Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Taxco Warrior Ring: The Destiny of Things, Story LXXXIX

Taxco Warrior Ring:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXXIX

A story all the way from the Netherlands!  I'm so excited! my third story from the NL!


Items shipped from the US to the Netherlands seem to take decades, but it's really only about 4-8 weeks and I used to get a little worried about them because shipping to the NL is already expensive and tracking is even less economical, so I get a lot of emails about the timing of their arrivals.  Which is fine with me because NL people are so friendly and I get to know them until their package arrives!

Every Etsyian from the Netherlands not only have sent me stories, but also sent me updated pictures!  And she said she would too!  As a recovering hoarder, collecting these stories, instead of more things has been so helpful towards my Hoarder Rehab and and I am even more thankful to actually see my hoarded item's new life and home!  It's the ultimate! 

The email came with such an interesting back story stemming from childhood!  Here it is:

Hi Kennedy,

You were right - no reason to worry as my ring has arrived! Dutch customs got hold of it and decided to charge me extra. But the ring is all worth it, so no problem! Thanks for the great service and the nice magical extras :-))

My story behind the ring: I love silver jewelry, especially rings, and tend to go for symbolic (bit mysterious) rings with animals or skulls/ masks/ eyes. I always had a fascination for faces - the moment I could hold a pencil I was always drawing eyes and faces, so your ring just had the right feel - and really love the pierced nose and ears :-)). I think when I am 90 years old (I have a 100-year-old grandma so some strong genes in the family :-))I will still have my fingers covered in rings - for me they just express who I am somehow, more than clothes do. Will send picture later :-)

Doei! Isa

And I learned some Dutch too!  Doei-- pronounced doo-wee is like a casual way to good-bye and it's supposed to be sung, like the way we sing byyy-ee.  The more appropriate way to say good-bye in Dutch is "dag", which means day or "tot ziens", which is the most formal equivalent to "farewell." 

Read more about it at this interesting post here from Andy in Amsterdam and the comments are just as informative!  Thanks Andy!


This ring is from my love of Taxco jewelry!  I bought this in the 80s and have several other Taxco face pendants and one sided earrings.  I don't know when my love of Taxco began, somewhere in my childhood and loved to go to Tijuana for jewelry and miniatures.

When I was in my 20s I went on a summer vacation to Acapulco and despite no one wanting to take the trip to Taxco with me, I went anyway!  It was classic.  I went on a bus and was the only tourist with chickens and rabbits too!  I remember breathing in a lot of bus exhaust and sticking to the seat for two hours one way!

It was worth it!  If you like Taxco jewelry, just imagine being in a corner to corner town of it!  I was in Taxco heaven and didn't even bother to eat, so I could cover more ground!  I was so happy to have seen Taxco I don't remember the ride back.


Saying Good-bye:  Since I never wore this ring and have no idea why I bought it, except that it reminds me of Taxco jewelry, it was simply easy to let go.  It was found in a cigar box within another box of hoard.  Interesting...it seems now that most of my Native American jewelry has sold, now my Taxco jewelry is showing up.

I am just so happy that this made it's way on it's long journey safely to Isa in the Netherlands and it's joining a whole lot of other rings stacked on her fingers and will remain so for many more decades to come!  I used to wear many of rings and bracelets stacked and can't wait to see a picture of the Warrior Ring in good company!

What I Learned:

1.  That I used to just buy jewelry for no other reason besides it reminds me of other Taxco jewelry!  And I most likely still buy things due to something reminding me of my childhood.

2.  I knew a friend back in college who used to collect the green onyx jade warrior faces and I have a few of those too and I guess they got lost in my hoard and I never refound them to give them to her.  She loved Taxco jewelry too and wore several heavy Matl bracelets like this here mixed in with ones like this here.  We had the same style, back then during our punker days!

So this posting is a reminder that I've been hoarding for decades and so much so that there is hoard within hoard!  I wonder how many gifts I've bought for others and then lost them in my hoard over the years. 

Now I have a special drawer dedicated to just gifts because I'm the type of person who waits last minute to buy a birthday gift or I have something so specific in mind that I saw awhile back and then can't find a shop that sells it when I need it and I end up giving up and buying something else that in my mind is secondary and not ultimate, like I did this Father's day!  ...sigh...

Thank you Isa from The Destiny of Things for your story and coming update photos.  I can't wait to see all the rings on your fingers, like I used to be able to wear before I became allergic to them.  I enjoyed corresponding with you while the package arrived safely to you.  And thanks for teaching me some Dutch!  Dunk u wel!

Thank you Etsy for some international distribution of my hoarder history to others that love them so much and return a "thank you" with a story and pictures of their new lives and homes!

Thank you US, Sweden, France, Australia, Netherlands and Canada for your visits and being part of my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!  Much appreciated!

Visit my newly added to hoarded history to any of my clicking on the highlighted shop names, VintageToGoEtsy, HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things.  My Taxco jewelry is scattered around all three shops with my favorites being here, here and here!  Thank you!

Other Stories from the Netherlands:

1. My Sequoia Souvenir Box, read the story, here with an update picture in the NL.   Danielle uses her Sequoia Souvenir box from my childhood as a coin changer at her florist shop in NL, which she named after our Sequoia forest, Sequoia Floral Design!  Click on her name or shop name to visit and see her beautiful and unique floral arrangements!

2.  My first story from the NL, Incense Burners, with my favorite incense burner, which later I learned from a kind reader is a "chakaboshi" or a waste container for tea leaves after steeping them.  Click on the highlighted "here" link to read it.

Related Stories with Updated Photos sent by Etsyians of my hoard in their new lives!  Many of them are like "before" and "after" pictures, see the transformations!

1.  Alphabet Bracelet in the Classroom!  updated pictures with Joanne wearing it and it's related alphabet lesson!  I never know what will be inspired from my hoard!

2.  Anniversary Love Dice:  updated with photo of what the hubby sees and says about it when he accidentally intercepts his anniversary gift!

3.  Mr. Happy with his New Brothers:   Update with a picture because one brother gave it to his brother because "one of them was getting kinda crabby".  See the picture of all four brothers and guess which one is the crabby!

4.  New Home for Turquoise:  see photos of my rings stacked with others on it's new home!

5.  Copper Sacred Heart Anniversary Gift:  see photos of their matching themed wedding cake!

6.  Circular Story of Saint Christopher Medal:  see photos keeping a traveler safe while going "to" and landing "in" South Africa!

7.  Toothy Tooth Locket:  updated with photos of daughter wearing it for her Reading Fair project!

8.  Intentions for B. Maugerite Bourgeyeos Beatification Charm:  See the photos of the transformation of this charm into a beautiful bracelet gift for a daughter.

9.  Hans Vilhelm Hansen's Version of  St. Laboure's Miraculous Medal:  updated with a picture it's new home with other medals as a necklace.

10.  World Globe Key Chains:  photos of it's new home in a shadow box!

Wow, thank you Etsyians for sending photos, so I can enjoy seeing them in their new lives and better homes!  I didn't realize I had so many!  Many many thanks to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment