Monday, June 17, 2013

Glasbake Refrigerator Ice Box Container: The Destiny of Things, Story LXXXVIII

Glasbake Refrigerator Ice Box Container:  The Destiny of Things, Story LXXXVIII

A one sentence story from an Etsy buyer that I hear a lot!

I had 20 of these in my collection!  This is the second to the last one.  The Etsy buyer basically had a question concerning combined shipping, but also included that she was switching from Tupperware to glass for microwave heating for her two small children.  I've gotten several inquiries about switching from plastic to glass for these refrigerator dishes, but this Etsyian actually ordered one!

Interesting since, from what my Grandmother told me is that a set of these came included when you bought an ice box or later a new refrigerator.  One could prepare the main portion of the meal ahead of time, store in the refrigerator, easily take it out and into the oven, serve and then pop the leftovers back into the refrigerator.

There was a larger square one for vegetable or jello storage, this loaf sized one for meats or bread and two smaller ones to store your side dishes.

I had started collections of this brand, glasbake, Victrox milk glass, vegetable design depression glass, Gay Fad Fire King and a complete extra large collection of primary color Pyrex.  The 14 piece Pyrex collection and pictures of the others are here with the story.


I've been collecting these since the late 80s and I didn't use them much.  I thought I'd use them instead of plastic storage containers, but  I never really used plastic either.  I still use mainly glass, but just end up putting a dish as a lid on a bowl instead.  If it's a plate going into the frig. I just put another plate on top of it for a lid.

I rarely use the microwave and if I do, I just cover it with wax paper.  I do think vintage refrigerator dishes make reheating in the microwave and storing food much healthier than any plastic.

I did use glass containers mainly as lunch containers when I was a teacher, but mostly used the glass containers with toxin free seal proof plastic lids or jars and for hot foods, a large mouthed thermos.

So my collection of refrigerator dishes storage containers sat unused in cupboards, until finally during one move they just stayed in a box!  All of them were popular and sold well.  I have one left, the Gay Fad Fire King loaf sized dish, available here, click on the highlighted link to visit it.


Saying Good-bye:  These were some of the first of my collections to be listed and even though I hadn't used them in over 15-20 years the first couple that sold were difficult, but back then I think almost everything that left tugged at my heart.

Now, it's a rare happening because the heart tug has turned into heart felt, but if it is painful, it's for a few seconds to minutes and then it passes.  I try and stay focused on the fact that letting go brings me closer to my goals and the item is going to have a useful new life again in a better home where someone appreciates it to order it and have someone ship it to them.

What I Learned:

1.  Practice does make things easier and I hope that one day, letting go will be totally painless and just pure joy, delight and fun will have taken it's place without a single memory that I used to be a hoarder.

2.  It's such a relief, as a recovering hoarder to know the new back story of an item and for those that get away, I imagine one.  Now I make a wish for most of the items and I write one for all of my listed items at The Destiny of Things, titled, "untold destiny".  Many of my wishes end up coming true and I know this because the stories end up on my blog!

Thank you Etsy buyer for your little words of relief and I'm so happy they are being used by a family very open minded to their health.  I can't thank Etsy buyers enough for helping me dehoard my home and making other dreams and goals possible!

Thank you Etsy for giving me a way to be successful with my Hoarder Rehab!  As of today, 298 items of hoard have found better lives and new homes making my journey more meaningful and my buying choices more conscious! 

Thank you US, Armenia, China, UK, Greece, India, Netherlands, Sweden and El Salvador for your visits and supporting my Hoarder Rehab and The Destiny of Things!  See the newly listed hoard by clicking on the highlighted shop names, VintageToGoetsy, HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!

See the last available refrigerator loaf dish here.  It's hasn't sunk in that the other 18 pieces left so quickly!

Related Stories:

1.  See the almost double Pyrex refrigerator dish set that I thought was a regular set, click here.

2.  An endearing story of my first emailed story with my largest refrigerator dish, click here.

Some "Untold Destiny" stories that came true, which I call "destiny as infinity":


2.  Twin Cross Story:  Native American Crosses for Daughters


4.  "Destiny as Infinity" :  What it means to me and how it became my theme quote.

There are several more, but I can't remember them at the moment.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment