Thursday, May 29, 2014

Spice of Life Enamelware: The Destiny of Things, Story 203

Spice of Life Enamelware:  The Destiny of Things, Story 203

Sometimes information, help, support and dehoarding come in small and big surprises on Etsy!

photo via VintageToGoEasy
Yamata enamelware here and Bumper Harvest enamelware here

I was going to collect Yamata enamelware because I love the stenciled air brushed styling and bought my first piece because of this other stenciled air brushed styled bowl here:

photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here

Let me start again by saying I have or had an extensive bowl collection because my brother and I used to cook a lot and one of our sayings was " no kitchen can have too many bowls," so whenever we went thrifting and saw a bowl we liked, we'd just buy it!

Most of my collection of bowls went to my Aunt on one of my moves.  I think she ended up with most of my Bauer bowls, but I still have many kinds of bowls, even though many have found new homes.  I do have my Grandmother's set of nesting Bauer bowls somewhere in my hoard and if they are stored in my truck, I do hope they have survived the many drives over bumps I seem to manage to drive over!

Anyways, still working on how to empty the truck without hoarding more into the music art room!  So anyways, I had this crazy notion to collect stencil styled air brushed bowls and bought this Yamata bowl to go with the Rose bowl! and with it came these three other enamelware bowls!

photo via VintageToGoEasy, available here

Okay, I am starting to see how my collections end up bulldozing and morphing into a new one! So my stencil styled air brush collection of bowls turned into an instant collection of enamelware bowls!

Now that I don't bake or cook as much due to gluten, soy, dairy allergies I hardly even use bowls anymore, yet I still manage to collect them!

I think if one is a recovering hoarder or even a hoarder in denial what I'm writing is understandable, but it might be hard to imagine if one is NOT a collector!

I'm still not sure what I'm trying to say or where this posting is going.... except I've been listing all my bowls and clearing out my kitchen for the my Grandmother's Bauer bowls stored in the truck along with two different sets of my Grandmother's China!

So I listed the Spice of Life enamelware bowl, however I did not know it was a Spice of  Life bowl nor did I know anything else about it, except for the French saying on it!  Because at the time I listed it, the French translation was all I could research on google and believe me I spent a good amount of time researching!

Quite some time went by and then all of a sudden, a kind Etsyian, Elizabeth of Izzy's Kitchen sent me an email with this information:

These enamel bowls were made to accompany Spice of Life from Corning ware.

I was ecstatic! but before I could change the listing information, she sent me another email asking how much shipping would be with her zip code!



One thing lead to another and before I knew it, it sold!  And now this bowl has a new life and home on a off the grid Alpaca farm in Arizona!  Can you believe that?  And she's from right by me in Pico Rivera!

I couldn't believe it because one of my dreams is to live off the grid in an Earthship and get away from the city!  So I just had to ask how she ended up there and she told me:

She wanted to get away from crazy LA and just happened upon 45 acres of land and after retiring early built it up and is very happy now!

45 acres!!! Retired early!  She really is living a dream life!  And it's my dream too, but without the Alpacas.  And she's a hoarder too and has an Etsy shop too!  I am so happy and thankful to have met and  be in such good company with someone living a dream like mine! and able to do it with hoarder tendencies!

So much hope and inspiration in that for me!



Saying Goodbye:  I am so thankful this has gone to a collector of Spice of Life Corningware!  And so happy to know that I can live out my dreams, even if I can't stop hoarding because Elizabeth is already doing it!

What I Learned:

1.  I am not the only who keeps things from all my relatives from great grandmothers, grandmothers, and great aunts and she love to shop at antique malls and thrift stores too and although she lives 25 miles out from the closest town and 50 miles from a city big enough for a Walmart and Home Depot, she loves being out in the country and can not live with traffic or big cities anymore.

That is me too and as soon as Mr. Oz retires we are outta here!

2.  I think this posting is a reminder of my long term goals and dreams of our off the grid, self sustaining recycling home built mostly from recyclables or an Earthship.  And also a reminder of my short term goals of organizing the music art room enough to be able to unload my truck, so it's no longer a storage facility.

And to dehoard all I can, so when we do move it's not a lot of burdeness crazy hoard, but light and joyful!

Thank you Elizabeth of lizzyzkitchen on Etsy, for not one but several happy surprises!  Thank you for helping me dehoard one item at a time, finding so much pleasantness in common, the realization that I can be successful with my dreams hoarder or not and for helping me stay focused on my long and short term goals!

Be sure to visit her shop, lizzyzkitchen, she is having a Father's day sale until June 15, so check it out!  She specializes in Corningware, Pyrex, Fransicanware, Tupperware, Princess House, Jewelry and more!  My favorites are her knitted and homemade, especially the handy bottle carriers, here and her beautiful hand embroidered towels, here.

lizzyzkitchen has over 230 items of fun!

Thank you Etsy for sending a stranger kind enough to email me information that turned into more than a happy sale!

Thank you US, Germany, France, Luxembourg, India and Pakistan for your visits since yesterday's posting, 

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and one has just been met at The Destiny of Things, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop five days a week!  
 
Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 176 items ,  The Destiny of Things-190 items , VintageToGoEasy - 165 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 144 items!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!

Ran out of time for related stories....but still enough time for a quote!

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." ---Another moment of silence for Maya Angelou, author of "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" the first book of hers I read in college.

 

1 comment:

  1. Instant collections inside of collections, I do totally understand how that happens, even to a non-hoarder. I am glad that in your process you have found someone like you who is living your dream. What an encouragement that must be to you.

    ReplyDelete