Friday, April 18, 2014

Syringe Pen Props in Art Show: The Destiny of Things, Story 186

Syringe Pen Props in Art Show:  The Destiny of Things, Story 186

 Some of these are going to be props in HELLAstitchy's art show in San Jose, California!

photo via The Destiny of Things, red ink syringe pen available here
and syringe pens in blue, yellow or green in black ink here


I've loved these pens since childhood!  I remember using one at the Doctor's office attached to a clipboard, kept me busy for hours pretending to fill out paperwork!  And my pediatrician always had one in his lab coat pocket.... I can still hear him click it to write!

I also remember him telling me to have three careers in mind for when I grow up.  His were doctor, pilot and teacher.  His plane crashed in stormy weather and he eventually lost sight in one of his eyes, so he became a teacher! I grew up across the street from Meadowlark Airport and now wonder if that's where he flew from.

 photo via VintageEditionBooks

I remember reading this book at in the waiting room of the Doctor's office and eventually my brother and I had one to share at home!  We each had a syringe pen too and kept it in our Doctor's bag of tricks!  which was really a first aid kit with mostly band aids in it!

photo via The Destiny of Things, red ink syringe pen available here
and syringe pens in blue, yellow or green in black ink here

I remember the real shots from the Dentist office.  I could see the needle coming, but my dentist was so good I never felt it or at least I don't remember feeling it.  So many memories from this pen!

Caitlin from Etsy shop, HELLAstitchy sent an email saying the pens work out well in her life since she has a pharmacy background and is majoring in Biology with plans in the medical field and will incorporate these with other medical props in her art show May 21st featuring her embroidery.  How HELLAexciting!

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, City Coroner toe tag stickers here 
and syringe pens in blue, yellow or green here

Saying Goodbye:  I have my own stash of these around the house in my various pencil holders in every room and keep one handy in my backpack.  My family has many in the medical field, so these end up being taken home or given away and the little ones love to play Doctor, Nurse, Pharmacist, Paramedic, etc with them and of course, it's a great prop introduction to the book, "Good Drug, Bad Drug."

What I Learned:

1.  I buy a lot of trinkets and nostalgic novelty items from childhood!  I used to have quite the pen and pencil collection and still have my favorites.  My Japanese kawaii stationery is still growing, even though I'm trying to stunt it's growth.  I either need to find a pen pal who enjoys the same stationery or dig up what's left from my teen to college years and list it on Etsy!

2.  As a recovering hoarder, progress in some areas are more pronounced and in other areas very miniscule.  For example, now that I've let go of most of my Taxco and  Native American jewelry because I'm allergic to sterling, I've found I'm not as allergic to it anymore.  I waited over 3 years for my allergy to most metals to fade away, but I find that now that I can tolerate wearing some jewelry again, I am so used to not wearing jewelry that I don't even think about it!

So at least I've gotten over jewelry!  I guess that's a good thing?  Now to figure out the mysteries behind the Japanese kawaii stationery!  Ho-hum!

Is there anything you keep buying even though you don't need it?  There's plenty I still buy without needing it, like kawaii stationery, especially San-x Nyanko, (the older food cats) but I am consciously making slow progress in that arena!

Thank you fellow Etsy shop owner, Caitlin from HELLAstitchy for sharing your story with me to help me with mine.  It seems my memories are lost in things and don't reveal themselves until I write about the item.  I am so thankful the syringe pens are going to add some detail to your art show this May 21st!  I hope it's the best ever!

I found a lot of inspiration, fun and chuckles in her "about" page, here because I could really relate to so much of it.  The day I first read it, I especially could relate to this line, "So I turned my fear over and found a little confidence."  That little line made a big difference for the rest of my days!

So visit HELLAstitchy for some unique handmade embroidery stitched items, like wall decor, patches, and custom orders!  She's an Official Bonafide Sublime Stitcher! Not for the faint of heart or easily offended, don't be shy!  

My favorites are the bird patch here, perfect for the day when a bird has a mind of it's own and hits you with a fly by!  Or this here, when I need a reminder that one treat is NOT enough!  And for the risque and a giggle, "C U Next Tuesday here!  My all time favorite embroidery piece, "Vital Organ" with it's high pop of color, here! and it includes the neon green frame!  Wow!  now I think I can see where the syringe pens will find it's proper place, other than next to the guest book!

And many happy sales to you and your new shop!

Thank you Etsy for more and more stories coming my way that are helping me to solve the mysteries to my hoarding!

Thank you US,  Canada, China, UK, South Korea, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Malaysia and many others for helping take part in my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things with your visits!  

Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEasy and now JunkDrawerLove!  There are about 111 items listed on JunkDrawerLove and relistings to each shops daily and adding new listings weekly to all shops too!  Thanks for looking!  Find something to take home and share your story too!

 photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, syringe pens in colors above here

All Time Most Read Story of the Week, Month and All TimeMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things!  
"It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done.” ---Vincent van Gogh  
Thanks for the visit!  Happy Friday! 

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this!! How awesome!! Thanks so much, I love what you're doing over here. :D I'll have to come through your shop again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so weird! Yesterday morning when I was starting my day with coffee, your HELLAstitchy Art Show popped into my head and I was so surprised that of all the things I needed to get done for the day that your Art Show wandered into my head, so I made a mental note to email you about it.

    Unfortunately my day got so busy by the end of it, I couldn't remember any of my mental notes from the morning.

    This morning I came to my blog to find a certain posting for a friend and lo and behold, there's a comment from you!!!! That has got to be a coincidence from an angel wink!

    So how did your Art Showing go? Hope to hear about it. And many happy sales to you at HELLAstitchy!

    ReplyDelete