Friday, June 7, 2013

Not My Favorite Red Cashmere Coat! Destiny of Things, Story LXXXIV

Not My Favorite Red Cashmere Coat!  Destiny of Things, Story LXXXIV

Another item I've had since college is getting a new life and better home not too far from me!


This was an endearing transaction and best of all, it came with a story that motivated and inspired me in so many different ways! 

Here it is!  Join us with a cup of your favorite beverage, put up your feet and take a nice break!

 
Hello Kennedy,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful thoughts. I checked out your blog and was truly inspired by the stories you share about each item you let go. I know how therapeutic this can be, and like you, I've always wondered about what happens to the items I donate or sell online go to new homes.

I'll certainly keep you posted on your coat's new life once I get around to wearing it, which won't probably be until later in the year once it gets colder. You're probably wondering why I'm buying a coat this early: call it part compulsive shopping and the other early-stage planning for five outfits I plan on sewing that need a coat like this (we'll see how that goes). But the real clincher for my purchase was that wonderful anecdote about your aunts fawning over the coat, not to mention the laughs I got from your well done giant cat head pictures. Thanks again for your lovely thoughts and insights.

Cheers,
Melissa

 
P.S. Sorry I didn't make it clear in my last message, but feel free to share my message. My Story: I always seem to get stuck wearing black, so I had to buy this coat, and in red! I bought it as motivation to look more fashionable this coming winter, but mostly as a kick in the butt to boost my sewing mojo: now I won't have an excuse to sew some 1950's inspired dresses and not wear them, since I haven't had something suitable to match and I am ALWAYS cold. Buying this coat for me was an ethically feel-good purchase (modern clothing often abuses overseas labor, so I buy used/vintage and sew). But I also know this coat will look good when even your aunts once swooned over it (this anecdote sold me). I will always think of this coat as the "swooning red coat," and I will endeavor to live up to its new name. Thanks for your interest and your thoughtful blog. You are a witty and inspiring lady!


 
Hi Melissa!

It's little connections like yours that encourages me to keep going! And believe me, it's been a tough month for me and it's been difficult to get back on track to my dehoarding ways, but your email just put me over the top! So many many thanks for the boost!

Now I just can't wait til you get this red coat! You are going to love it! When I saw it sold, I was a tad sad, but now with your email, it is just the motivation and inspiration I need and I'm so happy it's motivating you too!

I am even more ecstatic that you will keep me updated on it's new life with you! I would love to see the 50s outfits you sew and maybe it'll motivate me to do some sewing too! I've been trying to part with my hoard of sewing patterns, they are on my other shop, VintageToGoEtsy.

Anyways, I have so much to thank you for, like reading my blog and relating to my stories! I hope you don't mind if you I send you another email with more thank you! I'm so excited for us!

Off to chiro with warm regards,
~Kennedy at
VintageToGoetsy
Hoarder Rehab
The Destiny of Things


 
Hello Kennedy,

I received the coat yesterday and it did not disappoint. I was so ecstatic about it I even made my husband jealous!

Thanks for the little packet of goodies! I really enjoyed reading your pocket note, just as I have all your Etsy messages. Really, I wish you a heartfelt thanks for selling this coat for me. I'll shoot you a quick email later in the year to update you on my sewing for this coat. Thank you for a most memorable Etsy purchase, and best of luck on your blog and dehoarding project. You're doing a brave, inspiring thing with both!

Cheers,
Melissa

 
Hi Melissa!

I checked tracking all day long yesterday to see if you got the coat yet, but it was down all day! So I am so glad you received it!

I am so excited that you love love the coat! Wow, and it even made your husband jealous! That coat has got to be a keeper, if it turns heads of husbands! I think that coat might bring that out in people, like my Aunts! haha!

I can't wait to see your outfits that you will sew just for this coat!!! I would love to do that too when my hoard is more manageable and I can even reach my sewing machine.

Thanks for the encouragement for my blog and kick starting me again with it! My stories were starting to pile up. I was just starting to write ours when I thought I should check your tracking again. And lo and behold, I got such heart warming email from you and feedback to match! Big thanks!

I have so many thank you's for you! Blog thank you's, happiness thank yous that my coat went to such a kind person with other matching projects in mind, even a tiny lament thank you now that the coat is gone, but I'm so glad it's going to make a bunch more people jealous, since it's out of my closet and out into the world! I'll just have to say that all day long today!

One last thank you.... you've inspired me to keep reaching for my sewing machine so I can sew again too!

Cheers! and happy Friday! you've made mine shine!
~Kennedy

PS. I'll send you the link to our blog story tonight or tomorrow morning!


It's emails like Melissa's that make my Hoarder Rehab such a pleasant journey! delightful and even fun! I never thought I'd be saying "fun" when I started this journey last May!  Here is the story I wrote about it for the listing on The Destiny of Things or see the original listing here:

Untold Destiny: I bought this in college, but rarely wore it. I did wear it over the winter holidays occasionally when it was cold in Los Angeles. I remember at one holiday dinner my aunts swooning over this coat and all of them trying it on, so that's why I think it will fit a medium too, plus it's flared style is not only good for different sizes but for layering! Goes great with black leather gloves with cashmere lining!
 
Destiny to come: I hope this goes to someone who enjoys vintage fashion and wears it daily be it with jeans or a lbd during this holiday season!
And it went to a new life with someone who not only loves vintage fashion, but sews her own 50s clothing!  I don't think I could have asked for a better match!

Saying Good-bye:  I didn't have any problems letting this go, but now that it's gone!!!  I am slightly conflicted. Yesterday, I kept checking it's mail tracking, but it wouldn't load and it's leaving for some reason started tugging at my heart strings and I started to have some strange thinking like, "could their be a shred of  possibility--- for some reason----could it be coming back?"

I hadn't heard from Melissa either, so I started to think the worst.... did it get all wet on the way to her?  I knew I should have wrapped it in plastic!  Maybe she doesn't love it as much as I do.  Maybe she doesn't love it at all.  Is it the wrong color red?  Crazy, crazy unproductive thoughts!  I had to stop checking it's tracking and turn Etsy off for the day!

I also had a set back with my hoarding ways!  For the past couple of months, I've been shopping for cotton camisoles, which I usually buy at Target, but they don't have much cotton in them anymore and I'm not sure what Modal is, nor if I'm allergic to it.    So I went thrifting..... that'll be Monday's story!

So yes, now that my favorite red cashmere coat from college has left me forever, it's pulling on my heart strings for some reason that I need to go sit quietly and figure out before I do more hoarding shopping damage!

What I Learned:
1.  I can't remember the last time I wore that coat and it's been sitting in my closet unused for over 20-30 years!  So I guess stressful situations are piling up again and I am using retail shopping to release the stress and returning to holding on to my favorite things that I no longer use!

Logically, it hasn't been cold enough in Los Angeles for me to wear a coat anywhere, not even around in this house that doesn't have heat for the past 5 years!  And the last coat I remember wearing is my other favorite, a Free Mason Cross coat here, but I think it has sat unused for the past 10 years!

I remember why I've kept this for so long, it's because one day I was going to make a cashmere quilt using this coat along with a black and white one.  I have no idea what happened to my black cashmere coat and I have a problem cutting up favorite clothes as nice as this one for quilting.  So I suppose, not just memories, but dreams were embedded in this coat!

2.  Maybe it's also because my favorite red Kantha Banjara purse sold today too?  That piled in with the stress of the car accident, endless chiropractor appointments, eating Townsend Costco organic fruit mix tainted with Hepatitis A for a month before it was recalled, trying a new organic gluten free restaurant and not feeling well afterwards and topping it off with thrifting and not realizing that I actually bought 23 items!

I certainly can't handle stress like I used to, especially since hoarding is no longer such an automatic stress mechanism for me!

3.  Focus on the good to eliminate the bad!  Someone, besides me,  likes my cat head fashion pictures amusing, my little goodie "thank you" package that includes ephemera of my life into the unknown that reminds me it's got to be better than a hoarding life, appreciates my thoughts, my blog and what I'm trying to accomplish!  Thank you Melissa!

Just think!  My favorite college coat is inspiring someone to sew FIVE outfits just to match the coat!  Also, it's out from living in a dark closet for the past 30 years and now gets to shine!  And will now be known as "the swooning red coat!"  And is out there now making new stories for someone, as I see it already has with "impressing" a husband!  Thank you for all the sharing Melissa! and I can't wait to see the first piece and/or outfit you sew!

Her inspiration has lead to my inspiration and motivated in more ways than one, like to keep going with this blog, hence the almost daily posts this week!  To keep dehoarding the music art room, so I can use my own sewing machine!  Hence the removal of most of the empty cardboard boxes, I used to think I might need for shipping hoard out, but don't anymore, since most of the larger pieces have already found new homes!  That I was procrastinating on for the past few weeks.

As a person who usually ends up wearing black too, I am glad to have made a common connection to someone who is also trying something different and new!  And it's so nice to see inspiration spiraling on in so many different directions!  Maybe this story will inspire more sewing mojo or who knows what else!  Please share if it does!
And best of all, I feel better already by focusing on the good!
Thank you Melissa for finding "the swooning red coat" and making it more than an Etsy transaction with your stories, emails, encouragement and inspiration.

Thank you Etsy for helping me find 292 items of my hoarded history new lives and better homes bringing me closer to my dreams of  Minimalist organic home with a music art room, rather than unused hoard storage.

Thank you all visitors from US, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Croatia, Ireland, India, Netherlands, South Korea and Russia for your stop bys and supporting my Hoarder RehabThe Destiny of Things!

Click on the Etsy shop names to see the new hoard that was added today!  VintageToGoetsy, HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!

(Please excuse any errors or editing issues I have today or any day, the neighbors are playing loud music and it doesn't agree with my noise intolerance or my current stress levels!)

Related Stories:
1.  Not My College Mugs!  Click on the highlighted title, to read the story of my Sanrio college mugs making their way to an 80s collector artist and how difficult it was to let go of them because at the time I didn't know they held my worries from that time. 
As a matter of fact, I have chosen to keep the Empire State light which can be seen in the the first picture, which I purchased with the Frivolous Sanrio college mug, which was my first purchase for my college apartment and cost a pretty penny!  I was already a frivolous hoarder back then!

2.  I also had a very difficult time letting go of Freddie the Frog,  click on the highlight to read the endearing heart felt story from an Etsyian who was so happy to have found this puppet that he cried tears of joy!  His story had me crying tears of joy too!  
I can so relate to this story because I never know what memories, dreams or worries are buried deep inside any which item.

Most Viewed Story of the Week, Month and All Time is "My Louis Vuitton Collection"  which started in middle school and was a series of items that were the end of my collections and the beginning for others posted as a way to end the 2012 year.

Most Viewed Story of the Day:  Surprisingly, it's Freddie the Frog!

No comments:

Post a Comment