Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Washi Tape Collage Art and Inspiration: Creative Outlet for my Hoarding Ways, Project 3

My Washi Tape Collage Art and Inspiration:  Creative Outlet for my Hoarding Ways, Project 3

Sometimes I wander around Etsy until something catches my eye....which used to be dangerous for me as a recovering hoarder.

photo via A Pure Vintage

Now during my old hoarding days, I would have just bought this instantly without thinking, but now I stop and reflect about why or how it caught my eye and for this particular piece it's shape and color.

So instead of buying more things to hoard as easy retail therapy for stress release, I've decided to have art project days with my hoard of washi tapes!

The colors in the Goebel chick place card inspired the washi tape collage art and I don't have any with birds, so I added a little butterfly:

photo via Hoarder Rehab, print available here

These are also inspired by sew and cut strip quilts.  I'm a big fan of Gee Bend quilters and quilts and I do have a few of my own quilts started and when I find them in my hoard and make some room will work on them, but until then... this is as fun and more instant than sewing a quilt!

I am also a big fan of brown craft paper, corrugated card board and book print, especially old browned dictionary paper since I was a child, so this garland would have been right up my alley and the hearts and butterflies top it off!  I did have a difficult time passing this up and adding it to my hoard of hoards!

photo via LaMiaCasa

Instead I made this:


photo via Hoarder Rehab, unframed print available here
simple double sided frame, here

In the past I've used brown craft paper ( I used mainly old fashioned brown grocery bags before plastic took over.  I haven't heard anyone say, "plastic or paper?" in a long time, have you? )and corrugated cardboard in all kinds of projects.  I loved to stash my things in corrugated boxes with dividers and loved the big heavy duty staples in them too!

I'm attracted to all kinds of boxes and I've dispersed most of my box collection on our Etsy shop Hoarder Rehab, except for my cigar boxes!  Anyways, this box caught my eye due to great graphics and dividers inside it!!!  Crazy I know....

photo via missnanniesattic

And of course, right away I started to think about how I could use that snap machine kit and snaps, which led to me thinking about sewing some gauze and eyelet summer shirts and using snaps, instead of buttons!

I'm still thinking about a sewing a gauze shirt with snaps, like the old one I have that's falling apart, but still wear because it's so light and airy for hot days in the garden, but I came to my senses when I thought about what is piled on top of my sewing machine and all the boxes around it!

So for now, instead of collecting another "something" for a future project day, I let the box colors and graphics inspire me to make:

photo via JunkDrawerLoveEtsy, print available here

I just love washi tape, but admit as a recovering hoarder, I have way too much of it!  And the worst part is that I still think I need more!  When I first started buying it, I had no idea what I was going to do with it or at least I can't remember it now and bought mostly bright colors with patterns, but I tend to use muted colors and solid colors.

I use them as cards and mail them with letters to friends and many are in the reversible frames and stacked on windowsills around the house.  They are a reminder for me to do "create" something rather than hoard!

What I Learned to Help My Hoarding Ways:

1.  Consciously stop and think about what I'm going to do with something before I buy it and to spend more time with project days, instead of shopping!  At least if I make a 100 or more of these washi tape collage cards I can give some as a Mother's day gifts, since my mom still corresponds with her many quilter friends by mail!

2.  They take up a whole lot let space to store than my other hoard collections!

What intangible things inspired you today? The warm sunlight on my face while sitting in the backyard grateful the earthquakes have slowed down.

Thank you A Pure Vintage, LaMiaCasa and missnanniesattic for having some eye catching finds to help me figure out my hoarding ways!

Thank you Etsy for my dehoarding outlet and for helping me with my Hoarder Rehab!

Thank you US, Canada, China, UK, South Africa, Malaysia, Netherlands, France, Germany, Czech Republic, Peru, Sweden, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia and Philippines for supporting my  HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things!
  
Click on the shop names to visit my hoard listed daily: HoarderRehabThe Destiny of Things, VintageToGoEasy and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy!  There are about 109 items listed on JunkDrawerLoveEtsy and relistings to each shops daily and adding new listings weekly to all shops too!  

Thanks for looking!  Find something to take home and share your story too!

Related Stories:   Other Creative Outlets

1.  My first washi tape cards, here, but it's more about how I was buying them as retail therapy for stress.

2.  Creative mending for my favorite pair of jeans, here

3.  Advent Calender Tree Forest Project, here.  This project took a month, but it was worth it!

Happy Tuesday, see you Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment