an Etsyian so happy to find a replacement that she blurted out her joy in "note from buyer" and I was so happy and relieved to find out where my beloved hoarded plate was going!  This is the story that started my documenting my recovery as a hoarder!  Read it here, by clicking on the highlighted link.


No comments:

Post a Comment