Friday, May 16, 2014

Dexter Theme Party Red Syringe Pen: The Destiny of Things, Story 197

Dexter Theme Party Red Syringe Pen:  The Destiny of Things, Story 197

The Dexter series has been long over, but Dexter lives on!

 Retro Vintage style syringe pen in red with red ink here
Retro syringe pens in green, blue and yellow with black ink, here

I didn't think Dexter theme parties were still happening until I got this note:

I'm using the pen as a final decoration on a cake I'm making with a "Dexter" theme. The item arrived very quickly. I am very pleased with this order!

How cool, is that?  I would love to be a fly on the wall and see that Dexter cake!  I wonder what a Dexter cake tastes like?  White cake with strawberry or raspberry cream filling?  Sugar blood spatter topping?

Retro vintage style syringe pen in red with red ink here
Retro vintage style syringe pens in green, blue and yellow with black ink, here

These syringe pens bring back many childhood memories for me, which I wrote about when Caitlin from HELLAstitchy  bought some last month for her upcoming art show this weekend, May 21st.  Read the posting here.

But now with the word, "cake" involved and blood spatter, it reminds me of how much my students would have loved these pens during Halloween when we'd study magic and get ready for Halloween fun by making fake movie blood!  Only because not only does it look like real blood, but it's delicious!  And I don't mean, ketchup!

It's not only a chemistry lesson for students, but a good way to introduce Blood types, red arteries and blue veins and why blood is red and not blue when cut occurs.  For art, it's a good way to introduce color mixing with red, green and blue food coloring.  For writing, they can all write with their syringe pens and so on!

We used to try out all kinds of recipes to make fake movie blood, starting with one from a Magic Activity Book I have which is also a good introduction to science and math blended into the world of magic.  It's some where in my hoard of hoards!

Fake movie blood we have tried in the classroom could be made with corn syrup, pancake syrup, Hershey's chocolate syrup, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, peanut butter, tomato sauce, beet root, strawberry or any red jello, red Kool aid, thickened with baking soda or cornstarch and colored with food colors of red, green or blue and powdered baking chocolate.

They'll have a blast writing down the recipes, learning dry and liquid measure, taste testing, blood spattering, wound making, blood squirting, play dying and the list goes on and on.  BEWARE:  some of these stain more than others and some may end up not tasting so good, but that too is a lesson and something for them to chart and write notations about too!

There's also inedible fake movie blood to make too with hair gel and hand sanitizer.  No worries, once you get them started it may not end!

 Retro Vintage style syringe pen in red with red ink here
Retro syringe pens in green, blue and yellow with black ink, here

Saying goodbye:  I have my own stash of these to give away because there are plenty of relatives in the medical field in my family and everyone loves one of these as part of their gift wrap topping.  

Recently, I just heard one of my friends that's a nurse tell me how she wasn't looking forward to doing work related paperwork, so I sent her two of these.  She wrote me back and told me that she was so happy to have a pen to help her poke along!

What I Learned:

1.  These do make life more fun in small and big ways!  For anyone in the medical or dental field, as home or office decor for the young and young at heart!  For travel fun, pretend play doctor and nurse kits for children, pocket pens for paramedics, pharmacists, dentists, dental hygienists, etc.   Fun give away for children who've made it through a difficult health appointment.

I think this would make a great teacher gift too, especially for their boring to tedious, but necessary fire and earthquake drill kits.  A red one would be easy to spot and quick to use and it writes in red, so any messages and all messages sent to Emergency HQ, like attendance count (mandatory), students at out of class educational appointments (mandatory), missing and injured (for staged practice drills) could be seen, noted and prioritized right away, etc.

2.  Not only am I saying goodbye to some of my favorite hoard, but it seems I'm saying goodbye to my good old teaching days too, which most of it, I do NOT miss!  But maybe the more I say goodbye and the bad parts of teaching stop resurfacing, it'll make room for all the good times which seem to be from my early years of teaching to the worst being with Open Court reading and all the focus on National and State test scores.

Thank you Etsy buyer from JunkDrawerLoveEtsy for your kind note that let me know how one of my items is being used because look at it all it brought back to me!  Thank you so much!

Thank you Etsy for another happy win win order with more than one happy outcome!

Thank you US, UK, Ukraine, Luxembourg, France, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Philippines, Australia and many others for coming to read and support my HoarderRehab and The Destiny of Things with your visits!   

My NEW GOAL is to have 175 items listed on each shop and one has just been met at The Destiny of Things, so I'll be listing at least 1 new item daily on each shop five days a week!  Thanks for looking!  Maybe you'll find something to take home and share your story too!

Click on the shop names to visit new hoard listed daily: HoarderRehab with 169 items ,  The Destiny of Things-184 items , VintageToGoEasy - 159 items and now JunkDrawerLoveEtsy - 132 items!  

Related Stories:  

1.  Syringe Pen Props in HELLAstitchy's Art Show:  The Destiny of Things, Story 186, read here.

If you are in the San Jose, California area, check out the art show on May 21st.  Caitlin is a featured artist at the RAWartists.org show! or check out her Etsy shop, HELLAstitchy 
 
Most Read Story of the Day and Week:  1847 Roger Bros Silverware - Eternally Yours Pattern:  The Destiny of Things, Story #113, here 
 
All Time Most Read Story of the Month and All TimeMy Louis Vuitton Collection the end of mine for the beginning of someone else.  The last piece of my LV collection, my 80s LV gold cornered wallet is available here at The Destiny of Things!    
 
"Therapy only works when we have a genuine desire to know ourselves as we are, not as we would like to be." ---Dr. Hannibal Lector 

No comments:

Post a Comment